Eversolo DMP-A6 Network Streamer/DAC
Jul 30, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #92 of 796
Have any of you tried running the DMP-A6 into active speakers? I'm curious to understand how well it would work in that use case.

Jul 30, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #93 of 796

There's no harm in linking to the video you know 😉

I agree with his review mostly. I prefer the A6, but that's because it's features and how I would use it. He complains about not being able to use Roon on the internal SSD. Who needs Roon? You need a computer and you need to pay. I don't want to turn on my noisy PC (oh wait, it already died screaming). If you want to listen to music I really like the silence and just tap the streamer and it works. Im not quite sure what he meant with Roon but he is sponsored by Roon so erm yeah. I never got that.

The Fiio is nice too but more intended for a desktop next to your pc with a HP.

You can buy a noiseless Roon server and why can't you pay for Roon? Look at the money you've wasted on everything in your sig - stop being tight.

Jul 30, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #94 of 796
You can buy a noiseless Roon server and why can't you pay for Roon? Look at the money you've wasted on everything in your sig - stop being tight.
LOL. Good point. But that's a 40 year hobby. And not everything is expensive.

I still have an unfinished silent pc that I was building. I have all the parts but it didn't quite fit and I lost interest. I have been sitting in front of a computer for 25 years and got used to not pay for anything software. Only a few things that I liked. And I really like Foobar, which is free. On the other partition I used Linux that I used mostly if I didn't have to use windows for some things. Then my pc stopped working. I only had €100 per month to live on then and I didn't repair it. So I'm totally weened off my computer addiction. So there's a reason I'm 'tight'. And I know there are lots of people who need to be. Inflation is killing in Europe, thanks to our American friends with their 'molecules of freedom' (and the 'screw the EU). My energy bill has gone up sevenfold.

I'm doing better now, and I feel privileged. And I know to appreciate something. But what does Roon do for my 10k record collection? Call me old fashioned, I just don't see what the fuss is about for a monthly conscription. I use Qobuz, which is cheap-er but in all honesty, I don't use it all that much. I pay for TV but I hate being brainwashed and I only want to see a movie now and then. Old-fashioned and old habits die slow.

I like to own my things. Not 'own nothing and be happy' and be dependent on some service as long as I'm compliant. I just want to connect my usb HD with music files and copy stuff over from my phone. See what I like on Qobuz and buy the lp if I do.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #95 of 796
I use an external DAC with the A6 for music listening, but I still wanted to switch to my laptop every now and then for YouTube or a film/movie. I run USB out from the A6 to the external DAC which is connected to my amp with balanced interconnects. Unplugging the USB cable from the A6 and plugging it into my laptop was just not a long-term solution. Instead, I now connect the laptop to the A6 with USB-C and then the A6 is connected to my amplifier with RCA interconnects using the EverSolo's internal DAC in this case. So, for music listening it is Qobuz/Tidal - USB-A out - external DAC - amplifier via balanced XLR interconnects, for movies it is laptop USB-C - A6 - RCA interconnects - amplifier. I can recommend this route to somebody who still wants to use a 'digital-in source' but prefers an external DAC for dedicated music listening. To change sources, it is only two taps in the app and one click on my amplifier.

Jul 30, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #96 of 796
I'm not a huge fan of Roon because it's expensive and it doesn't sound as good as local files. Also, if I want to stream, Tidal and Apple Music for the most part sound the best, so Roon occupies a weird segment. For me, the SSD install option is the real selling point of the A6. 4TB is more than enough space for a massive hi-res library, let alone one made up mostly of CD-quality files. I can just copy any new music I buy to the A6 with a thumb drive, and I can run Tidal Connect natively as a streaming alternative. I want to know more about how Apple Music runs on the A6 though, just in case I ever switch services. Having feature parity for both services would basically futureproof the A6 for me.

Jul 30, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #97 of 796
My hesitation on the A6 surrounds the inability to upgrade to a better power supply than its switch mode. A significant thing that separates the likes of Aurender etc are much better power supplies. The FiiO R7 and iFi ZenStream both allow for numerous PSU upgrade options.

Jul 30, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #98 of 796
My hesitation on the A6 surrounds the inability to upgrade to a better power supply than its switch mode. A significant thing that separates the likes of Aurender etc are much better power supplies. The FiiO R7 and iFi ZenStream both allow for numerous PSU upgrade options.
There's room for a future model. You supply the LPSU and they upgrade the DAC to R2R or even better, to NOS. Build in NAA support and jobs a good one.

Jul 30, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #99 of 796
There's room for a future model. You supply the LPSU and they upgrade the DAC to R2R or even better, to NOS. Build in NAA support and jobs a good one.
I don’t think there is any android based Roon ready device and NAA end points

Jul 30, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #100 of 796
I don’t think there is any android based Roon ready device and NAA end points
That didn't even occur to me TBH. Oh well, it seemed like a good idea 😊

Jul 30, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #101 of 796
That didn't even occur to me TBH. Oh well, it seemed like a good idea 😊
Roon Ready + NAA+ Linear power supply with all the feature that it has currently will take it above $1500 in price point minimum.

Your best bet is Linux based system.

Jul 31, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #102 of 796
Not sure if this aspect is mentioned already, any type of OLED screen requires a swift CPU and overheads, better suited to a mobile phone environment where noise can exist with other noise and it's not a difference. When it comes to DAC circuits, the display would require some effort for noise not to appear in the output. The A6 would be of use for casual listening combined with the interface would work well.

Aug 1, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #103 of 796
Not sure if this aspect is mentioned already, any type of OLED screen requires a swift CPU and overheads, better suited to a mobile phone environment where noise can exist with other noise and it's not a difference. When it comes to DAC circuits, the display would require some effort for noise not to appear in the output. The A6 would be of use for casual listening combined with the interface would work well.
The CPU does not seem to be bothered to drive the display, not even with animations.
The display can be turned off with a single press of a button.

Aug 1, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #104 of 796
These streamers are all in fact android computers just like phones are. The processors are powerful enough these days to drive the UI fluidly and even play 4k video. I have a small dap from hidizs that has a small cpu and can't unpack an iso with DST compressed dsd files. If you can play dst-iso without problems your streamer can play any music file with ease.

In every test on YouTube I see of streamers its always an item 'is the Interface fluid'. On the device and the app on your screen. I haven't seen any recent devices, not even that little hockey Puck the Wiim, failing there.

Also, isolating noise from the display should be a first priority. Do I need to mention the 'importance' of specs for marketing? That's the first thing the marketing department asks the engineering department. No engineer worth his salt wouldn't tackle this.

I do remember in the 80-ies when led displays started to appear that they could make noise. Not the ones with actual leds but the matrix screens. That was when I was even younger than I am now. 😁

Aug 1, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #105 of 796
The CPU does not seem to be bothered to drive the display, not even with animations.
The display can be turned off with a single press of a button.
I listened to the Darko/Stoddard podcast where Jason commented on integrating displays (inference CPU to drive them) into audio equipment. His opinion was worth keeping in memory, and mentioned here for interest. Stoddard avoids the use of displays, probably cause it's more work to remove the noise, so rather get rid of them altogether.
That's what apps on tablets and phones are good for, control points only, and don't appear in the signal chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back