EX1000 or IE8, can't decide.
Mar 25, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #46 of 68
The XBA-1s are a little lower than the EX600s...but it's not a huge gap. The timbre of the EX600 gives it the edge. But I'd recommend the XBA-1 for your purposes. Especially for the isolation.

Mar 25, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #47 of 68

Quote:
Seems like a great way of assessing build quality to me. Going by damage to demo sets, that is. Same reason I didn't by a Nintendo 3DS -- one of the buttons on the demo system was sticking so I just assumed they were all like that.

*thumbs up*

Well, I just mentioned, not like I was bashing it and saying "it sucks!". Well, take it as a grain of salt if you want. 

I just thought the potential buyer could take it into consideration before deciding. 

Mar 25, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #48 of 68
Come on guys, can we just get along?
wink_face.gif

I was surprised though by the cable failure of my EX600, especially considering the short period of time I had and I didn't use it much after  I got the IE80. I didn't abuse it for sure as most of the time it was just sitting on the desk at home.

I am glad the IE80 comes with a 2 yr warranty. Given how much I am using the IE80, I am quite confident to say the cable will break probably  long before the warranty expires.

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #49 of 68

Quote:
wink_face.gif

I was surprised though by the cable failure of my EX600, especially considering the short period of time I had and I didn't use it much after  I got the IE80. I didn't abuse it for sure as most of the time it was just sitting on the desk at home.

I am glad the IE80 comes with a 2 yr warranty. Given how much I am using the IE80, I am quite confident to say the cable will break probably  long before the warranty expires.

See what I meant? The cable is not as strong as it seems to be. 

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #50 of 68

Quote:
wink_face.gif

The IE8/IE80 cables are durable. They rarely fail although the IE8 cable is more durable IMO.

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #52 of 68

Quote:
The XBA-1s are a little lower than the EX600s...but it's not a huge gap. The timbre of the EX600 gives it the edge. But I'd recommend the XBA-1 for your purposes. Especially for the isolation.

I guess i'll wait for the XBA-1ip go on sale or ill wait for the waterproof variant. Well the only issues i heard so far of the EX1000 are those who have the EX600 cable with it. The EX1000 sold outside of the US has the RK- EX1000LP and the RK-EX1000SP cables while the US version comes with the EX600LP i believe. Its pretty hard to find a replacement in the states as of now i only found it at soundhouse.co.jp

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #53 of 68

Quote:
The IE8/IE80 cables are durable. They rarely fail although the IE8 cable is more durable IMO.

That's good to know but with enough cycles the cable will break at some point due to fatigue. Seeing how short lived the cable was for my EX600, I am positive the IE80 cable will break (with my "help"
wink_face.gif
) before the 2-yr warranty expires.

Mar 25, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #54 of 68

Quote:
That's good to know but with enough cycles the cable will break at some point due to fatigue. Seeing how short lived the cable was for my EX600, I am positive the IE80 cable will break (with my "help"
wink_face.gif
) before the 2-yr warranty expires.

Its possible but highly unlikely lol. I slammed my IE8 cable in my car door and pulled it big time and no hint of damage. Its real strong :).

Mar 25, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #55 of 68
I absolutely see what you mean and agree with your agenda. A single reported case on a forum and damage to two demo units is an excellent way of assessing build quality. Open-and-shut case.

Quote:
See what I meant? The cable is not as strong as it seems to be. 

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #56 of 68

Quote:
Its possible but highly unlikely lol. I slammed my IE8 cable in my car door and pulled it big time and no hint of damage. Its real strong :).

I am gonna slam the cable with my car door if it doesn't break by the time the warranty expires. If that's still not enough to break it, then I will give up for good.
wink_face.gif

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #58 of 68

Quote:
I absolutely see what you mean and agree with your agenda. A single reported case on a forum and damage to two demo units is an excellent way of assessing build quality. Open-and-shut case.

Well, I don't know what's your problem with your sarcasms. But anyway, if you think they are durable, that's up to you. However, anyone buying it and finding a cable failure shouldn't be disappointed because you apparently said none of that is going to happen. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #59 of 68

Quote:
[The EX1000s] are not supposed to go inside deeply. They are supposed to stay outside a 'lil, like earbuds.

Not quite. The EX1000s are nothing like earbuds fit-wise AT ALL. The EX1000 may not have the deep insertion method of Etymotic IEMs --which are NOT your typical IEM-- or a couple other 'deep-fitting' IEMs, but the EX1000s most definitely have a standard IN-EAR insertion method. The difference is that the EX1000's housings do NOT sit inside the ear canal (quite a few other IEM's housings don't, BTW), but the nozzles and tips --unlike earbuds-- actually do, and depending on your ear canal shape and tips used, the Sonys can, in fact, be inserted quite deeply.

You've made a very wrong generalisation about the EX600 cables already --there's a 77-page EX600 thread with plenty of EX600 owners, and only one person that I know of has reported cable issues--, and you have written other similar posts in other threads giving wrong information. This is not only a disservice to the HF community, but also to those who view these threads but do not post/register.

Mar 26, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #60 of 68

Quote:
Not quite. The EX1000s are nothing like earbuds fit-wise AT ALL. The EX1000 may not have the deep insertion method of Etymotic IEMs --which are NOT your typical IEM-- or a couple other 'deep-fitting' IEMs, but the EX1000s most definitely have a standard IN-EAR insertion method. The difference is that the EX1000's housings do NOT sit inside the ear canal (quite a few other IEM's housings don't, BTW), but the nozzles and tips --unlike earbuds-- actually do, and depending on your ear canal shape and tips used, the Sonys can, in fact, be inserted quite deeply.

You've made a very wrong generalisation about the EX600 cables already --there's a 77-page EX600 thread with plenty of EX600 owners, and only one person that I know of has reported cable issues--, and you have written other similar posts in other threads giving wrong information. This is not only a disservice to the HF community, but also to those who view these threads but do not post/register.

Did you read properly? I said "'lil", which suggests there are a bit like earbuds, but they are not. Maybe you should read properly before pointing out something wrong next time? As I said, if there would be a cable failure, don't be disappointed. But if there isn't, then good for you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back