Eversolo DMP-A6 Network Streamer/DAC
Jul 24, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #61 of 815
Hi @betula thanks for your impressions of the A6, helps people like me who is deciding. I do have a few questions though:

1. What are the benefits of having digital out to external DAC through its existing ports?

2. Is one of the benefits for people who want to use the USB-C port connection for computers?

3. I read that "serious" audio gear should have I2S port, is the USB-C port on the A6/ME really inferior when connecting to external DAC?
I am not sure, if I understand all questions correctly, but here we go.

1, Do you mean what are the benefits of using an external DAC? To me it is better sound as I described above.
2, For me using the USB-C port would serve only convenience purposes. I would only use it for watching movies/YT and hear the sound through my external DAC.
3, I use the regular 3.0 USB-A output on the A6 for music streaming to my external DAC. IMO don't get too lost in output ports. The debate is similar to balanced or single ended headphone outputs: the implementation matters most of all, no port is really superior/inferior in general.

Jul 24, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #62 of 815
Hi @betula thanks for your impressions of the A6, helps people like me who is deciding. I do have a few questions though:

1. What are the benefits of having digital out to external DAC through its existing ports?

2. Is one of the benefits for people who want to use the USB-C port connection for computers?

3. I read that "serious" audio gear should have I2S port, is the USB-C port on the A6/ME really inferior when connecting to external DAC?
1. If you already have a good external DAC, then you can use the digital out feeds on the A6 to drive it. Can be USB, coax or optical. So the A6 is a digital streaming transport only in this mode.
2. The USB-C port is a digital IN port for USB Audio, say your computer acting as streamer and using the A6 as DAC in this case. If your external streamer outputs SPDIF instead, then you use the coax or Optical digital IN ports.
3. As the USB-C port on the A6 is a digital IN port only, you cannot connect it to an external DAC input, so comparison with i2s input on a DAC doesn't arise. I use my A6 as a streamer only, feeding an external DAC (Pontus 2 12th ed.) via a DDC intermediate which does have an i2s output to feed the DAC, and I do use the i2s connection. While yes the i2s connection is considered excellent, it is difficult to really distinguish it from other more common formats such as SPDIF coax, Optical or AES is what I would say. I would advise just use whatever digital outputs and inputs you have on your devices, don't worry about theoretical advantages of i2s too much. You can always upgrade to a DDC later and try out the different digital connections then.

Jul 24, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #63 of 815
If I'm not mistaken, the Master addition has the same DAC as the Eversolo DAC-Z8, the sound quality should be better (the top end ESS processor with 8 times oversampling) than the standard DMP-6 but not greatly so.

The better clocks and opamps should give it better soundquality.
I pulled the trigger on the A6 Master Edition. I'll see how this stacks up against the my other DACs.

I have to agree about the transport method. With I2S you usually need to use a converter box, especially if you are going to plug it into your computer. Some DACs support it like my Gustard R26. I use Ethernet though. I think it's more convenient and sounds excellent.

Jul 24, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #64 of 815
It is a great fun to read impressions from fellow users here on Head-fi. Thanks to @PopZeus for opening the thread.

For me the DMP-A6 came at the right time with the (almost) right feature set at the right price to the market supported by two well formed and sweetened review. I tried not to completely believe them, but I could not resist to pull the trigger.

Delivery coincided with the beginning of holiday time, so I had only very brief time to collect experiences, but so far so good. Setup took less than 6 minutes, roon works, Qobuz works - and how! Even my favourite My Weekly Queue feature is reachable through the app.

Jul 24, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #65 of 815
What this streamer is, is basically a computer for sound reproduction. But without the noise. And a touchscreen. And remote control via an app. Which is awesome and something I have been looking for over 20 years when I first started listening to FLAC.

So lots of versatility is great. It's sort of a hub for audio sources. It wouldn't be a bad thing if it could do video as well. My Rose audio does. Sort of. 2160p gets choppy.

This streamer is like a preamplifier for digital. If you have a TV hooked up, a TV box or BD player, or a computer and maybe even an analog source, you want to connect that to the streamer and rout whatever's coming in to your dac of choice. If it be toslink, usb w/e or analog (via adc), switch that with your app (maybe do some dsp or Dirac live) and output that to your dac via i2s or USB.

It wouldn't be difficult to make a dual monitor setup so you can see your cover art with a progress bar on TV. What would be totally rad is visualisations on the TV during playback. Like on the computer. Or with Kodi. That would make your own psychedelic houseparty. Yeah, I know, I'm a dreamer.

