Exceptional in Every Detail: Say Hello to the IE 600
Apr 3, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #301 of 2,225
This may seem like a random question, but would the wireless cable that goes with the ie100pro work with the ie600?
Great question! The IE 100 Pro wireless module uses the Pentaconn Ear system, which, although looks similar at a glance, is not MMCx compatible.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Apr 3, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #302 of 2,225
We know Head-Fi likes to swap cables for a variety of reasons to individualize the listening experience. Sennheiser is working with 3rd party manufacturers on developing additional cable options if you want to venture away from the factory cable. Many ship worldwide (but please contact them opposed to Sennheiser for localized pricing, support, and availability) - the list includes (but may not be limited to):
Effect Audio’s ConX MMCX worked perfectly on the IE900 before too.

Apr 4, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #305 of 2,225
@Sennheiser Is there a particular reason behind the sudden price increase of the ie900? Now the price to performance ratio compared to the ie600 is way out of balance. Will the ie 600 also be increased in price?
The cost of these materials (and their availability), the cost of manufacturing, and shipping have all skyrocketed even before 2022. These changes are never taken lightly and are a last resort after shouldering as much of these increases as possible.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Apr 9, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #307 of 2,225
This is not a review. Probably doesn't even qualify as a first impressions. After some shipping delays caused by city lockdown, I finally got my IE600s from HiFiGo today. These things are really cool. I know people said they were small but I didn't realize what that meant until I got them in my hands today. I'm not really an IEM guy since I only own a pair of Shure SE846 that I bought 7 years ago and used for my daily commute for work and never explored anything else in portable audio. I read a lot of people saying that the SE846 is unable to compete with newer stuff nowadays and I can sort of see what people mean since the treble seems to drop off and sometimes leaves me wondering where did it go and then I have to actively listen to the songs for the detail that I normally hear when I'm listening to my full sized headphones on my home rig. It's still a very enjoyable listen though and has good mids and good bass. However, this post isn't really about the SE846.

On the IE600 there is incredible detail and the treble is way better compared to my SE846. On some tracks though I found that they didn't sound as good on the IE600. I was noticing it the most in certain oldies tracks from the 60s that end up sounding really thin. Could be that the IE600 isn't as forgiving for bad recordings compared to the SE846. Things sounded super clean and detailed across the frequency range but I just keep feeling like everything sounded "small". I kept wanting to crank up the volume higher and higher but then it just got too loud for comfortable listening. This confused me since I know the reviews on the IE600 have generally been pretty great so far. Then it occurred to me that maybe these are more power hungry so I was losing detail. The SE846 impedance is 9 ohms while the IE600 is double that at 18 ohms. At this point in time I should state that I had been listening to the IE600 just plugged right into my Samsung Galaxy S10+. No additional DAC/amp dongle or anything. To test my theory that it was my phone that was underpowered I added a 1/4" adapter to the the IE600 and plugged them into my Schiit Mjolnir 2. I had started with the gain on low and the volume knob turned way down since I didn't want to accidentally blow up my new IEMs in case it was too much power but it turned out that was fear was completely unfounded. I ended up cranking up my volume up pretty high and in high gain mode. I should mention that I also have a Freya+ preamp in the chain that is controlling the volume to a manageable level. The IE600 sounds fantastic with my desktop amplification setup. I just need an aftermarket cable that's longer than the standard factory one as my amp is a touch far from my desk. Anyway, my experiment with my desktop rig tells me that I need to up my portable audio game if I want to take the IE600 with me to work on a daily basis.

Any suggestions? I had been looking at the Cayin RU6 for a while, or maybe Qudelix 5K, or maybe a Dragonfly Cobalt? There's also the new Hifiman HM800 but that's so new that no one knows anything about it plus you'd have a problem with the cables not fitting. I will probably go with a wired solution rather than rely on Bluetooth since it seems like a compromise in audio quality for the convenience of being wireless.

