EXTREME/HARSH burn-in of Beyerdynamic DT 770 80ohm = dt770 80ohm>>>>>Sennheiser HD650. SHAME ON YOU HEAD-FI!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 14, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #91 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In what way did the aviation leather pads make the DT770 sound bad (just curious)?

yeah, wondering too
biggrin.gif

I've asked QQQ he tried both on his 770CE/250 and he said that the difference wasn't drastic, and that the aviation had better isolation...which is something I crave for as the CE sounds awesome but its isolation is a far cry from the Pro
frown.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #92 of 102
The aviation pads definitely isolate better, but they seem to muddy things up some, and to narrow the soundstage. Not drastic, but noticeable IMO.

I want someone to explain to me how the COLOR of the leather can change the sound (between the black and the cognac). The pads are 100% identical except for the color of the leather. So the color itself changes the sound? I'm sorry, but that is a bridge too far
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #93 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The aviation pads definitely isolate better, but they seem to muddy things up some, and to narrow the soundstage. Not drastic, but noticeable IMO.

I want someone to explain to me how the COLOR of the leather can change the sound (between the black and the cognac). The pads are 100% identical except for the color of the leather. So the color itself changes the sound? I'm sorry, but that is a bridge too far
biggrin.gif

many ppl on HCFR told me that the black velours from Manufaktur was softer than the stock gray
redface.gif

OK well, I could use more comfort and more isolation, so I think I will order the aviation pads
atsmile.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #96 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the leather pads are much better on the DT770 than the Velours

even on summertime? I remember that car seats made in leather are a major pain on summer, where velours is usually a lot cooler
atsmile.gif

that's my last question before pulling the trigger, thanks
beyersmile.png

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #97 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all i'm left with is fullsome sweet silken musicality.

I'll stuff some of that into me pipe the next time I light up, and then report back with my own results.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #98 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, the aggressive burn in has escalated drastically. my x-can v3 is wound through to 'its' 10 mark (about 3/4?) with bass rich clean music. i have the dt770 closed tight on a book and i can hear them from one end of the house to the other. no mercy is being shown in this trial here. i know, i must be deriving some sort of sick and twisted pleasure in this process. unbelievably, the phones are not distorting, but i'm wondering if they will pop soon enough
biggrin.gif

has anyone cooked a pair of phones during burn in?

i have definitely noticed that most of the boxy/boomy resonance of the 770 disappears with good amplification. they could possibly benefit from some extra internal baffling.

Why not put your HD650 through the same extreme burn in process? Any reason to believe that they wouldn't benefit as well? Don't you like to do apples to apples comparisons?

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #99 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
even on summertime? I remember that car seats made in leather are a major pain on summer, where velours is usually a lot cooler
atsmile.gif

that's my last question before pulling the trigger, thanks
beyersmile.png

Hasn't been an issue for me.

Aug 14, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #100 of 102
hey I was read this thread and would like to know, which headphones do you recommend for listening to heavy music?
Im looking for headphones by beyerdynamics for listening to some metal, and plugging it into my multi-effector and play guitar.

theyre dt770 80 - 250 -pro - dt770pro80- dt990 - dt990pro etc etc
im sooo confused.

It would also be great if I could use them for vocal monitoring when im recording vocals using an interface.

thanks!

Jul 23, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #101 of 102
Now see, i think the DT770/80Ohm are far less sibilant then my Grado SR125's or any of my IEMs, Does the bass sound a little forward right out of the box...i would have to say yes; definitely not the most balanced i have heard out of the box.
I drive all my headphones from a  FIIO ALPEN on +12db Gain (except iem's and Grados)  and feed them WAVE files ripped directly from CD 16/44.1 and played with Audirvana Plus. I hope the mid's come forward a but more, but otherwise there IS a ton of accuracy to these.
Listening to old Jungle/D&B you can hear the details in the samples at all layers of the track. Tracks that weren't properly produced in the first place are a crap shoot, but thats with any headphone. The bass sounds  properly extended, and they seem to resemble a properly EQ'ed club system more than anything else. By the way i am listening to tracks i have been listening/have listened to for 20+ years on all different setups from original vinyl to cd, otherwise i wouldn't comment.

Are 650's more accurate? Probably but as pointed out many times, they are in a different category in terms of price/tech so i'm not sure it's a fair comparison. Bottom line is these sound great, are better than many headphones i have owned and used, and properly driven from an amp, bring out a ton of detail especially in timestreched voice samples.

I can't understand why anyone would buy headphones then crank on them like that; would you buy a new car then beat the crap out of it? Makes about as much sense to do that to headphones. I don't burn mine in, i just listen to them; thats kinda why i bought them. Having new cans burn in a bit while listening to them in the process is like watching them grow up and i wouldn't want to miss that.

Lastly, i don't get all the flaming in here; ok granted there was a bit of humor that may have missed the mark with a few folks but some of the comments were just really nasty....

yeah i don't get it,i thought the forum was about headphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back