Possibilities are endless. But the audio market is a lot smaller than the pc market. So less budget for programmers. Everything is a compromise, but with the Eversolo you are already getting g a LOT for a modest price.

Jul 25, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #66 of 815
I was originally going to wait for the Denafrips streamer that's rumored to be released this Fall, but this Eversolo looks absolutely gorgeous and the 6in LCD screen is honestly a deal breaker. Currently running an iPad Pro into a Gaia via USB, then i2s into the Terminator +. What would be the best way to incorporate the Eversolo into my setup? I really want to start using Roon and playing around with convolution filters.

Also, would upgrading to the Master Edition make a difference if I'm using an external DAC?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #67 of 815
I was originally going to wait for the Denafrips streamer that's rumored to be released this Fall, but this Eversolo looks absolutely gorgeous and the 6in LCD screen is honestly a deal breaker. Currently running an iPad Pro into a Gaia via USB, then i2s into the Terminator +. What would be the best way to incorporate the Eversolo into my setup? I really want to start using Roon and playing around with convolution filters.

Also, would upgrading to the Master Edition make a difference if I'm using an external DAC?
You don't need the master edition if you only use the A6 as a streamer. The streamer part is the same.

Jul 25, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #68 of 815

It sounds like you can just swap out the iPad for the A6 into the Gaia since you're using I2S into the Terminator. (Assuming you're not using USB as a source, which since you have an iPad as a source, is a safe bet....)

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #69 of 815
It sounds like you can just swap out the iPad for the A6 into the Gaia since you're using I2S into the Terminator. (Assuming you're not using USB as a source, which since you have an iPad as a source, is a safe bet....)
I noticed the only digital outputs are coaxial and optical. Currently have an AudioQuest diamond USB-C cable connected between the iPad and Gaia. Not sure if selling that and throwing in on the streamer and new coaxial cable would be worth the sound upgrade. It'd look aesthetically better though. I've been dreaming of a ''hifirose esque'' streamer with a big beautiful screen.

Jul 25, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #70 of 815
The hype surrounding this product is rather high, but a question remains unanswered: is the Eversolo more than a 'budget' streamer?

Asking for a friend with a decent setup who has already gone overbudget :wink:

Jul 25, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #71 of 815
I noticed the only digital outputs are coaxial and optical. Currently have an AudioQuest diamond USB-C cable connected between the iPad and Gaia. Not sure if selling that and throwing in on the streamer and new coaxial cable would be worth the sound upgrade. It'd look aesthetically better though. I've been dreaming of a ''hifirose esque'' streamer with a big beautiful screen.
There is also a USB-A digital out from the A6, so you could just connect this to your Gaia, although not with your existing USB-C cable without an adapter.

Jul 25, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #72 of 815
The hype surrounding this product is rather high, but a question remains unanswered: is the Eversolo more than a 'budget' streamer?

I have in addition to the A6 two older streamers, an iFi Zen Stream and a Cambridge Audio MXN10. The A6 as a pure streamer is better than both of these as regards of how clean and refined the sound behaves, at least to my ears. The internal A6 DAC is also surprisingly good but I assume your friend already has a favourite DAC to pair with the A6. The overall ease of use and the brilliant touchscreen make it definately better than those two streamers.

Jul 25, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #73 of 815
I have in addition to the A6 two older streamers, an iFi Zen Stream and a Cambridge Audio MXN10. The A6 as a pure streamer is better than both of these as regards of how clean and refined the sound behaves, at least to my ears. The internal A6 DAC is also surprisingly good but I assume your friend already has a favourite DAC to pair with the A6. The overall ease of use and the brilliant touchscreen make it definately better than those two streamers.
A sincere and many thanks for this helpful response!

You're 100% correct, the only thing my friend (of course, i.e., me) is interested in is SQ. I would be thrilled if other users also hear a positive jump in SQ.

The DACs and streamers I already have, have excellent interfaces and ease-of-use, so all I'm interested in is how the A6 sounds as a streamer and nothing else.

Jul 25, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #74 of 815
I see you've been reading on ASR again haven't you. Ya little rascal. 😂

The output of choice is usb. Not mentioned on ASR in his 'review'. I had to look it up since I don't own one and it was one of the first hits. I hate that opinionated site. But let's not get in to that.

I own the RS250 and I got it at the just right moment. I only use it as a streamer, usb to dac. The A6 would have been an option if it would have been available then. For serving up FLAC files, or DSF, to a dac its just fine. With the Rose you get video too, but at a much higher price. I love it but it's a bit of a headscratcher.

Jul 25, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #75 of 815

Ja

Short answer. With the SSD and usb HD, RJ45 and usb out it will serve just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back