Etymotic ER4P/S Appreciation Thread
May 9, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #61 of 74
OK Piccolo, I listened to your flac file. I also just read your Etyheiser ER-650 link. I did hear the resemblance even though I could hear a greater treble extension with bigger sound stage on the 650.

I also understand that your personal setting with a dip of 5dB at 6kHz may not work for me as it does for you, but still, it sounded good and was closer to that relaxed 650 sound. The bass boost is my biggest need for the ER4. I have no problem with upper mids that seem to be what some hear as being too bright. If the ER4 extended easily up to 18KHz they would be silky smooth.

May 9, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #63 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo937 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So ety's would be an improvement over my UE Super.fi Pro's?

Depends on what you want. But I honestly think the 5 Pros sound like a thick mud puddle.

Also, I think this thread is seriously being derailed. Perhaps PiccoloNamek should make his own topic.

May 9, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #64 of 74
My apologies.

May 9, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #65 of 74
Back on topic

I appreciate the [size=medium]E[/size][size=medium]R[/size]-[size=medium]4[/size][size=medium]P[/size]
etysmile.gif

May 9, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #66 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My apologies.

I think I derailed it when I mentioned the SF5P...so more my fault that yours.

Anyway, as pertaining to this thread, I'm going to be riding the train to NYC tomorrow, so this will be my first use of my newly purchased ER4P on the move, in a loud environment.
etysmile.gif
I had used them before in a library, and it got my head bobbing, but that's similar to listening in my quiet room.

May 9, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #67 of 74
Etymotic ER4S -- the best IEM ever produced... /thread :)

May 9, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #68 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back on topic

I appreciate the [size=medium]E[/size][size=medium]R[/size]-[size=medium]4[/size][size=medium]P[/size]
etysmile.gif

HMMMMMMM letme think about it for a sec..........

[size=xx-large]Yep ME LOVE ER-4S!!!!!!![/size]
etysmile.gif

May 9, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #70 of 74
I recently got back from a long plane ride over a lot of water....and I had not just one screaming baby in the chairs behind me, but two screaming babies! Thanks to my ER-4S I didn't even know they were there until I took my etys out for the meal
etysmile.gif

May 11, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #71 of 74
I tried the triflanges & the stock supplied foams as well as the foams that come with the Harmon Kardon 730's. The stock foams sounded harsh to me with an accentuated upper midrange. The triflanges were better balanced to me & equall in bass with the proper seal. The HK 730 foams sound identical to the triflanges but unfortunately are not nearly as durable. I believe the HK 730 foams are identical to the Ety8 foams. I ended up staying with the triflanges as I find them durable & best sounding at least to my ears.

By the way I have no problem with the bass on the ER4P/S especially the S as I run these with the P to S converter at home on a D.C. coupled (my mod) headphone headphones output on my onkyo P304 preamp. D.C. amps have no roll off in the bass all the way down to D.C. & it will amplify D.C. so one has to be carefull with thier sources. Fortunately my preamp has D.C. offset protection in the form of D.C. servo in the actual preamp section so I could get away with D.C. coupling the headphone amp section. The resulting the frequency response of my preamp is flat to less than 2Hz & since the headphone amp has no roll off at all the frequency response matches the preamp.

Befor anyone starts telling me that there is no benefit to D.C. coupling in the bass as no transducer can produce sound down that low I already know this but there are other significant benefits such as transparency at all frequencies including even the bass plus not having any capactor at the ouput eliminates any bass loss due to the capacitor interacting with the impedance of the phone causing a rolloff which depending on the size of the capacitor can be quite significant. All portables have these capacitors & are usually quite small & that is why portables sound thinner than a good home separate amp.

May 7, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #72 of 74
When I listen to my music collection with the ER-4S I hear these beautiful tones in guitars and drums that are completely new to me. Wow. Could it be that I have been listening to too much coloration all these years? Good God these things are detailed!

I love my ER-4S !:)

Someone please recommend a current portable amp.

Edit: Also, why isn't this thread in the iem section?

May 7, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #73 of 74

Quote:
When I listen to my music collection with the ER-4S I hear these beautiful tones in guitars and drums that are completely new to me. Wow. Could it be that I have been listening to too much coloration all these years? Good God these things are detailed!

I love my ER-4S !
smily_headphones1.gif

Someone please recommend a current portable amp.

Edit: Also, why isn't this thread in the iem section?

I think it's not in the iem section because it was created before head-fi even had an iem section. Not to sound rude, but you do realize you resurrected a 4 year old thread, right? :)

I'm currently enjoying my er4s with a PA2V2 and it's working pretty well for me. The warm sq of the amp is a good match for the etys. 

May 7, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #74 of 74
I think it's not in the iem section because it was created before head-fi even had an iem section. Not to sound rude, but you do realize you resurrected a 4 year old thread, right? :)

I'm currently enjoying my er4s with a PA2V2 and it's working pretty well for me. The warm sq of the amp is a good match for the etys. 

Yes, I do realize I resurrected a four year old thread.:D No worries, didn't take it as rude in the least bit. I didn't want to start a new thread just to show my appreciation. Thanks for your suggestion, I'll look into it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back