Exceptional in Every Detail: Say Hello to the IE 600
Mar 16, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #226 of 2,317
So how many stars would an IEM have that has same or more advantages than IE600 and far fewer problems?
8 stars? 9?

It is not that the rating has to be applied with fixed or simple rules, but at least it should be consistent, and at least for me it is not consistent that an IEM with as many negative points as positive has a 9/10, or almost perfect.

It's one of the things that keeps getting me down on audio reviews, and I know it happens to a lot of other people I've discussed it with.
And that's why I say it, simply.
It is not the way you are thinking about it.
Sometimes the negatives are when compared to the competition or high tier earphones.
The star rating, which should always be treated with a grain of salt, reflects the actual experience when listening to music with the rated product.
This is a 4.5 star but also the much cheaper DUNU Titan S is a 4.5 star.
It is difficult to explain, people should be better read the whole text than hanging in the rating.
The IE300 is 4 star rating, then there is the Headfi system with 5 stars with half increments.
Different than a rating system with all the decimals.
My advice is don't hang into the rating just read to get an idea.
Then you should listen by yourself.

Mar 16, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #227 of 2,317
In this case I am referring to all those comments and/or reviews that assure without any question that the IE600 is the best DD IEM on the market.

I hope so, because it attracts me and I want to buy it, but even if it seems so to me, I would always say it subjectively (it is the one I like the most), but it is not appropriate to assure it in a taxitive and general way as an absolute truth .
Says who?
A couple of reviewers who are more influential than the others, so they spread the word and some people hold it as the only truth.
Some other reviewers didn't rate it as the best DD iem in the market.
Don't get me wrong, this is great, I love it but I would be more cautious and less absolute in calling it the best DD in the market.
I think that this reviewers count themselves as the golden standard, the worldwide audio judges.
You should take all reviews with a grain of salt.

Mar 16, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #228 of 2,317
@firesign

You should also read the negatives in conjunction with the positives.

As an example, bass is not so visceral but it has great extension and technicalities.

Soundstage is on the intimate side but it has sharp and pinpoint imaging.

Treble is not so extended but it is smooth sounding

It is not ultimately resolving but it also not analytical and clinical.

Etc, as you can understand your negatives are some other person positives and vice versa.

Mar 16, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #229 of 2,317
OK , the review is now complete after adding my notoriously bad photos.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sennheiser-ie-600.25733/review/28153/

I have also rephrased the negatives because written language is very difficult and some people understand different than the intended meaning.

TLDR; The IE600 is truly exceptional and one of the best tuned earphones in the market.

No , I don't think that it is the best DD in the world nor a IE900 killer.

Thank you for reading.

Mar 16, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #230 of 2,317
It is not the way you are thinking about it.
Sometimes the negatives are when compared to the competition or high tier earphones.
The star rating, which should always be treated with a grain of salt, reflects the actual experience when listening to music with the rated product.
This is a 4.5 star but also the much cheaper DUNU Titan S is a 4.5 star.
It is difficult to explain, people should be better read the whole text than hanging in the rating.
The IE300 is 4 star rating, then there is the Headfi system with 5 stars with half increments.
Different than a rating system with all the decimals.
My advice is don't hang into the rating just read to get an idea.
Then you should listen by yourself.
That's the problem. For most reviewers, most IEMs they review are 4 or 4.5 or 5 stars. That is not right!

And this will be my last comment on this thread. It is not a question of being "staining it" more.

Just wait for it to be available in the European desert, and to be able to try it to see how it is.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #231 of 2,317
OK , the review is now complete after adding my notoriously bad photos.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sennheiser-ie-600.25733/review/28153/

I have also rephrased the negatives because written language is very difficult and some people understand different than the intended meaning.

TLDR; The IE600 is truly exceptional and one of the best tuned earphones in the market.

No , I don't think that it is the best DD in the world nor a IE900 killer.

Thank you for reading.
Give your photography a little more credit than that! 😎

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Mar 16, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #232 of 2,317
In this case I am referring to all those comments and/or reviews that assure without any question that the IE600 is the best DD IEM on the market.

