ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Apr 27, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #2,596 of 3,209
Thanks very much for that. As far as I'm aware Dan has never suggested the Voce pads as an option for the E2 which re-enforces what you say.
I just got the VOCE pads for the Ether 2, and the VOCE pads are listed as an accessory for the Ether 2 on the Dan Clark website "These ear pads sport a very large round opening for the ear. Designed for our VOCE Electrostatic headphone, the pads are also compatible with all ETHER headphone models.". In a video by Dan Clark, he mentions that the adhesive needs to be custom modified for the VOCE, but no word about it not being recommended.

I prefer the VOCE pads over the stock pads for sure. The stock pads get my ears really hot rather quickly, the additional air in the VOCE pads helps with that. The changes in tonality when doing small adjustments of the position relative to ears is a plus in my book.

That sounds more encouraging. Thank you. It's hard to believe that comfort is an issue given how light these headphones are - I can hardly feel I'm wearing them for the first ten mins or so but I then start to get increasing discomfort behind my ears. My theory is that the clamp force isn't high but that, because the earcup is only attached to the strap at the rear, this is where the clamp force is focused - it's not spread around the entire earpad. I've tried bending the nitonol strap but without much success - nitonol is a memory metal and trying to bend it feels like man v NASA. I appreciate though that I'm one of a very small minority who has comfort issues with the majority of comments being along the lines of "these are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn".

Although the surface area of the Voce pads that sits on the head is small, I'm hoping the shape might solve the comfort issue - they should sit on the head further behind the ears, hopefully missing a sensitive spot? I'm prepared to be flexible regarding the sonic impact up to a point - comfort is the main issue here.

I'm hearing two quite different opinions on this at the moment - and I really appreciate both - but any more thoughts would be most welcome.

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #2,597 of 3,209
I got in touch with Mark at Electromod in the UK today to see if he stocks the Voce pads and check how these are attached to the Ether 2s. He, in turn, got in touch with Dan who said that the Voce pads only fit the Ether Flow headphones. I'd be interested to know how you've attached yours NiceStongArm? And Dan, if you're passing by, some further clarification would be helpful?

Apr 27, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #2,598 of 3,209
O
I just got the VOCE pads for the Ether 2, and the VOCE pads are listed as an accessory for the Ether 2 on the Dan Clark website "These ear pads sport a very large round opening for the ear. Designed for our VOCE Electrostatic headphone, the pads are also compatible with all ETHER headphone models.". In a video by Dan Clark, he mentions that the adhesive needs to be custom modified for the VOCE, but no word about it not being recommended.

I prefer the VOCE pads over the stock pads for sure. The stock pads get my ears really hot rather quickly, the additional air in the VOCE pads helps with that. The changes in tonality when doing small adjustments of the position relative to ears is a plus in my book.

Over on another site, the recommended pads for VOCE are the Stax SRM-007 pads. Regarding the VOCE cans, the recommendation is that the Ether flow (not ether-2) pads actullay work better than the VOCE pads.

As the saying goes, "Horses for Courses"

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #2,599 of 3,209
Folks, there's incorrect information on pads going around here. ETHER Flow and VOCE pads are interchangeable, ETHER 2 is not compatible with those pads nor will ETHER 2 pads work on VOCE or ETHER Flow models. The information in the last few posts assigns qualities to pads with models that they don't fit and so I think the information is not to be trusted as accurate.

If anyone has a specific question on fit or sound signature I suggest you quote me to get a direct and accurate response.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 27, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #2,600 of 3,209
Folks, there's incorrect information on pads going around here. ETHER Flow and VOCE pads are interchangeable, ETHER 2 is not compatible with those pads nor will ETHER 2 pads work on VOCE or ETHER Flow models. The information in the last few posts assigns qualities to pads with models that they don't fit and so I think the information is not to be trusted as accurate.

If anyone has a specific question on fit or sound signature I suggest you quote me to get a direct and accurate response.

Corrected the previous post (accidentally mis-typed-sorry). Recommendation from other site now accurate.

Apr 27, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #2,601 of 3,209

Why do you then sell me last week a package with Ether 2 headphones and VOCE pads? Ordered from you directly and even talked on the phone. Really confusing.

Apr 28, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #2,602 of 3,209
Why do you then sell me last week a package with Ether 2 headphones and VOCE pads? Ordered from you directly and even talked on the phone. Really confusing.
Probably because it impossible for them to know whether or not you own other headphones. More importantly, the actual cart sysytem is automatic so they would have no way or reason to flag that purchase. Sometimes customers make mistakes.

Apr 28, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #2,603 of 3,209

Thanks for the clarification Dan. But please note that the source of the incorrect information seems to be your website which says: "Designed for our VOCE Electrostatic headphone, the pads are also compatible with all ETHER headphone models."

Apr 28, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #2,604 of 3,209
Probably because it impossible for them to know whether or not you own other headphones. More importantly, the actual cart sysytem is automatic so they would have no way or reason to flag that purchase. Sometimes customers make mistakes.
Actually, I put a note with my order, which prompted them to call me. So the cart system is not automatic.

Apr 28, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #2,606 of 3,209
Dans original response

I believe DCA jay considers the Ether models (C Flow and Flow) to be a unique line to the Ether 2 model.

Since they have the identical prefix (ether) they seem to refer to the same thing, but with a totally new (And in my opinion better) mounting system they are two different series much like Ether C and Aeon C are different. At least that is my thought :ksc75smile:

Apr 28, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #2,607 of 3,209
DSCF2864.JPG

I`m usually a lurker here. But it seems like some people are continuously having an issue with side pressure of Ether2. I have a rather large head and had the same issue before. I tried to address this issue with suede pads and perforated pads. But to no avail that didn`t help much to improve side pressure which is not so strong, but definitely noticeable and never go away. To me, the comfort is very important factor which always comes first. So I eventually tried to bend the thin metal wires to improve side pressure which nobody in this thread would recommend before. It took dozens of times to bend the metal wires. To my surprise, these metal wires were indeed strong and durable. When I finally managed to shape them to my desired fit, they became so much comfortable. The side pressure was gone and they only maintained enough tension to sit around my ears. After this adjustment, I`ve been thoroughly enjoying these headphones. They are pure bliss when you listen to them at late night. I hope my experience would help people with the same issue, but also advise to do this only if you think it is necessary, as the shape of the metal wires wouldn`t quite look the same as the original shape when you do this.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #2,609 of 3,209

that was written before we had an ETHER 2 and was not updates, sorry about that. I will fix that, sorry for the confusion. Of course we will refund you for the pads, contact info@danclarkaudio.con and we will take care of you, and I will update that page.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back