ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Jun 1, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #2,627 of 3,209
I’m saving my pennies, recovering from the dive.

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #2,628 of 3,209
Greetings to all Ether lovers out there. I am a new member to the group, planning to get my Ether 2s. Has anyone heard them with the Fezz Audio Omega Lupi (push pull with PCL86 x4)? I am a bit concerned as it is reported as emphasizing the mid-bass.
thanks for your help, Nikos

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #2,629 of 3,209
Hi Nikos. It might be difficult to find someone with that pairing but check with your DCAudio distributer and see if they allow returns. I had a question that others would not be able to answer (will Ethers fit my big, fat head) and my local dealer let me live with the Ether for a couple of weeks on their 30-day return policy.

The return policy is up to the dealer so it might not be possible in London, but asking is free.

Oh, and thank you Bloom. The Ether 2 fit my 7 5/8-inch head like a charm.

Greetings to all Ether lovers out there. I am a new member to the group, planning to get my Ether 2s. Has anyone heard them with the Fezz Audio Omega Lupi (push pull with PCL86 x4)? I am a bit concerned as it is reported as emphasizing the mid-bass.
thanks for your help, Nikos

Jun 3, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #2,630 of 3,209
If I may ask again. Ether 2 would be extremely irritating to me. Has anybody already heard Ether 2 and AEON2c and can say something about it, if it is worth to buy the Ether 2 additionally?

Tests are very good everywhere. But 2 listeners that sound almost the same would also be a pity for the money. So I asked myself if it would be a good addition to my existing listeners.

It would be great if someone could say something about it!

Jun 3, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #2,631 of 3,209
My impressions of the Ether 2 (E2), gained with a Monoprice Liquid Platinum (LP) as a source, have been deleted because both the transducer and the source were not representative of what you would get. The E2 needed service, which DCA provided free, and the LP is a tube kit - too many variables to share impressions. I’ll just say I love both units.

I can share my impressions privately, in chat, if you are concerned.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #2,632 of 3,209
I’m a lousy audio hobbyist, for many reasons, but (my AA moment) I am one and I drink audio the same as many forum browsers. I’ve spent about 50-hours, after burn-in, and swept through six genres with my new (to me) DCA Ether 2s. The chain starts with an iMac running QOBUZ and playing ALAC/AIFF/FLAC files in VLC. From there I run through an AudioQuest Emerald USB cable into a Bel Canto e2.7 DAC. The 2.7 outputs through short Monoprice XLR cables (yawn) into a Liquid Platinum. (Electro-Harmonix 6922 EH). It may not be up to H-F forum standards but does represent a segment of hobbyists.

There are several companies selling headphones at or around the $2k price and all have different strengths. I opted for these over the others for several reasons (below) and have not been disappointed.

Pros:
- Fantastic for jazz, small ensemble, solo artists and acoustic. This is where I spend most of my listening time.
- Very good or excellent for Electronic
- Good for EDM (I would enjoy fatter bass in this genre)
- Very good sound stage and imaging
- You can hear what is going on around you
- Fine voicing, by real people
- I’m a fan of this pack-in cable
- Ear pad selection
- Less than 300 grams weight
- Excellent choice of materials
- Packed in a travel case
- Made in California

Cons:
- Not bass-heavy enough, not OVER emphasized, for some metal heads and rap fans unless you pay another $80 for suede ear pads. Then maybe okay on this count.
- Not my favorite for classical symphonic orchestra
- Open back design can be heard by others around you...
- ...and you can hear them
- About 100-hour "burn-in" time before they sound their best
- Don’t sniff my ear pads, yo

Is there a headphone that can be marvelous at all genres at this price point? I suspect one is looking at two different headphones if one wants to be amazed by ALL genres of music.

Listening Impression: The Ether takes my breath away with solo artists, small jazz ensemble, and acoustic music. They are worth a place on my desk for electronic and EDM, also. However, the Ether is not voiced to catch all the instruments equally in the higher frequencies sometimes found in classical symphonic orchestra work. Where I noticed a hole was the Pittsburgh SO recording (Reference Recordings, qobuz link ) of Tchaikovsky Symphony #4, Finale @ 1:32. In this case there is a chime used several times in a 20-second span. One would risk their hearing on the preceding passage should they have the volume up enough to hear the chime with its intended presence. (I don’t “ride the volume”)

Imaging. My scale is as follows. (Ether 2 usually plays in the bold)
- I’m in the 18th row, center, and the wave of violins in front of the upright bass section, playing from right to left, was amazing
- She is singing right there, in front of me
- I’m in the midst of the music
- I can almost hear it outside my head, sometimes, maybe (I think)
- There is a stage in my head
- Three blobs
- One blob: Mono in my head.