I hope so, because it attracts me and I want to buy it, but even if it seems so to me, I would always say it subjectively (it is the one I like the most), but it is not appropriate to assure it in a taxitive and general way as an absolute truth .
In order to not offen IE900 owner who do not want to admit that the IE600 might potenially be a better iem, we should from now on say the IE600 one of the best in market not the best lol
but hell yeah, i am used to money no object high end head fi set up like my Carbon and STAX SR-X9000 / sony R10/ Utopia etc... and still thinks that the IE600 score a 8.5 out of 10 with in my collection really speaks out how good they are. its better than my Sony ier-Z1r...

Mar 16, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #233 of 2,317
Beauty Better [detail retrieval and synergy] is in the eyes ears of the beholder audiophile

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Mar 17, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #234 of 2,317
That's the problem. For most reviewers, most IEMs they review are 4 or 4.5 or 5 stars. That is not right!

And this will be my last comment on this thread. It is not a question of being "staining it" more.

Just wait for it to be available in the European desert, and to be able to try it to see how it is.
After you try it, kindly post here and let me know if it is worth the 4.5 star rating!

Mar 17, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #235 of 2,317
It doesn't matter even if he rates it 1 out 10. There is no perfect headphone or IEM in the world, it comes down to personal preference in the end. You just can't force your brain to like something.
The popular headphones are liked by many people on an average scale, it doesn't mean it is liked by all.

I have seen many reviews with 5 star rating listing so many cons. Like you said in the earlier posts, those cons do not effect the rating because they may not effect the ultimate enjoyment you get out that particular product or those cons may be pros to others.

In my experience, don't take the reviews to blindly to buy something. Use them as a reference, try to find the points which will convince you.

Mar 17, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #236 of 2,317
Honest reviews are useful for establishing a reference and get an idea of the product.
There are various ways of reviewing.
Some reviewers think that they are some kind of audio judges and are absolute and dogmatic.
Some other judge the products within the margin of a target curve or scientific measurements.
I prefer the other style of describing what I am hearing and let the reader decide.
This is why I seldomly take sides.
Reviewing is not about what I like but about what the reader might like or not from the reviewed product.
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Mar 17, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #237 of 2,317
High end performance is not only about tuning.
The IE900 is better in any given technical point, from resonance control to soundstage, control, clarity, detail retrieval, resolution, articulation, pretty much everything.

But again many people will buy the IE600 for it's tuning which is most important thing as long as technicalities are not subpar.
And IE600 technicalities are not subpar, they just not in the same level with the IE900.

Simple as that

So its a very good iem but not as technically advanced as the ie 900 territory ?
But tonality is the ie 600 that you prefer a lot?

I wonder if you had any chances to hear the Sony IER Z1R and have any thoughts on how it compares?

Also wonder if you ever heard the hd820 and if the ie 600 has a similar tonality to it 🤔

Thanks for your feedback! 😁😃🐅

Mar 17, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #238 of 2,317
So its a very good iem but not as technically advanced as the ie 900 territory ?
But tonality is the ie 600 that you prefer a lot?

I wonder if you had any chances to hear the Sony IER Z1R and have any thoughts on how it compares?

Also wonder if you ever heard the hd820 and if the ie 600 has a similar tonality to it 🤔

Thanks for your feedback! 😁😃🐅
Exactly, very good and technically superb but not in the IE900 territory.
Of course the rule of diminishing returns applies here as well.
The more expensive IE900 is not two times better.
When we get personal, then yes I prefer the IE600 tonality, more to my liking and better match for classical music.
I have reviewed the HD820 here.
Quite different from the IE600.
Still prefer the latter between the two.

Mar 17, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #240 of 2,317
So between the IE 600 and the 900 wich is better suited for modern music like edm/pop/rock/metal? And which will be more forgiven to bad recordings?
Both are genre agnostic and suitable for all kinds of music but strictly speaking for the music you are asking the IE900 might have the edge since it is more punchy, lively and full bodied but then you loose the mids magic of the IE600.
IE600 is more forgiving to bad recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back