ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Mar 5, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #1,561 of 3,210
While this isn't always the case, puncturing the outer housing is most often caused by folding the cable or winding it too tight and small. If the cable gets a hard kink or a fold in it, the wire can escape the housing. Since you had this issue twice, and we rarely get reports of this, without seeing it this is my best guess as to what happened. You can always send a photo and we can diagnose better. If it was a manufacturing defect and you're under warranty we'll take care of it.

I admit that I'm not easy on headphone cables as I tend to walk around while wearing headphones. However, the DUM cables have not lasted as long as many other cables I've owned. I think the issue is that the inner wire is too stiff and the outer fabric's weave is not tight enough.

I've had the best luck with lightweight flexible cables like the ones from Impact Audio (which sadly seems to have closed). Audeze cables used to have a lot of problems and then they switched to a similar design and the problems are gone.

I'd be happy to send you photos, if it would be helpful. The cables are no longer under warranty. If they were, I would have contacted you, since I've always found your support to be excellent.

Mar 5, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #1,562 of 3,210
The first pad to come out will have a larger ear hole and a perforated inner wall which gives a slightly larger soundstage and a little less upper bass warmth. The larger ear hole will make the clamp feel slightly lighter for those who want a "softer touch." We're also working on a synthetic suede version with a larger hole for those concerned about humidity.

I'll post more detailed impressions next week as we're hoping to have the final prototypes for the new pads arriving this week.

While this isn't always the case, puncturing the outer housing is most often caused by folding the cable or winding it too tight and small. If the cable gets a hard kink or a fold in it, the wire can escape the housing. Since you had this issue twice, and we rarely get reports of this, without seeing it this is my best guess as to what happened. You can always send a photo and we can diagnose better. If it was a manufacturing defect and you're under warranty we'll take care of it.
My Dumbo-ears are looking forward to the new pads

Mar 5, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #1,564 of 3,210
Too bad that I can't make that 5k plunge now. I may have to hear it at some point. But I might have to wait until S&P hits 3000.
Don't worry, I'm sure the monoprice will sound great with the ether 2! It's a very decent sounding and powerful balanced dac/amp.

Mar 6, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #1,565 of 3,210
Too bad that I can't make that 5k plunge now. I may have to hear it at some point. But I might have to wait until S&P hits 3000.

The change to the Hugo TT2 in my system made the greatest change to better sound than any piece of equipment that I've ever owned. I'm sure there's better stuff in the summit-fi section, but for me this is probably end game for many years. I have to thank my fiance for getting it for me as a Christmas present as well as the E2. Then again her ring cost way more than her gift, but I'm not complaining.

Mar 6, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #1,566 of 3,210
The change to the Hugo TT2 in my system made the greatest change to better sound than any piece of equipment that I've ever owned. I'm sure there's better stuff in the summit-fi section, but for me this is probably end game for many years. I have to thank my fiance for getting it for me as a Christmas present as well as the E2. Then again her ring cost way more than her gift, but I'm not complaining.
Lucky man :)

Mar 6, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #1,567 of 3,210
HaH anyone had a chance to try out the E2s on the Headamp GS-X mini?

I'm looking at upgrading my amp and am being drawn in by this soon to be released piece of gear. Thinking polished red, but would love to hear any impressions from the recent CanJam.

Mar 6, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #1,568 of 3,210

Talk about a nice gift and awesome fiancé. Congrats. My E2s sound incredible out of Hugo2 and I’ve been itching to hear them out of the TT2. The only thing holding me back is not needing to spend $5k right now and knowing I won’t be able to put the genie back in the bottle after I hear that combo.

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #1,570 of 3,210
Yes, that warmth is what I liked the most with the Ether 2.
But Dan needs to fix that comfort issue ASAP to sell more. I think that the most distinguishing character which is obvious is its light weight. But I saw a fair number of people were saying that this 290g headphone is less comfortable than a headphone weighing more than 400g.
That’s weird. I found they are extremely comfortable to me with no issue for hours use. Or maybe they just suit my head size well.

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #1,571 of 3,210
Life is an expensive "hobby."

Mar 6, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #1,572 of 3,210
Something I did that worked wonders for comfort was to loosen the headband a bit more than I might normally and let the cups sit lower on my head than normal. On my head at least, the seal stayed perfect, the FR did not change, but the clamp force was much reduced with just a bit more slack from the headband. Anyone who is having issues with the clamp force ought to try it.

Mar 6, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #1,573 of 3,210
Something I did that worked wonders for comfort was to loosen the headband a bit more than I might normally and let the cups sit lower on my head than normal. On my head at least, the seal stayed perfect, the FR did not change, but the clamp force was much reduced with just a bit more slack from the headband. Anyone who is having issues with the clamp force ought to try it.

This is correct and true for all our headphones, there's no need to make them "snug," that increase the clamp force for no reason. We design the headphones so the strap only carries a bit of the weight. Ideally if you close your eyes, you'll feel uniform "weight" in continuous arc from one ear pad to the other...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 6, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #1,574 of 3,210
This is correct and true for all our headphones, there's no need to make them "snug," that increase the clamp force for no reason. We design the headphones so the strap only carries a bit of the weight. Ideally if you close your eyes, you'll feel uniform "weight" in continuous arc from one ear pad to the other...
Given the size of cup opening, there is only so much distance you can move before clipping your ears..... assuming your ear is not small that is

Mar 6, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #1,575 of 3,210
Given the size of cup opening, there is only so much distance you can move before clipping your ears..... assuming your ear is not small that is

That's correct, it's not about moving the cup, it's about not overtightening the strap. Very little pressure should be on the top of the head, that will then reduce clamp. The new optional ear pads with a larger ear hole do give a bit more flexibility in positioning.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back