My setup is good but not great at 3D audio and besides, I’m “not all [of] that.“ Sometimes, with the Ether 2, a recording manages to present far outside the right or left enough to make me look if my wife caught me wasting time listening to music. Usually not. Most of the time the music is well staged, with some depth, in my head.

Summary. I feel it is unreasonable to expect a headphone to present all genres with the same visceral impact. The Ether is amazing at 80~90% of what I listen to. You and I need to decide where we want to compromise:

- reduce ‘amazing’ a notch and find an all-in-one headphone
- own two (or more) amazing headphones
- live with a ‘hole where the chimes can hide’
- spend serious car money on an amazing all-in-one

No regrets. None.

Bravo, wonderfully well written piece. I love the E2, for those that don't know it, it's a can for acoustic recordings and instruments, that will nicely serve 4-5-6 piece jazz bands, and light/soft well recorded rock (in both cases extra points for female vocals). It's an evolution of the HFM HEX v2 that plays louder, and more assertive in the upper mids.

You might want to check out a HFM Arya, a little brasher in the treble, might cover most of what's missing. If the bass for both still doesn't bang enough, try a digital parametric EQ, both cans take EQ well. IMO they'd need 2-4 db more under 60. I can't go along with the Oratory_1990 bass settings which would be far more heavy handed.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #2,633 of 3,209
What great comments: Thank you Bagwell. Certainly value added.

Bravo, wonderfully well written piece. I love the E2, for those that don't know it, it's a can for acoustic recordings and instruments, that will nicely serve 4-5-6 piece jazz bands, and light/soft well recorded rock (in both cases extra points for female vocals). It's an evolution of the HFM HEX v2 that plays louder, and more assertive in the upper mids.

You might want to check out a HFM Arya, a little brasher in the treble, might cover most of what's missing. If the bass for both still doesn't bang enough, try a digital parametric EQ, both cans take EQ well. IMO they'd need 2-4 db more under 60. I can't go along with the Oratory_1990 bass settings.

Jun 3, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #2,634 of 3,209
I’m a lousy audio hobbyist, for many reasons, but (my AA moment) I am one and I drink audio the same as many forum denizens. I’ve spent about 50-hours with my new (to me) DCA Ether 2, after burn-in, and swept through six music genres. The chain may not be up to H-F forum standards but does represent a segment of hobbyists. It starts with...

- an iMac running QOBUZ and playing ALAC/AIFF/FLAC files in VLC.
- From there I run through an AudioQuest Emerald USB cable into a Bel Canto e2.7 DAC.
- The 2.7 outputs through short Monoprice XLR cables (yawn) into a Liquid Platinum. (Electro-Harmonix 6922 EH).

There are several companies selling headphones at or around the $2k price and all have different strengths. I opted for the E2 over others for several reasons (below) and have not been disappointed.

Pros:
- Fantastic for jazz, small ensemble, solo artists and acoustic. This is where I spend most of my listening time.
- Ear pad selection
- Made in California

Cons:
- Not bass-heavy enough, not OVER emphasized, for some metal heads and rap fans unless you pay another $80 for suede ear pads. Then maybe okay on this count.

I suspect one is looking at two different headphones if one wants to be amazed by ALL genres of music. Is there a headphone that can be marvelous at all genres at this price point?

Listening Impression: The Ether takes my breath away with solo artists, small jazz ensemble, and acoustic music. The E2 is welcome to a place on my desk for electronic and EDM, also. However, the Ether is not voiced to catch all the instruments equally in the higher frequencies sometimes found in classical symphonic orchestra work. Where I noticed a hole was the Pittsburgh SO recording (Reference Recordings, qobuz link ) of Tchaikovsky Symphony #4, Finale @ 1:32. In this case there is a chime used several times in a 20-second span. One would risk their hearing on the preceding passage should they have the volume up enough to hear the chime with its intended presence. (I don’t “ride the volume”)

- I’m in the 18th row, center, and the wave of violins in front of the upright bass section, playing from right to left, was amazing
- Three blobs

My setup is good but not great at 3D audio and, besides, I’m “not all [of] that.“ Sometimes, with the Ether 2, a recording manages to present far outside the right or left enough to make me look if my wife caught me wasting time listening to music. Usually not. Most of the time the music is well staged, with some depth, in my head.

Summary. I feel it is unreasonable to expect a headphone to present all genres with the same visceral impact. The Ether is amazing at 80~90% of what I listen to. You and I need to decide where we want to compromise:

No regrets. None.

Thanks for sharing your impressions! If you want even more soundstage, more bass, and more upper-end presence try the perforated pads, they'll do exactly that. The suede pads are a super smooth and warm sound with a very smooth high-end delivery. I particularly love the suede for electronica and rock, and the perforated for acoustic and actually for electronica as well. You can get 3 different voicings and 2 different fits from the same headphone... :xf_cool:

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 3, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #2,635 of 3,209
It is always amazing to get engagement from you Dan. Thank you for your kind words. (Now, get back to work)

I’m looking forward to the perfs in my near future. Especially since a smoker wore my E2 stock pads and I can’t get the smell out. :rolling_eyes: **ack~ack** But first I need to drop bigger bread into your crowd sourcing effort.

