Etymotic ER4P/S Appreciation Thread
Sep 7, 2005 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

fatko

500+ Head-Fier
i have tried mnay headphones and IEMs...
the most unforgettbale sound is from ER4
it just sounds right to me
Bright, Fast response, accurate Bass, clear Mids

what else do u think?

Sep 7, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 74
Some say they have a small soundstage. Is this true?

Is that soundstage narrower than the UM2 one?

Sep 7, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by noah11
Have you (or anyone for that matter) heard the er6s? I listen to them straight out of my ipod and I just love the detail. Are the er4p/s a worthwhile upgrade?

it is really worth ~
ER4P excels in every aspects

Sep 7, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by countach
Some say they have a small soundstage. Is this true?

Is that soundstage narrower than the UM2 one?

if you love ur UM2, you may probably not like the sound ER4

i have just sold my UM2.... coz ..i dun like this kind of sound.

I dun really think the soundstage of er4 is small, but not particularly big

Sep 7, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 74
Quote:

Are the er4p/s a worthwhile upgrade?

Yes, they are worth it.

Sep 7, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 74
I love my ER4's because of the isolation, just great, put them in on the way to class, or on the plane, can't hear squat. Not to mention unbelievable accuracy. I don't find the bass lacking when I am just sitting in my dorm room with no other noise, very tight and extended. Thats right out of the ipod too, I just got my amp so I can imagine it will only get better. I just auditioned some grado's and they have a very different sound. I think ER4's are great for analytical listening, Grado's great for music, rockin out. 2 very different beats, but love them both each in their own way.

Sep 8, 2005 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatko
i have tried mnay headphones and IEMs...
the most unforgettbale sound is from ER4
it just sounds right to me
Bright, fast response, accurate Bass, clear Mids

what else do u think?

Nothing else, except for the «bright»: my modded version of the ER-4P is tweakable to every frequency balance I want. I'm still a great Ety fan -- it serves me almost exclusively as portable headphone and as such is simply perfect in every respect: pure music without the least coloration (well, with a bit of generosity considering the optical/sensual distraction outdoor).

peacesign.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 11:13 AM Post #10 of 74
Fantastic isolation with the trip flanges - Train/Bus/Street scenes just fade into the distant background with these beauts.
Very comfortable when used to them/flanges have softened - but...I nearly gagged the first time I pushed them in, like they were going to meet in the middle...
eek.gif

Isolation even better with foamies, but fiddly fit and low comfort for me.
With impedance switch on SMV1 (great synergy with the SuperMacro) on/ER4S mode; 3D headstage and imaging, resolution, dynamic range, quality...feel I can just lean forward into the music and touch it, no problem.
Cable microphonics unless "dressed" properly
frown.gif

Dry presentation, which I actually like for extended listening: daily commute = 4 hours total.
In some ways much more impressive than my HD650s or SR80s.
Perfect portable
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #11 of 74
Quote:

Have you (or anyone for that matter) heard the er6s? I listen to them straight out of my ipod and I just love the detail. Are the er4p/s a worthwhile upgrade?

actually I listen to my er6 (not the er6i) a lot even though I have an ER4P/S. It is less bright than the ER4P/S, so for some types of music it works great.

Sep 8, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 74
Jazz:

What kind of modification do you have on your er4p?

Er4p/s (s more so) are great headphones imo, certainly among the the best I have heard.

Are transients cut off too soon?
Is there a musical dimension missing?

Depends on what you compare to, you could argue that the real musical dimensions are lifted to the spotlight (your mind) instead of coloured ones

I think they sound almost natural

With clarity, speed, accuracy, and isolation

Not perfect, but very good
But I am looking for something to broaden my horizons right now, something senn or audiotechnica

Aug 24, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #13 of 74
I had my first public transit *whoa* moment today, listening to Louis Armstrong with my new Ety ER4P/S. Like adhoc (original ety appreciation thread) I upgraded from Shure E2s and honestly wasn't really impressed at first. The sound signature was just completely different. No longer was there just a thick helping of mids. Initially it sounded a little laid back, tiny, and harsh. Listened some more, and then some more. Today was...wow! I'm listening to albums ripped to 224aac on the Nano > Xin Amp with +75ohm > Etys. Like so many others, I'm hearing things in familiar songs that I've never heard before. The excellent detail and separation of sound =
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried a little triflange modding here and there but so far foamies are the only satisfactory solution. I won't complain much about this though, the sound is too sweet for me to care.

Why didn't I buy some Etys sooner?!

etysmile.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #14 of 74
I have used the 5 pros, and the E4Cs, and the ER-4Ss, and I have to say that the ER-4S is grossly superior to all of them. It is by far the most natural sounding headphone I have ever used. They weren't kidding when they said "MicroPro earphones are designed to match the acoustic response of the open ear."

I have found them very good for all types of music listening, even rock and hip hop. They will present the music to you exactly as it is, without any coloration of their own. They are capable of resolving a large amount of detail. They are not overly analytical unless you make them that way. I have no problem being absorbed into the music while listening to them. When I listened to the song "Barcarolle" from the "ARIA: The Animation" soundtrack, I could have sworn Kawai Eri was standing right there, singing just for me. Wonderful.

To me they are not harsh. Not even a little, bitty bit. The treble sounds completely natural. Almost all other headphones I've tried sound dark in comparison. Perhaps this is why so many people dislike them; they're so used to slow, dark headphones, that anything with a normal amount of treble sounds harsh. The bass is neutral, deep, and very tight. Sometimes I can even feel it shaking my ear canal.
basshead.gif
My Grado SR-60s sound positively boomy now, after listening to my Etys for a while.

All in all, the best headphone I've ever heard.
etysmile.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #15 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucidity
Jazz:

What kind of modification do you have on your er4p?

Er4p/s (s more so) are great headphones imo, certainly among the the best I have heard.

Are transients cut off too soon?
Is there a musical dimension missing?

Depends on what you compare to, you could argue that the real musical dimensions are lifted to the spotlight (your mind) instead of coloured ones

I think they sound almost natural

With clarity, speed, accuracy, and isolation

Not perfect, but very good
But I am looking for something to broaden my horizons right now, something senn or audiotechnica

There is no musical dimension missing and they are natural, neutral, and hyper accurate. But some may say that the transients are cut off too soon or, because of their lightning speed, the decay is not natural. Nothing that pairing with the right amp won't fix. I find my ER4-P/S sounds unbelievably natural paired with my Dared tube amp. Tubes offer very natural decay. Also found classic synergy with my Xin Supermini III. I for one, love my Etys and will always be a proud owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back