Etymotic ER4P/S Appreciation Thread
Apr 20, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #31 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It just is disappointing that the foamies have a relatively short "life span."
frown.gif

Lucky for me, they last a long time - much longer than Shure e2 ones did even with washing. I think the current pair are going on four or five months. But then again I only use my Etys for two hours a day.

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #32 of 74
I can't imagine life without my ER-4P's. All other IEM's just sound.... wrong to me.
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #33 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasJB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that works - thanks!!
etysmile.gif
icon10.gif

You're welcome.
cool.gif

I also get a fairly long life from my black foamies. I don't have a problem with overly waxy ears and I'm a freak when it comes to keeping my ears clean so that helps.

I wash mine in warm water & liquid dish soap, then blot & leave to dry.

Apr 20, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #34 of 74
How can I miss this thread????
blink.gif

[size=xx-large]ER-4S RULEEZZZZZ!!!!!!![/size]
* now jude may ban me for that
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

I have been trawling the amp and portable section too long in my search for refinement for my ER-4S.

Yes the soundstage is somewhat small by default. But not anymore. With iMod and SuperMicro-IV, it's wider than HD580 now - I SWEAR!

May 7, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #35 of 74
hmmm, i am thinking about getting this or the fs atrio m5, but, which would be better for music, and I am coming from marshmallows, i know, pathetic. But i plan on later buying the p---s cable, and a porta corda mkIII, but my favorite music is death and thrash metal, so, any owners out there that listen to similair music, is it worth it?

May 7, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #36 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm, i am thinking about getting this or the fs atrio m5, but, which would be better for music, and I am coming from marshmallows, i know, pathetic. But i plan on later buying the p---s cable, and a porta corda mkIII, but my favorite music is death and thrash metal, so, any owners out there that listen to similair music, is it worth it?

I am a self styled ETYMOTIC ER-4S zealot and I listen to GODFLESH, Pitch Shifter, SCORN, ISIS, Num Skull, UNSANE, jesu, King Diamond etc - those are primarily Industrial, Speed, Progressive, Shogazing metal that I listen to regularly. The experience of listening to Metal/Rock through ER-4S is not of that typical bassy indulgence. All the twangs, droning and bone-crushing riffs and growl will be presented in utter clarity - you will become a "Metal Audiophile" if sucha thing exist LOL!
etysmile.gif

May 7, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #37 of 74
With triflanges they are too sharp. Black foam tips rule, though, and make them sound much more warmer.

May 8, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #38 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With triflanges they are too sharp. Black foam tips rule, though, and make them sound much more warmer.

I tried several sized of black foamies and found them terrible. The large are too sharp and the smaller sized move around too much. I keep findingmyself comingback to the tri-flanges, with great results.

May 8, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #39 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and I created the Ety smile. Muhahaha!!!
etysmile.gif

(although I realized I reversed the left and right a bit too late...)

I am very thankful that "right" and "red" both begin with "r"!

May 8, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #40 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Exactly my thoughts. The black foamies are perfect for my ears...comfortable for hours and hours.

I hate the suction effect that the tri-flanges give. The only advantage is that they can be cleaned easier and last much longer.

May 8, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #41 of 74
In the last two weeks I've been through the whole mess--tri-flanges (reallllly uncomfortable, so much pressure), black foam (OK, not spectacular), Comply canal foams (too much pressure on the walls of my canal--the small ones might have been all right, though, if I'd ordered them, instead), and finally today I took scissors and clipped off the biggest of the three flanges--not the trunk of the tree, but just the skirt. Finally I'm happy. They feel more like me ER6s, which are easily the more comfortable phones I have. As with the ER6, putting them in is a matter of going just far enough to do the job, and not a bit farther. It's easy to jam them in until they meet in the center of my brain, but totally unnecessary.

I really like my ER6s, and switch to them often, but then if I switch to ER4s, I immediately realize what I was missing. I guess the problem is that the ER4s sound so natural, I don't realize how good they are, because in the normal course of things they really don't blow me away----they're just better than anything else, when I stop to make the comparison.

May 8, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #42 of 74
icon10.gif
i just got my er6 today as a replacement for my er4p. i returned er4p to wal mart! you should have seen the look on the customer service womans face when she relized they were "just headphones"
etysmile.gif
. she couldnt believe they were $250. then i told here thats nothing there are headphones that cost $1000s of dollars, then she gave me a really funny look, like she didn't quite believe me and if there was such a thing why anyone would buy them. i really tried to like the er4p thats why i got them from wal mart because they have a 90 day return policy, and i returned them 1 day ahead of time! this is the second pair i tried. and this time i finally got to where i really like them. i finally used the foamies and that helped tremendously. but ive tried several iems and never felt completely blown away by them like i have with large cans, im a bit of a soundstage nut, so i figured if er6 was close enough sound wise to the er4p they were probably better suited for me at $80. and so far they have not dissapointed. i really prefer the er6 for bike riding, less microphonics, less isolation, and a little brighter than er4p, plus there is less of the wind sound across the er6 becouse of lower profile. i know they dont recommend riding with these, but they sure do cut down on the traffic noise which can set you on edge after awhile.
icon10.gif

May 8, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #43 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a self styled ETYMOTIC ER-4S zealot and I listen to GODFLESH, Pitch Shifter, SCORN, ISIS, Num Skull, UNSANE, jesu, King Diamond etc - those are primarily Industrial, Speed, Progressive, Shogazing metal that I listen to regularly. The experience of listening to Metal/Rock through ER-4S is not of that typical bassy indulgence. All the twangs, droning and bone-crushing riffs and growl will be presented in utter clarity - you will become a "Metal Audiophile" if sucha thing exist LOL!
etysmile.gif

tyvm, that helped solidfy my decision.

May 8, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #44 of 74
You know, for a long time, my appreciation for my ER4Ss had been growing smaller and smaller. Ever since I received my HD650s the ER4s have sounded harsh and thin in comparison. I even started taking the 650s on walks with me, even though the enormous cord was cumbersome to carry around. The only solution was to make my ER4s sound like my HD650s. After quite a bit of work, I finally managed that, and I now appreciate my ER4s again - but not for what they are. I honestly don't think I can do that anymore. Switching the equalizer off, I am presented with a sound that is harsh, tinny, and quite frankly, very unrealistic. Being Head-Fi's ER4 guy for so long, I feel kind of embarrassed saying this, but that is how I feel now.

I still think the Etys are technically good, and I'd much rather listen to them unequalized than have to listen to any other universal IEM, but I also believe that they need a lot of work to really be their best.

Guys, I don't think I am the ER4 fan that I used to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back