EX1000 or IE8, can't decide.
Mar 21, 2012 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

geared2play

Head-Fier
I am fairly new to high-end IEM. Best one I had is UE TF10, but Tf10 is kinda dry and artificial to me. So After some research, I have my eyes on SONY EX1000 and Senheiser IE8. What I am looking for is smooth mids and highs with a large soundstage and natural bass.

Can either of the two satisfy my need? Any other suggestions are also welcomed! Thanks

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 68
The JVC FX700(highly recommended)are very detailed in mids, highs and offers deep reverbing natural bass with farily large soundstage. The Sennheiser IE8 (recommended over Sony EX1000 if need larger soundstage, more bass and farily smooth mids and high) has larger soundstage (out of head) and overall sound very engaging but bass is impactfull and punchy

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 68
Mar 21, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 68
Thanks, FX700 sounds like a good candidate, will look into it. I am not exactly looking for up-to-your-head bass, just a little north of the balance line. Sounds like IE8 is not for me then.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 68
I recommend the EX1000. I've owned the IE80 which are virtually the same as the IE8.
The Sony's are the best phones I have heard. They offer a very wide soundstage, balanced in all frequencies, excellent detail and clarity and superb timbre. I liked the IE80, they are very comfortable but the mid bass hump gets annoying.

Check out joker's review of both the EX1000 and IE8.

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 68

Quote:
I recommend the EX1000. I've owned the IE80 which are virtually the same as the IE8.
The Sony's are the best phones I have heard. They offer a very wide soundstage, balanced in all frequencies, excellent detail and clarity and superb timbre. I liked the IE80, they are very comfortable but the mid bass hump gets annoying.

Check out joker's review of both the EX1000 and IE8.

I own both, much prefer the EX1000.  The more I listen to them the more I think they may be truly under appreciated. Love the way they seem to reproduce the full sound spectrum flawlessly.

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 68
I listened to my ie8 for more than 2 years, and then I bought ex1000. The later one absolutely destroyed all my impressions about the ie8. In close comparison, ex1000 is so much more airy and open, and no mid bass boom. The bass of ex1000 is definitely one of the best I have ever heard, even compare to my full-sized edition 8.

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 68
Difficult one to call really as to me they are different beasts.  I have had the Senn ie8 since they came out and have not really heard anything that beats it.
I tried the Ex1000 for a few weeks and although I really liked the sound from them, I did find the highs a bit harsh and fatiguing at times.  Also had problems with getting a good long term comfy fit.  This can be a problem with the ie8 but I had some custom tips from acs a few years back and they made a massive difference.

Dont get me wrong the ex1000 are a great iem, mids and bass sound lush but for me I prefer the more rounded sound from the ie8.  Maybe not as lush in the mids but to me there is no harshness in the highs.

Waiting for a pair of FX700 to be delivered in the couple of days to see how they compare to the Senns.

Another one that may be worth a punt at is the Atomic Floyd Superdarts, I picked them a couple of weeks ago half price bit of an impulse buy but so far I'm finding them a very capable iem.  They use a DD for bass and a BA for mids and highs.  Similar sound to the TF10 in some respects but with a bit more warmth to the sound, there is a more detailed review on here somewhere.

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #9 of 68

Quote:
Difficult one to call really as to me they are different beasts.  I have had the Senn ie8 since they came out and have not really heard anything that beats it.
I tried the Ex1000 for a few weeks and although I really liked the sound from them, I did find the highs a bit harsh and fatiguing at times.  Also had problems with getting a good long term comfy fit.  This can be a problem with the ie8 but I had some custom tips from acs a few years back and they made a massive difference.

Dont get me wrong the ex1000 are a great iem, mids and bass sound lush but for me I prefer the more rounded sound from the ie8.  Maybe not as lush in the mids but to me there is no harshness in the highs.

Waiting for a pair of FX700 to be delivered in the couple of days to see how they compare to the Senns.

Another one that may be worth a punt at is the Atomic Floyd Superdarts, I picked them a couple of weeks ago half price bit of an impulse buy but so far I'm finding them a very capable iem.  They use a DD for bass and a BA for mids and highs.  Similar sound to the TF10 in some respects but with a bit more warmth to the sound, there is a more detailed review on here somewhere.

Atomic Flyod Superdarts sounds interesting. I had always wanted to try a hybrid driver setup. Missed out on the UE 5EB and the K3003 is way too much.

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #10 of 68
First off, if you are going to lean towards the Senn's, I would go for the IE80, not the IE8..............the 80 still has the big bass, but is a little more present in the mids, and to my ears, has a bit more 12K+ Hz presence and instrument separation.

Also, with price not being that big of a factor if you're looking into Ie8's, I would also consider the Westone UM3x or Westone 3 or 4. I don't think people give the UM3x credit for having great bass, along with amazing separation, clarity, and soundstage. In fact, if you're going to amp whichever ones you buy, I don't think you can find a better universal than the UM3x. The 3 and 4 lean a little more toward the bottom heavy sound, but they aren't muddied and still produce great mids and high end sparkle. They are more tuned toward a "fun" sound, but don't let that give you the impression that the UM3 can't be fun, too.

The Sony MDR-ex1000's are good, but I've just never been completely satisfied with any sony earphones, including those.

ETA: I'm not sure if you prefer dynamic drivers to BA's, but I generally feel like if you don't have a big collection of IEM's and you are going to spend $250+ on a set, your best bet besides customs, is to go with the best multi BA IEM you can afford.

I, too, would love to try a hybrid monitor. Right now I'm saving up for my JH18's, but after that, I'm being undeniably drawn to the Unique Melody Merlins.

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #11 of 68

Quote:
Thanks, FX700 sounds like a good candidate, will look into it. I am not exactly looking for up-to-your-head bass, just a little north of the balance line. Sounds like IE8 is not for me then.

The FX700 is boosted at both ends (bottom and top), giving the impression of a U shaped signature, with mids taking a back seat to the bass and treble. It's an exciting sound, but far from balanced. I've not heard the IE8, but again, it's pretty well know for having a boosted bottom end. The EX-1000 is the brightest of the three, with the least bass. All 3 are good but excel at different genres, so have a think about what sort of music you will listening to most.

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #12 of 68
FWIW, I had the IE-8 and couldn't get on with them. WAYYYY too much mid-bass, almost obliterated mids. This was with the bass coupler control at lowest bass position and with the phone positioned in ear to reduce midbass as much as I was able without it falling out (the IEM, that is) 
wink.gif
. Don't know if the IE-80 dialed this back significantly... 

I still have my Sony EX-1000, I think it is one of the best universal moderately priced IEM's along with the Ortofon EQ-7 9which I also have) and, from comments here on headfi (haven't heard them myself), the FX-700. The EX-1000 is more incisive and the EQ-7 more laid back as a quick comparison. I also have the Audio-Technica CK-10 which many like but I have fit problems that seem to preclude me getting the best out of them, YMMV.

Also consider the Sony EX-600 if you want something cheaper, not as good as the above other recomendations, but good for the bux.

Kevin

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #14 of 68

Quote:
The FX700 is boosted at both ends (bottom and top), giving the impression of a U shaped signature, with mids taking a back seat to the bass and treble. It's an exciting sound, but far from balanced. I've not heard the IE8, but again, it's pretty well know for having a boosted bottom end. The EX-1000 is the brightest of the three, with the least bass. All 3 are good but excel at different genres, so have a think about what sort of music you will listening to most.

Then FX700 sounds somewhat like TF10? I hated TF10's U shaped signature because vocal just sounds distant and dull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back