Eversolo DMP-A6 Network Streamer/DAC
Aug 3, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #106 of 815
I listened to the Darko/Stoddard podcast where Jason commented on integrating displays (inference CPU to drive them) into audio equipment. His opinion was worth keeping in memory, and mentioned here for interest. Stoddard avoids the use of displays, probably cause it's more work to remove the noise, so rather get rid of them altogether.
That's what apps on tablets and phones are good for, control points only, and don't appear in the signal chain.
Agree. I rather play vinyl. No digital interference at all. 😂

I understand. But if you only use the streamer to push files to the dac, what's the problem? Turn off the display if it worries you. In the early days of automobiles people were afraid ghd high speeds of 25mph would becdetrementalnto peoples health. They had persons make way with red flag as a precaution.

I just had a talk with a friend about r2r dacs and how bad they measured. But they sound great. So what's the point?

Aug 4, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #107 of 815
Have any of you tried running the DMP-A6 into active speakers? I'm curious to understand how well it would work in that use case.
Yes. I'm using mine with a pair of Buchardt A500s via USB out into the wireless hub. Has greatly exceeded my expectations - sounds fantastic especially playing music locally via the m2 drive in the Eversolo and as a Roon endpoint.

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #108 of 815
I'm not a huge fan of Roon because it's expensive and it doesn't sound as good as local files. Also, if I want to stream, Tidal and Apple Music for the most part sound the best, so Roon occupies a weird segment. For me, the SSD install option is the real selling point of the A6.
In my setup using the Eversolo's digital output into active speakers, playing music locally via SSD has been awesome. However, switching back and forth between ssd and Roon has generally sounded the same to my ears and both noticeably better than Tidal connect for some reason.

Regardless, really enjoy the app and being able to play files locally without turning on the PC / Roon core.

Aug 4, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #109 of 815
Yes. I'm using mine with a pair of Buchardt A500s via USB out into the wireless hub. Has greatly exceeded my expectations - sounds fantastic especially playing music locally via the m2 drive in the Eversolo and as a Roon endpoint.
Perfect. Thanks. I am intending to try the EverSolo with ATC SCM40A.

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #110 of 815
There's just in a review of the master edition by Hans Beekhuyzen

Aug 5, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #111 of 815
I listened to the Darko/Stoddard podcast where Jason commented on integrating displays (inference CPU to drive them) into audio equipment. His opinion was worth keeping in memory, and mentioned here for interest. Stoddard avoids the use of displays, probably cause it's more work to remove the noise, so rather get rid of them altogether.
That's what apps on tablets and phones are good for, control points only, and don't appear in the signal chain.
Also, it takes the skills in your development team to do implement graphical display in your product.
I think it would be pretty safe to assume that Stoddard, Moffat and team simply do not have the ability to develop a nice display solution for their product by themselves. That's fine.

Aug 5, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #112 of 815
Don't know if this been discussed, to lazy to read thread.

I found that using the fixed sample rate at 192khz sounded better for a 44,khz 24 bit album. It sounded more clean and less cluttered/busy. So i will probably set and forget at 192khz for everything.

That was for streaming to Hugo2 dac with coax out. Probebly will be same for internal Dac right.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #113 of 815
Don't know if this been discussed, to lazy to read thread.

I found that using the fixed sample rate at 192khz sounded better for a 44,khz 24 bit album. It sounded more clean and less cluttered/busy. So i will probably set and forget at 192khz for everything.

That was for streaming to Hugo2 dac with coax out....
Did you try 176kHz for 44,1KHz music?
Might be even better than 192 due to the even x4 upsampling.

Aug 5, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #114 of 815
Did you try 176kHz for 44,1KHz music?
Might be even better than 192 due to the even x4 upsampling.
No. I didn't know about this is this usually the case?. Thanks might try. I have never been one that experimented with HQplayer upsampling and such. But nice that upsampling had good effect on DMP-A6.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #115 of 815
No. I didn't know about this is this usually the case?. Thanks might try. I have never been one that experimented with HQplayer upsampling and such. But nice that upsampling had good effect on DMP-A6.
My streamer (Auralic) also allows for upsampling music, before sending it to the DAC.
I do NOT use this option though, because I run my DAC in oversampling mode (OS) -- and my DAC upsamples everything to 1.500 kHz.

I don't want 2 oversampling algorithms in my audio... :)

Did you try feeding your DAC via USB (high quality cable) from the streamer? Within my chain that sound decidedly better that SPDIF/Coax.

Aug 5, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #116 of 815
Did you try feeding your DAC via USB (high quality cable) from the streamer? Within my chain that sound decidedly better that SPDIF/Coax.
No i haven't invested in a great usb cable. Also I thought someone said coax sounded better for DMP-A6 if i was not mistaken.

Aug 5, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #117 of 815
I think it would be pretty safe to assume that Stoddard, Moffat and team simply do not have the ability to develop a nice display solution for their product by themselves. That's fine.
I disagree. It is a question of priority. If they dislike displays for several reasons they will not spend the money to develop one.
I dislike displays on devices as well and prefer to make settings remotely on laptops or ipads.

Matt

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #118 of 815
No i haven't invested in a great usb cable. Also I thought someone said coax sounded better for DMP-A6 if i was not mistaken.
A lot depends on what input your DAC prefers. There is usually a preference there. My DAC according to the manufacturers prefers USB input, so I use a relatively good Supra Excalibur USB cable with excellent results from the A6 to my DAC.

Aug 5, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #119 of 815
when do you expect a software update on eversolo so we can listen to tidal high res flac

Aug 5, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #120 of 815
I was listening to this:
Royal Fireworks, HWV 351: IV. La Paix (Largo alla siciliana) by Alison Balsom on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/track/75985663
on my Hiby RS8 with AKG K812.
I liked it so much (strangely because I have some reservations against trumpet sound) that I decided to switch to my desktop setup (EverSolo DMP-A6 - Wavelight - MHA200 - Empyrean ) expecting an even higher quality - but it was not there. Sounded somehow odd. The bite of the trumpets has gone. I was suspecting the Empy, so I swapped it to AKG812 - same result.
I started to check through the settings on EverSolo. I switched the 'Volume passthrough' on (volume was at 10/15 before) - there we are. The above mentioned track started to shine, trumpets became sharp again, the expected quality increase compared to the mobile setup was definitely there.

I have not experienced the disadvantages of digital volume control so audible before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back