ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Jan 13, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #1,262 of 3,210
Okay for those who have been wanting a comparison to EFO, I have been doing a bit of A/B testing between E2, EFO, Auteur, Atticus, LCD2, HD800S, Utopia, Aeon Flow Open, HD650 and some Grados.

First of all, i really like the E2's. I started comparing them to all of these others because they have a very unique sound that I really like. They are not just an upgraded version of the EFO; they have a rather different sound signature and frequency response. I realized that I would need to compare them to a wide number of headphones to gauge their competitive advantages.

Before I begin, I'll offer the standard disclaimer that this is just my opinion and warn that I am just writing about my subjective impressions and preferences; I did not go Tyll and measure and compare to Harmon curve or anything. This is just my two cents.

One thing that I noticed while listening to the E2 was that my focus always remained squarely centered around the vocals, which were more forward than the EFO. They were also more lifelike and clear than on the EFO. Listening to the EFO, on the other hand, I found my mind drifting from vocals to various instruments much more freely. This leads me to believe that perhaps the EFO is more neutral as I was reminded of the way that my attention drifts similarly when I listen to HD600 or 650.

So then I brought out my HD650. The signature of the HD650 seemed to have a "family resemblance" to the E2, at least the frequency response, although E2 has much more focus on vocals (and midrange magic?) Quick aside, I've been blown away by my 650s recently and can't believe how good they sound. I think they beat a good number of +$1,000 headphones. The EFO would be more like the 600 with a flatter frequency response.

The E2 has more bass than EFO and it is very high quality bass. Don't expect rumbling boomy bass like a Fostex or something. This is tight and extremely controlled but balanced bass. Plenty of bass for me. Very, very nice.

The detail, accuracy, and 3D imaging of the E2 also reminded me of the HD800S. When I brought those out, I preferred the E2. The E2 is not bright. abrasive, or peaky. I don't know if I'd say it was dark though. It sounds pretty spot on in terms of tone. Like the HD800S it does a great job handling nuanced electronica sounds (thinking of my comparison while listening to Homogenic). Also, like the HD800S they are very light, although they're not as comfortable. The soundstage is huge. Maybe not as big as HD800S with as "accurate" imaging but the best I've heard on any planar and truly top-class.

I compared them to the ZMF Auteur and Atticus too. I have a real weak spot for ZMF and I just love them. Whatever downsides their headphones may have relative to any other headphone, they make up for with their engaging, fun, warm, and natural sounding sonic profile. The E2 and ZMF headphones are really different animals. Quite different, so I can't really give too many insights but I did feel that the Auteur sounded more lifelike than the E2.

To come back full circle, now that I have and love E2, would I sell my EFO? Certainly, not for the time being despite my preference for the E2. The EFO is like a 600 to the HD800S, at some level. I love the EFO because it seems more neutral and all of the frequencies appear balanced so that my mind wanders from one instrument to another with nothing dominating. With the E2, vocals are really out front and center but I like that as well. E2 have more detail, more separation, bigger more accurate soundstage, and a cleaner, more engaging and fun sound but I still love EFO too. They're quite different sounding and I think that the E2 has more of a family resemblance to the Aeon Flow Open than the EFO and also a kind of similar frequency response to the HD650 maybe.

I came up with a tentative relative ranking of my currently owned headphones as a result of this comparison that I'll list for some context.

Favorite non-electrostatic headphones right now
1) ZMF Auteur
2) Mr Speakers Ether 2
3) Focal Utopia
4) ZMF Atticus
5) MrSpeakers Ether Flow Open
6) MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open
7))HD 800S
8) Grado HP1000
9) Audeze LCD2 with Fazor
10) Grado GS2000E

You are absolutely right in that E2 has forward vocals. That is quite obvious compared to Focal Clear in which vocals sound more distant. But I think vocals on hd800s are even more recessed. I think the Clear is somewhere between E2 and HD800S in that regard.
On E2, I feel that vocals are singing in the front row and drums and other instruments are right behind vocals. On Focal Clear, it is more like vocals, drums, and other instruments play in the same row. The Empyrean sounded like drums play in the front row, and vocals are singing behind.
I am pretty sure that there are some folks who prefer vocals on Focal Clear if they think vocals are too close on E2. But there are some pros and cons regarding this. While you are not going to be bothered by poor vocals you really don't enjoy, it sounds more analytical. I mean it dissects music into several tiny parts. Chances are you are likely to lose a big picture like flows, rhythm, and etc. E2 seems to retain more flows thanks to vocals are centered in the headstage. But if you don't like vocals, then it will be a different story anyway.

Anyway, I think forward vocals are MrSpeakers' house sounds. EFC, AFO, E2 all sound very differently, but all of them have forward vocals.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #1,263 of 3,210
You are absolutely right in that E2 has forward vocals. That is quite obvious compared to Focal Clear in which vocals sound more distant. But I think vocals on hd800s are even more recessed. I think the Clear is somewhere between E2 and HD800S in that regard.
On E2, I feel that vocals are singing in the front row and drums and other instruments are right behind vocals. On Focal Clear, it is more like vocals, drums, and other instruments play in the same row. The Empyrean sounded like drums play in the front row, and vocals are singing behind.
I am pretty sure that there are some folks who prefer vocals on Focal Clear if they think vocals are too close on E2. But there are some pros and cons regarding this. While you are not going to be bothered by poor vocals you really don't enjoy, it sounds more analytical. I mean it dissects music into several tiny parts. Chances are you are likely to lose a big picture like flows, rhythm, and etc. E2 seems to retain more flows thanks to vocals are centered in the headstage. But if you don't like vocals, then it will be a different story anyway.

