Eversolo DMP-A6 Network Streamer/DAC
Aug 5, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #121 of 815
I was listening to this:
Royal Fireworks, HWV 351: IV. La Paix (Largo alla siciliana) by Alison Balsom on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/track/75985663
on my Hiby RS8 with AKG K812.
I liked it so much (strangely because I have some reservations against trumpet sound) that I decided to switch to my desktop setup (EverSolo DMP-A6 - Wavelight - MHA200 - Empyrean ) expecting an even higher quality - but it was not there. Sounded somehow odd. The bite of the trumpets has gone. I was suspecting the Empy, so I swapped it to AKG812 - same result.
I started to check through the settings on EverSolo. I switched the 'Volume passthrough' on (volume was at 10/15 before) - there we are. The above mentioned track started to shine, trumpets became sharp again, the expected quality increase compared to the mobile setup was definitely there.

I have not experienced the disadvantages of digital volume control so audible before.
I think I can relate. It always makes me think of Christmas. And since realising what it really is and where it comes from I sincerely dispise it. And that really doesn't handle Händel fairly. It doesn't do the composer of the 'Messiah' justice, one of the most beautiful and devout musical works ever.

Also the trumpet is rather easy to learn to play but hard to master.

Sometimes there is that special piece of music that let's you hear instantly if your system is 'right' or 'wrong'. Goosebumps or meh. Mostly it takes acoustic instruments in a natural setting to bring this out. A good reference track is one that can make you cry.

You would think, theoretically, that digital volume wouldn't hurt the music. Yes you are reducing the bitdepth but so is your listening level so you can't hear it. Right? There is a wrong assumption in there. Digital isn't perfect. You really need those 16 bits minimum for a good sense of space, 3D soundstage.

Aug 5, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #122 of 815
No i haven't invested in a great usb cable. Also I thought someone said coax sounded better for DMP-A6 if i was not mistaken.
... I believe that it is really hard to recommend a "this works best in every case / HiFi rack" solution.

In the end with digital audio the quality of all clocks in the chain, digital interconmects, cleanliness (or lack of) regarding AC power might all induce jitter.

Hard to tell which type of digital connection is "best".

Aug 5, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #123 of 815
A lot depends on what input your DAC prefers. There is usually a preference there. My DAC according to the manufacturers prefers USB input, so I use a relatively good Supra Excalibur USB cable with excellent results from the A6 to my DAC.
Yeah thought so.
From what i can remmember people saying is that Hugo2 prefer optical and coax.

One day when i buy a dac that most people say Usb is best i might invest in one.

Aug 6, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #124 of 815
Yeah thought so.
From what i can remmember people saying is that Hugo2 prefer optical and coax.
I just went to my favourite and trusted HiFi dealer, borrowed HQ cables of all kinds (Coax, AES/EBU, USB) and found that USB sounds best in my chain.
Bought it, gave back the others. Easy!

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #125 of 815
I just went to my favourite and trusted HiFi dealer, borrowed HQ cables of all kinds (Coax, AES/EBU, USB) and found that USB sounds best in my chain.
Bought it, gave back the others. Easy!
What is your chain?

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #127 of 815
Wow! After upgrading the A6 software from v1.1.70 to v1.1.75 Roon shows the correct device name and type, and opens the correct product manual on request! 👍

Aug 6, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #128 of 815
I like the little things where EverSolo made the customer experience even better with the attention to detail. For example, when I select a different input source, the A6 remembers which output I used with the selected input last time, saving me a tap and making the change quicker. :)

Aug 8, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #130 of 815
Speaking from my own personal experience, undoubtedly sound quality is usually an improvement over direct USB. On my R26 only IIS being fed by a U18 DDC can match/slightly exceed streaming (others have said LAN is best by far on the R26). Streaming convenience is obviously major as well, I've been in the Bluesound eco system for a while and have thoroughly enjoyed how easy and convenient it and am looking forward to comparing it to Eversolo's environment when my order comes in. But for me sound quality over LAN is generally a decent improvement over USB all things being equal.

Yes, agreed on quality over LAN.

I use an iFi ZEN Streamer, and any DAC I own, borrow, audition or formally review can be far, far away from the noisy EMI/RF environment of my test station.

I know it has a rather mediocre software streaming platform if its own, however, this was never my intended use for it. I can successfully stream every type of file I have up to DXD 384 and DSD256 to any DAC, regardless of its network status. I can use any of the four software options I have available. Roon, Roon with HQPlayer, Jriver and Audirvana both with some slight network configuring. Of course access to whatever streaming third party stream platforms are available to Roon, J-river or Audirvana are available via the ZEN as well.

And it is a major upgrade in sound from standard PC USB output. Excellent isolation from the RFI and EM from PC and PC support devices. I can upgrade DACs anytime I want, and know I keep the exact same stream platform with me.

So very many plusses to this setup, plus for all that IMO the price makes it a steal.

I have ordered the DMP-A6 to review at my blog EUPHONICREVIEW.COM

I will compare its network performance to the ZEN STREAM as part of the review.

OH, also, the wi-fi range of the ZEN is excellent. No dropouts of DSD256 between 30 and 40 feet. I have not tried any farther. (Of course there is Ethernet in that case)

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #132 of 815
New version of Eversolo Controller App now out for both Android and iOS
Cheers for that.

Here is what's new:
Screenshot_20230808-202157.png

Aug 8, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #133 of 815

Users who are viewing this thread

Back