Apr 9, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #308 of 2,225
This is not a review. Probably doesn't even qualify as a first impressions. After some shipping delays caused by city lockdown, I finally got my IE600s from HiFiGo today. These things are really cool. I know people said they were small but I didn't realize what that meant until I got them in my hands today. I'm not really an IEM guy since I only own a pair of Shure SE846 that I bought 7 years ago and used for my daily commute for work and never explored anything else in portable audio. I read a lot of people saying that the SE846 is unable to compete with newer stuff nowadays and I can sort of see what people mean since the treble seems to drop off and sometimes leaves me wondering where did it go and then I have to actively listen to the songs for the detail that I normally hear when I'm listening to my full sized headphones on my home rig. It's still a very enjoyable listen though and has good mids and good bass. However, this post isn't really about the SE846.

On the IE600 there is incredible detail and the treble is way better compared to my SE846. On some tracks though I found that they didn't sound as good on the IE600. I was noticing it the most in certain oldies tracks from the 60s that end up sounding really thin. Could be that the IE600 isn't as forgiving for bad recordings compared to the SE846. Things sounded super clean and detailed across the frequency range but I just keep feeling like everything sounded "small". I kept wanting to crank up the volume higher and higher but then it just got too loud for comfortable listening. This confused me since I know the reviews on the IE600 have generally been pretty great so far. Then it occurred to me that maybe these are more power hungry so I was losing detail. The SE846 impedance is 9 ohms while the IE600 is double that at 18 ohms. At this point in time I should state that I had been listening to the IE600 just plugged right into my Samsung Galaxy S10+. No additional DAC/amp dongle or anything. To test my theory that it was my phone that was underpowered I added a 1/4" adapter to the the IE600 and plugged them into my Schiit Mjolnir 2. I had started with the gain on low and the volume knob turned way down since I didn't want to accidentally blow up my new IEMs in case it was too much power but it turned out that was fear was completely unfounded. I ended up cranking up my volume up pretty high and in high gain mode. I should mention that I also have a Freya+ preamp in the chain that is controlling the volume to a manageable level. The IE600 sounds fantastic with my desktop amplification setup. I just need an aftermarket cable that's longer than the standard factory one as my amp is a touch far from my desk. Anyway, my experiment with my desktop rig tells me that I need to up my portable audio game if I want to take the IE600 with me to work on a daily basis.

Any suggestions? I had been looking at the Cayin RU6 for a while, or maybe Qudelix 5K, or maybe a Dragonfly Cobalt? There's also the new Hifiman HM800 but that's so new that no one knows anything about it plus you'd have a problem with the cables not fitting. I will probably go with a wired solution rather than rely on Bluetooth since it seems like a compromise in audio quality for the convenience of being wireless.
Thanks for this.

I’d recommend looking at the BTR5 - for me the best sound/value/use proposition.

Apr 9, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #309 of 2,225

I used a Note 10 with a basic dongle to get the USB-C over to 1/8" and it was really bad. I've tried a number of solutions before settling (for now ha!) on the Dragonfly Red. I've come to appreciate it's sweeter treble. Because In ears are such an intimate thing, the chain is really really important, as the IE series will quickly point out the flaws. Enjoy the 600!

Apr 11, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #310 of 2,225
Is the price of the IE 600 increasing as it did with the IE 900?

Apr 11, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #311 of 2,225
Last edited:

Apr 11, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #312 of 2,225
IE 600 is not increasing at this time.

Gotta say, it would kinda suck for the price to rise before the IEM is even available to most of us. :wink:

Apr 11, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #313 of 2,225

S10+ headphone out is pretty weak, and soft sounding (I still own one till now). For dongle with neutral-bright IEM, my first pick would be LP W2, followed by Cayin RU6 (Nos mode)

Apr 11, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #314 of 2,225

For mobile use, I have a DragonFly Red, Ear Studio ES100, and a BTR5. The Dragonfly works well with most of my IEMs and headphones, I use it around the house with a phone or Mac. On the go, I prefer the sound of the ES100. To my ears, it seems more natural, maybe warmer? than the BTR5. I also prefer the phone app and the fact it has a clip comes in very handy, as well. Just for reference, I rotate between Shure se846 & se215, 64 Audio u12t, and Unique Melody MEST mkII. (customs) Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back