All the best
Phil

Thanks for sharing your impressions! If you want even more soundstage, more bass, and more upper-end presence try the perforated pads, they'll do exactly that. The suede pads are a super smooth and warm sound with a very smooth high-end delivery. I particularly love the suede for electronica and rock, and the perforated for acoustic and actually for electronica as well. You can get 3 different voicings and 2 different fits from the same headphone... :xf_cool:

Jun 3, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #2,636 of 3,209
Hi Nikos. It might be difficult to find someone with that pairing but check with your DCAudio distributer and see if they allow returns. I had a question that others would not be able to answer (will Ethers fit my big, fat head) and my local dealer let me live with the Ether for a couple of weeks on their 30-day return policy.

The return policy is up to the dealer so it might not be possible in London, but asking is free.

Oh, and thank you Bloom. The Ether 2 fit my 7 5/8-inch head like a charm.
Thank you this is indeed helpful

Jun 3, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #2,637 of 3,209
I’m a lousy audio hobbyist, for many reasons, but (my AA moment) I am one and I drink audio the same as many forum denizens. I’ve spent about 50-hours with my new (to me) DCA Ether 2, after burn-in, and swept through six music genres. The chain may not be up to H-F forum standards but does represent a segment of hobbyists. It starts with...

- an iMac running QOBUZ and playing ALAC/AIFF/FLAC files in VLC.
- From there I run through an AudioQuest Emerald USB cable into a Bel Canto e2.7 DAC.
- The 2.7 outputs through short Monoprice XLR cables (yawn) into a Liquid Platinum. (Electro-Harmonix 6922 EH).

There are several companies selling headphones at or around the $2k price and all have different strengths. I opted for the E2 over others for several reasons (below) and have not been disappointed.

Pros:
- Ear pad selection
- Made in California

Cons:

I suspect one is looking at two different headphones if one wants to be amazed by ALL genres of music. Is there a headphone that can be marvelous at all genres at this price point?

Listening Impression: The Ether takes my breath away with solo artists, small jazz ensemble, and acoustic music. The E2 is welcome to a place on my desk for electronic and EDM, also. However, the Ether is not voiced to catch all the instruments equally in the higher frequencies sometimes found in classical symphonic orchestra work. Where I noticed a hole was the Pittsburgh SO recording (Reference Recordings, qobuz link ) of Tchaikovsky Symphony #4, Finale @ 1:32. In this case there is a chime used several times in a 20-second span. One would risk their hearing on the preceding passage should they have the volume up enough to hear the chime with its intended presence. (I don’t “ride the volume”)

- Three blobs

My setup is good but not great at 3D audio and, besides, I’m “not all [of] that.“ Sometimes, with the Ether 2, a recording manages to present far outside the right or left enough to make me look if my wife caught me wasting time listening to music. Usually not. Most of the time the music is well staged, with some depth, in my head.

No regrets. None.
Great detailed description, this is never written in a magazine review. Briliant

Jun 3, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #2,638 of 3,209
Dang: Thank you Nikos. High praise indeed.

Great detailed description, this is never written in a magazine review. Briliant

Jun 5, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #2,639 of 3,209
Confession: I posted the following in another forum. I thought it might be welcome here, also.

Here are some parametric equalizer parameters I've brewed for the Ether 2 to pick-up what is happening in the FR hole on orchestra recordings. They are just a start (and a little bothersome) as I do not eq. as rule. I won't be an h8r if anyone would like to chip in and fix this mess.

Ether 2 Settings
  • 3db at 4k, Q of 6
  • 2db at 7k, Q of 4
  • 4.5db at 10k, Q of 6
I haven't applied a high or low shelf yet, nor have I tested with voice as I only use this for orchestra.

All the best

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #2,640 of 3,209
can anyone help me find an adapter to connect the 4 pin vivo balanced cable to chord tt2s XLR 3 pin sockets?

it seems like it might be necessary to get a custom adapter made up, if so, can i get someone to confirm this is the XLR pin wiring configuration (i got this from dans web site for a cable jack):

and this is the cable :
https://www.headamp.com/products/dan-clark-audio-vivo-premium-headphone-cable-for-ether-aeon-models

LEFT:
  • 1 = L+
  • 2 = L- (or ground for single ended cables)
  • 3 = open
  • 4 = open
RIGHT:
  • 1 = R+
  • 2 = R- (or ground for single ended cables)
  • 3 = open
  • 4 = open

I also found this post, but i'm just checking:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ether-2-impressions-and-discussion.890282/post-15004872
1591695805510.png

so this picture seems to be for the right connector.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back