ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
May 21, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #2,896 of 3,202
Thanks again for feedback!
I am so interested to try them, but seems even used ones its hard to find in Europe.
P.S anyone willing to sell im Europe let me know!

May 21, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #2,897 of 3,202
In addition anyone uses Chord TT2+Mscaler with Ether 2 ?
Yes, I have this rig
I use mTT2 with both the Ether 2 (non-perforated pads) and the HEDDphone, as well as with Omega SAM speakers. The HEDD and E2 aren’t night and day, more like dawn and dusk. Both are slightly warm to my ears, with the HEDD emphasizing more the detail and transient and the E2 more the body of the instruments, so the HEDD presents as more detailed and the Ether as more full, but for the tier of headphones they are in, I think they are equally as detailed. In weight/comfort, they are night and day. Ether is likely the most comfortable headphone you can get, along with the Aeon 2.
I also have Hedds. To me, while the weight/comfort factor is significant, the highs are the biggest difference to my ears. Hedds are significantly more energetic in the treble region. I enjoy my Ether 2 at night when I want a calmer listening experience, Hedds when I want to tear it up.

All my ears/my chain of course.

May 21, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #2,899 of 3,202
Yes, I have this rig

I also have Hedds. To me, while the weight/comfort factor is significant, the highs are the biggest difference to my ears. Hedds are significantly more energetic in the treble region. I enjoy my Ether 2 at night when I want a calmer listening experience, Hedds when I want to tear it up.

Energetic is a good way to put it. I don’t find them bright, but they do present with more treble energy. Maybe it’s a distortion thing, as the Ethers sound very low distortion overall. Since you have the TT2, what level difference do you use between HEDD and Ether? I feel like ~ +5 clicks on the TT2 when using HEDD vs Ether.

May 21, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #2,900 of 3,202
Yes, I have this rig

Throw some high quality parametric EQ at the E2 and they have a nice even treble, not hyperactive like so many do.

May 22, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #2,901 of 3,202
Throw some high quality parametric EQ at the E2 and they have a nice even treble, not hyperactive like so many do.
Or I could just pick up my HEKse or Utopia or Blackwood Auteur :)

Seriously, I’ve picked my cans ‘cuz I like how they sound, I value the differences and I prefer to hear the builder’s voice. I mean, what would be the point of owning 5 great sets of cans and tweaking them to all sound the same.

Really, the point is that I love the Ether 2 for what they are.

May 22, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #2,902 of 3,202
Energetic is a good way to put it. I don’t find them bright, but they do present with more treble energy. Maybe it’s a distortion thing, as the Ethers sound very low distortion overall. Since you have the TT2, what level difference do you use between HEDD and Ether? I feel like ~ +5 clicks on the TT2 when using HEDD vs Ether.
Sorry, don’t have the answer to this in my pocket — I’ll have to do some listening.

I’ve recently made a bunch of changes to my chain recently, and also participated in a couple of loaner tours, so haven’t thoroughly evaluated the mSc/TT2 rig with all my cans. Especially, comparing the TT2 amp stage to TT2 ==> other amps is a serious hassle.

Meanwhile I’m replacing my NUC PC with a Digione as a source.

But I’ll come up with an answer ... real soon now :)

May 23, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #2,903 of 3,202
Seriously, I’ve picked my cans ‘cuz I like how they sound, I value the differences and I prefer to hear the builder’s voice. I mean, what would be the point of owning 5 great sets of cans and tweaking them to all sound the same.
One of the headphones you mentioned weights twice as much as the Ether 2, so that woud be one reason (also a reason why I chose Ether 2 with EQ over TH909 without, headband construction being the other).

May 23, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #2,904 of 3,202
Or I could just pick up my HEKse or Utopia or Blackwood Auteur :)

Really, the point is that I love the Ether 2 for what they are.
Nice set of cans - except the Utopia isn't my cuppa.

I've been building kits, modifying and building speakers, electronics, and designing and building sound rooms for about 40 years w/ loudspeaker based systems - to overcome room issues, questionable cross over parts, etc. As I moved to this world I found brilliant drivers with poor ancillary pieces or omission by plain cost cutting (HFM) for instance. I have all my 4 major cans EQ'd (parametric digital) and modified (damping, head fit, cables, pads, etc.) to make up for the fit to my head, very crufty cables (or RCA) ringing, vagaries of tuning and manufacture.

I assume our goals are similar, but there are certainly different ways to get there.

E2 is probably the cheapest great can available retail. However, I'd say at least 70% of its fans think it is reticent in the treble, and about 100% of its detractors agree. It's a tell it like it is can w/ low coloration, superb bass, focus, depth.... when the technology is there to address that weakness, I look for, test alternates and choose the best path IMO. I wish I could afford them by my kitty is for the Susvara or better.

May 23, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #2,905 of 3,202
Hi all,

Ive just received a set of ether 2's and with nothing playing Im hearing crackles/crinkles through the right cup if I move my head or touch the right ear cup.

Left side is silent.

Is this normal? Unfortunately for me the set are second hand, purchased new in early 2020.
Thank you

May 24, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #2,906 of 3,202
Hi all,

Ive just received a set of ether 2's and with nothing playing Im hearing crackles/crinkles through the right cup if I move my head or touch the right ear cup.

Left side is silent.

Is this normal? Unfortunately for me the set are second hand, purchased new in early 2020.
Thank you

Playing with this today and I think its the adhesive on the perforated pads isnt sticky any more and the noise is it attaching and detaching in a spot.

Will order some new pads.

May 28, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #2,907 of 3,202
So a little over two weeks now and I have to say I keep getting impressed with them. I have a TH-X00 Ebony at work and they are somewhat fatiguing listening to through an entire work day, and loose some "oomph" at lower volumes. At the end of the work day in the home office with the Ether 2 I just want to keep listening! And even at low volumes, I feel the bass massaging my eardrums (granted, I've EQ'd it a little bit because I listen to a lot of electronic music).

Never heard as silky smooth treble as this in any headphone ever, I think, be it in-ear or over-ear. :thumbsup:

My only criticism now is that the soundstage could have been wider... and also, I can no longer listen to some poorly produced stuff... 😅

EDIT: Four week update... I've also never heard a headphone that sounds as good at low volumes as this one. The bass still has physical impact, which is incredible.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #2,908 of 3,202
had my e2 about a year, listening now to The Orb, Further Adventures beyond dark matter live, via audirvana and tt2, the bass is outrageous. The listening experience has been outrageous, ever since I swapped to audirvana.
I experimented with my in ears se846, but they sounded vastly inferior.
I do believe the audio playback software can be as much as 50% of the formula for musical happiness.

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #2,909 of 3,202
Hello!!
New cans for a breaking period, start:
Ether2-5-mid.jpg

Is the usual packaging like the one in the following photo?:
Ether2-3-mid.jpg

Let's listen to what they give of themselves :)

Be careful out there.
C.K.

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #2,910 of 3,202
mScaler/TT2 ==> Ether 2 impressions posted here.

tl;dr In summary, mTT2 ==> E2 is the best I've heard these cans -- wonderful headstage; truly an immersive musical space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back