Ever sold an expensive phone because you prefered a cheaper one?
Mar 7, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #16 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doorknob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm seriously considering to sell my A900 after taking a listen to much cheaper cans (RX700/900). One important thing audio taught me is that price brackets are really not a definitive measure of SQ. Not at all.

I've been hearing a lot about these phones, and may pick one up after selling my K701. I think a tremendous advantage of cheaper phones is that you don't think about how much you spent on them or how good they're supposed to sound, which results in (for me, at least), focusing on the most important thing--the music.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #17 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL. Yes, they're very good. I'm only resisting cos I think they're uuuugly.

I totally agree. Although some may argue that they are different, unique or even a "breath of fresh air" from the traditional grey/black, I still think the colour scheme is rather unattractive.

But wait, what about your HD25s? How do you rank them in terms of looks? Nearly as bad as the AD700s?

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #18 of 69
I have. The difference margin isn't enough to justify the price tag for me at least. And about the HD25s, I wear those in public without embarrassment, but I would be embarrassed wearing the AD700. Purple and gold doesn't jive with me...nor does the size. I wear my M-Audios out every now and then and get a few weird looks but I don't mind too much.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #19 of 69
I suppose selling my ED9s because I preferred my Denon MD5000s counts here.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #20 of 69
I'm keeping a real close eye to anyone that may not like the HD800....
ph34r.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #22 of 69
Well, I didnt sell my cheaper headphones when I bought my more expencive ones. I like each one for a different kind of music. Sometimes the cheaper ones sound better
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #24 of 69
Definiatly... Higher priced headphones doesn´t automatically mean better. sold markl modded D5000 headphones not because it was expensive but because it wasn´t as good as some of my cheaper headphones. It was a great experience because my 450$ PRO 900 was a steal in retroaspect lol

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #27 of 69
spookz:

you're probably the first person I've ever heard prefer the 515/555/595 family to the 580/600/650 family (but hey, more power to you, you found something you like)

personally:
I just finished sale'ing my Denon's after a ~year jaunt with them, they're the most expensive hp I've purchased (I paid full MSRP for them, by full MSRP I do have more valuable things, but in terms of "how much did you actually pay", they take the cake), and I positively can't stand them compared to my K701's (I refuse to try AD700's haha)

I realize, if we were talking about "which is the higher end 'phone", the AKG's likely win that (as their a top model, and the SRP is supposed to be something like twice whatever I paid for them (did anyone actually get stuck spending $500+ for them? as in: have they ever commanded that price in reality?))

now, in terms of "are there really ridiculously expensive hp's that I don't like compared to less expensive hp's", the answer is yes:

I think the GS1000 is overpriced and underperforming contrasted to my Sennheisers, Koss ESP's, or AKG's, although its still a good piece of kit (just not $1000+ good)

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #28 of 69
I bought obobskivich's D2000 because I'm desperately trying to find a phone I like more than my $30 RX700. I'm starting to think I'm going crazy. Like my brain is in RX700 mode and even if a headphone really is better, I'm not hearing it because I'm addicted to the RX700. I figure if any closed headphone can break me away it would be the D2000. But who knows? At this rate, I might just stick with the RX700.

A lot of people on this thread sold more expensive stuff once they got the AD700. I sold my AD700 once I got the RX700! I just couldn't listen to the AD700 anymore. Sometimes I think I miss it, but then I listen to the RX700 and think the thin graininess of the AD700 just isn't for me.

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #29 of 69
Sold my STAX SRS-2050A and kept my Kenwood KH-K1000. Much prefer my Kenwoods.

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #30 of 69
yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back