ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Dec 2, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #961 of 3,209
This morning has been a nice listening session with ETHER 2. I started off some Classical with a Christmas bent. I'm instantly impressed with the timbre of instruments and especially the speed and decay of complex passages. When the orchestra really digs in with dynamics, the e2 delivers the goods. This has reminded how well rounded ETHER 2 is with so many diverse genres of music. This was from a Classical Christmas 3cd set.

Then I cued up some smooth jazz..Andy Shepard/Espen Eriksen called Home. This is more of a smooth jazz piece and very well recorded. I noticed two things as I floated through the tracks with this one. One, the bass is simply stunning. So tight and extended that you can't help but smile as it exceeds your expectations. I've been down the full home speaker setup a few times before. The bass from e2 with these tracks reminds of two very good subs, expertly tuned in a well treated room. The next thing that jumped out at me was the tone of saxophone and subtle details coming from this instrument. I've played this instrument for 35 years, so I'm somewhat familiar with it. The piano sounds just as tonally natural as the sax. Piano is so hard to get right with tone.

Before I knew it a few hours had passed and it was time to take care of Sunday obligations. But it's enjoyment of listening sessions like this that I'm in this hobby.
You are do right about the Epsen Eriksen Trio. The E2 reproduces the transient highs and tight bass as well as any HP that I have heard. Max Richter is pleasure to listen to, also. The E2s effortlessly present the classical, jazz and electronic fusion of that genius.

Dec 2, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #962 of 3,209
Dec 2, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #964 of 3,209
I'm really interested in a pair of these, but for me it would be an either/or proposition between these and my current LCD-4's, which I would considering retiring/selling due to their weight given how many hours/day I wear them. I love them dearly, but lighter would be a great selling point for me if the quality and quantity of sound (particularly on the low end) on the E2's is competitive.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Dec 3, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #965 of 3,209
You are do right about the Epsen Eriksen Trio. The E2 reproduces the transient highs and tight bass as well as any HP that I have heard. Max Richter is pleasure to listen to, also. The E2s effortlessly present the classical, jazz and electronic fusion of that genius.

These guys are so good. It's time to go to bed..

Dec 3, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #966 of 3,209
I'm really interested in a pair of these, but for me it would be an either/or proposition between these and my current LCD-4's, which I would considering retiring/selling due to their weight given how many hours/day I wear them. I love them dearly, but lighter would be a great selling point for me if the quality and quantity of sound (particularly on the low end) on the E2's is competitive.

Any insight would be appreciated.
I have both the LCD-4 and the Ether2. The Ether 2 bass is of a different quality and "type" compared to the LCD-4. To my ears, the Ether2 bass is more detailed and distinct: you hear very distinct notes. The LCD-4 is more "enveloping", that is, it is as if you are sitting in a room "full of sound." The Ether2 highs are more pleasing: almost ethereal. For my hearing, the LCD-4 is perfectly tuned for heavy metal and hard rock; they do not provide me with the detail that I prefer for classical, jazz and acoustical tracks. The Ether2 does "everything" well. If I had to choose one of the two, it would be the Ether2. It is also astoundingly light.

Dec 6, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #967 of 3,209
I have both the LCD-4 and the Ether2. The Ether 2 bass is of a different quality and "type" compared to the LCD-4. To my ears, the Ether2 bass is more detailed and distinct: you hear very distinct notes. The LCD-4 is more "enveloping", that is, it is as if you are sitting in a room "full of sound." The Ether2 highs are more pleasing: almost ethereal. For my hearing, the LCD-4 is perfectly tuned for heavy metal and hard rock; they do not provide me with the detail that I prefer for classical, jazz and acoustical tracks. The Ether2 does "everything" well. If I had to choose one of the two, it would be the Ether2. It is also astoundingly light.

I mainly listen to rock/metal, so your insight is much appreciated. Could you elaborate a bit more on the difference between the LCD-4 and the E2 when it comes to metal? Or better yet, the Ether Flow (if you've heard it) vs. the E2 in that regard? You say the Ether 2 does everything well, but really how well does it do metal? Others also describe the LCD-4 as the best headphone for metal/rock. The price tag and greater weight however kinda put me off, coupled with the fact I'd probably go with the LCD-4z, which to me looks ugly.

I currently have an Ether C(!) Flow and while I find it does metal much better than the Ether C, it still lacks that slam and "roar" that I yearn for (maybe the fact that it's closed has something to do with it?).

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #971 of 3,209
I checked out that band on tidal briefly and from what I head the records are mastered a little lean in the lower frequencies. Even with my th900s there was no bass I could feel. Gotta run, Ill try to give it a listen tonight.

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #973 of 3,209
We just won another award for ETHER 2, this from an attendee vote at a German headphone show...

Best of Show 2018 - Audiovista_RGB.png

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 6, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #974 of 3,209
I mainly listen to rock/metal, so your insight is much appreciated. Could you elaborate a bit more on the difference between the LCD-4 and the E2 when it comes to metal? Or better yet, the Ether Flow (if you've heard it) vs. the E2 in that regard? You say the Ether 2 does everything well, but really how well does it do metal? Others also describe the LCD-4 as the best headphone for metal/rock. The price tag and greater weight however kinda put me off, coupled with the fact I'd probably go with the LCD-4z, which to me looks ugly.

I currently have an Ether C(!) Flow and while I find it does metal much better than the Ether C, it still lacks that slam and "roar" that I yearn for (maybe the fact that it's closed has something to do with it?).
For me, the Ether2 is superior to the Ether Flow for metal. The bass is more "solid" and the highs are better controlled.
The LCD-4 is just "bigger" (both sonically and physically) than just about any other HP that I have heard.
That is the best that I can do describing the sounds. You really have to listen to the HPs to
Can you give an example of a metal track with slam and 'roar'? Thanks
Try:
Death From Above 1979 -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrZxt476ef4

Lightning Bolt - Ride the Sky if you're looking for something loud

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #975 of 3,209
For me, the Ether2 is superior to the Ether Flow for metal. The bass is more "solid" and the highs are better controlled.
The LCD-4 is just "bigger" (both sonically and physically) than just about any other HP that I have heard.
That is the best that I can do describing the sounds. You really have to listen to the HPs to

Try:
Death From Above 1979 -Heads Up for sure

Lightning Bolt - Ride the Sky if you're looking for something loud

LCD4 (and other LCDs) has a super large transducer, 106mm, than any other HPs. Probably, that might be a reason why you feel LCD4 sounds just bigger.
For a comparison, Focal Utopia has a smallish transducer of 40mm. Ether 2 is somewhere between with 71x45mm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back