Anyway, I think forward vocals are MrSpeakers' house sounds. EFC, AFO, E2 all sound very differently, but all of them have forward vocals.
I have the clears and i have been enjoying it so far but i have been gravitating towards the e2. Since you have both, Please how does it compare to the clears?

Jan 13, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #1,264 of 3,210
I have the clears and i have been enjoying it so far but i have been gravitating towards the e2. Since you have both, Please how does it compare to the clears?

E2 is warm-neutral while Clear is bright-neutral. The biggest difference is their timbre/tones on upper mids/lower treble. I already wrote about them in my previous posts.
While they are absolutely different animals, they are more similar than different as both aim for neutral sonic signature. But then it can also be said that lcd4z, E2, the clear are more similar than different (as expected) as they all aim for neutral signature.
I mean, you really need to hear them to find out.

Jan 13, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #1,265 of 3,210
E2 is warm-neutral while Clear is bright-neutral. The biggest difference is their timbre/tones on upper mids/lower treble. I absolutely different animals, they are more similar than different as both aim for neutral sonic signature. But then it can also be said that lcd4z, E2, the clear are more similar than different (as expected) as they all aim for neutral signature.
can you please link me to the previous
E2 is warm-neutral while Clear is bright-neutral. The biggest difference is their timbre/tones on upper mids/lower treble. I already wrote about them in my previous posts.
While they are absolutely different animals, they are more similar than different as both aim for neutral sonic signature. But then it can also be said that lcd4z, E2, the clear are more similar than different (as expected) as they all aim for neutral signature.
Can you please refer me to the page were you wrote about them

Jan 13, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #1,266 of 3,210
That was figuratively not literally...

Just a little joke, I knew exactly what you mean and completely agree.

Unfortunately I have never experienced this with a set of headphones but I have certainly got that from my speaker setup with the right songs with good mastering.

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #1,267 of 3,210
you said it all along. nice catch.

When did you get your pair? I got mine days before New Years and am wondering if mine could be as well.

I got my pair a week ago Friday. I thought they sounded great out of the box. But my early listening was with only acoustic and vocal tracks. Later that night I played classic rock, metal, folk, country, etc.

That’s when I noticed the drums (especially kick drum) sounded soft, muted, and indistinct. The mid bass seemed very south of neutral which is extremely unusual for a planar.

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #1,268 of 3,210

Jan 13, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #1,270 of 3,210
Is it just me or the images is missing? Would be interested to know how the Ether 2 is with Norne cable.

Jan 13, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #1,271 of 3,210
Is it just me or the images is missing? Would be interested to know how the Ether 2 is with Norne cable.
Sorry my laptop is acting up will post pictures of the ether 2 and my none cable soon

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #1,272 of 3,210
It’s great that I received a defective pair of headphones that cost $2000????

Just kidding. I know what you mean.

Very interested in hearing your post replacement review. The pair I had on hand was checked out similarly with Mr Speakers and that was met with an immediate negatory on it being defective. I listened more before letting them go and just couldn't let go of the upper mids and lower treble. It just sounded off. At first, I wasn't the biggest fan of the treble but now I realize I had bigger issues with another part of the range which changed the overall tonality of them in a not so good way for me. If the upper mids and lower treble checked out, that might fix what i feel I'm hearing in the treble. If your exchange fixes all the issues, that would be great as there's lots of potential in them.

Good luck!

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #1,273 of 3,210
Very interested in hearing your post replacement review. The pair I had on hand was checked out similarly with Mr Speakers and that was met with an immediate negatory on it being defective. I listened more before letting them go and just couldn't let go of the upper mids and lower treble. It just sounded off. At first, I wasn't the biggest fan of the treble but now I realize I had bigger issues with another part of the range which changed the overall tonality of them in a not so good way for me. If the upper mids and lower treble checked out, that might fix what i feel I'm hearing in the treble. If your exchange fixes all the issues, that would be great as there's lots of potential in them.

Good luck!

That doesn’t instill confidence. Sorry to hear that. So what did you end up doing with your Ether 2?

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #1,274 of 3,210
That doesn’t instill confidence. Sorry to hear that. So what did you end up doing with your Ether 2?

I'm lucky in this case it wasn't mine but a good friend's. I'm fairly sure he plans to return it as the Clear, Atticus and Autuer outperformed his E2. He's still on the search for a great headphone with that planar bass.

Jan 14, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #1,275 of 3,210
I got my pair a week ago Friday. I thought they sounded great out of the box. But my early listening was with only acoustic and vocal tracks. Later that night I played classic rock, metal, folk, country, etc.

That’s when I noticed the drums (especially kick drum) sounded soft, muted, and indistinct. The mid bass seemed very south of neutral which is extremely unusual for a planar.

Very few cans worth a damn in my experience sounds anywhere normal until 150 hours of music being played - with bass content - some low/mid/upper. Some heavy, some med, some light

Also given your very positive review of the Arya, IYO, the E2 is not so good...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back