EXTREMELY ABUSIVE BURN IN - poorly matched DT150 drivers bludgeoned into submission
Aug 28, 2010 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Exit Pupil

100+ Head-Fier
my second pair of DT150 because i just love them so much. my first pair went well with the usual burn in and are stunning phones. i have always been a bit dubious about burn in but still feel it achieves something.

my second pair of DT150 were all over the place, with an obviously and irritatingly unbalanced chanel and frequency reproduction. So i thought before taking them back, lets fry the things and see what happens.

i put them through the musical fidelity amp at full volume with extreme bass rich and full/excessive frequency music, horrendous i know, but there was no distortion. i can hear them across the house while they're hugging a pillow. i can hear the bass in the room. i was honestly concerned of them melting down and catching fire while i was out.

i'm onto my fifth day of this procedure 24/7, and the results are nothing short of stunning.

through brute electrical and mechanical force, these phones have melted/transformed into possibly the silkiest and most holographic ear pieces i've yet worn. the bass is so lucid and elastic it sends shivers up your spine.

they're not exy phones, and i love a good experiment, so i'll keep it going another few days.

so, when i think of burn in, i'm not normally thinking of it rectifying such an horrendously imbalanced and nasty sounding pair of phones which are basically faulty. this may not be the case with all phones or DT150 of course.

i'm not convinced that even a 1000hr 'normal' burn in in would have rectified or even touched the issues these phones were suffering. they needed a sledge hammer.

i have my Ultrasone Pro900 arriving next week mmmmmmmmm. lets see if they can match the 'faulty' DT150

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 31
That sounds horrible... I would never have the balls to do that to a pair of headphones that I owned. I've never gone past 9 oclock on my amp, and I cringe at what 5 oclock would be like...

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 31
i can confirm that from a distance the DT150's have more balls than many small hifi systems i've come across :D
i cant believe their refusal to distort. just took them off the pillow and if the ear speakers were a couple of metres apart youd have a nice little office hifi. the BBC knows their crap with this phone.

what matters is the end result of sheer bliss in a headphone. and i'm big on ear care and protection etc. infact, i think half the members on this forum suffer hearing damage/loss as a result of our interest.

hey, at the end of the day, its just a few hundred grams of tin a rubber LOL

any advice for the pro900 burn in?

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 31
I get scared enough when I forget to turn down the master volume prior to starting a game or something. It's always a race to the little speaker icon when it happens. So, needless to say, I'd be too afraid to do something like that.
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 31
It sure didn't work for my first DT990s. They had a high frequency imbalance that made the right side sound more trebly. Of course, I never tried them at full volume.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #9 of 31

Quote:
I have heard of crazier methods, such as microwaving your headphones.

Flaming-in your headphones is the new craze around here, folks.

When I have sibilance on a headphone, I just go to the most sibilant song, and A-B repeat (a 1 second) section that SSSSS in the song, and continue for 24 hours at high volume.
Kinda worked. SSS, repeat; SSS, repeat.

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #12 of 31
I usually leave my gear on most of the day to allow burn-in and keep things warmed up for me, whenever that mood may strike me. I might try this tonight, abusive technique, with my 990s.  hmmmmm!

Sep 1, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 31
well, i 'accidentally' left the pro900s on all night at a monstrous volume playing nasty music. i had to wrap them in two pillows and a king size doonah and hope for no fire. you can still feel the bass pumping through it all. i always quick check (very quickly!) before wrapping to make sure there is no distortion at all.  i used about 90% of my MF volume for the pro900, compared to 100% for the dt150, but the dt150 is harder to drive.

i haven't checked their state of being yet, but i'd say they can be called 'run in', physically anyway.

i'm treating these phones as 'tin and rubber' and love a good experiment, so dont do this if you're a delicate flower with your material things.

the felt mods are simple things which can come later.

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #14 of 31
Any update on the burn in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back