ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Nov 29, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #946 of 3,209
Gold lions are a good current produced tube. I use gold lions in some of my amps, for every day use. I will put my NOS tubes in for a serious listening session.
NOS recommendation for LP?

TIA

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #947 of 3,209
E2 sounds technically better than the others. Very fast and detailed. You can follow bass note effortlessly. Tight, potent, and very fast bass (no wooly bass I heard from some HifiMan headphones). I am impressed in that department.
Soundstage is also significantly wider than other two with better 3d imaging capability. To my ears, it is a very open sounding headphone.

Still there is something I like in EFC and AFO, as I have my own idiosyncratic listening preference. EFC and AFO have forward vocals sounding delicious which I like. Vocals on E2 are not forward as much and have a different character.
Also, I have to say ways they present music is considerably different each other (to my ears when I switch them back and forth).

I am still burning my unit with Liquid Platinum which arrived yesterday. E2 seems still improving day after day. Liquid Platinum sounds delicious both with E2 and EFC.
I am in full agreement with the "beauty" of the E2s. I have the LP and Gold Lions burned in with the E2s. What a fabulous combination.

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #948 of 3,209
Well, I will. But there's the whole 'new toy' thing going on right now. Way too much new gear to play with. Plus, now I'm tube rolling. I was actually planning to focus on HEK/LP w/ Gold LIons, once the amp is burned in with stock tubes -- this weekend.
My HEKv2 sounds remarkable with the LP and Gold Lions, also. Happy listening.

Nov 29, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #949 of 3,209
Ive had really good luck with the matsushita pcc88s, also the telefunken pcc88's are a bit more expensive but really nice and maybe better. Not sure yet, but they need to be burned in a bit, mine were a bit warm for my taste w/ E2 at first. Seem to be opening up pretty good. I was impressed enough with the matsushita's to buy a backup pair.

Nov 29, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #951 of 3,209
NOS recommendation for LP?

TIA
I have not auditioned the liquid Platinum, so I can not recommend any tubes. I need to audition a LP to compare to my Liquid Glass.

Nov 29, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #953 of 3,209
If you want to buy the LP and let the Glass go...you've got my number. :smile_phones:
If you want to buy the LP and let the Glass go...you've got my number. :smile_phones:
lol. I need to read up on the LP lol. I love my Liquid Glass. I might sell my Liquid Crimson and HE 1000 ( and that is a maybe)

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #955 of 3,209
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 1, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #956 of 3,209
And we have a second award for ETHER 2, Product of the Year for our #ETHER 2 #headphone from HeadphoneGuru!

https://bit.ly/2TZ0O9w

Headphone.Guru_POTY_OPEN-1.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...pEDjW--uESI4-_2jkVm5j4ZcMlFKzCBg&__tn__=EHH-R

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 1, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #957 of 3,209
And we have a second award for ETHER 2, Product of the Year for our #ETHER 2 #headphone from HeadphoneGuru!

https://bit.ly/2TZ0O9w

Dan, do you have any plan to provide tuning pads or pad swapping options for Ether 2?
Ether 2 is pretty close to my ideal frequency response, but it would be great if I can lift 0.8k-4k relative to other frequencies. I am playing around with my parametric eq software to find best adjustments. Because I have not seen any professional measurements yet, I need to rely on my guess. But once I lifted a presence region (around 0.8k-4k) by 0.5-1.5 db, Ether 2 sounded better to my ears. It is such a small lift, but it made difference to my ears.
And with a small adjustment, it sounded absolutely better than afo and efc.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #958 of 3,209
That's why I would like to see some good measurements, it needs just a slight eq and then it is perfect. Took me a few weeks to realize that, but a boost in the lower treble seems to really help on some recordings.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #959 of 3,209
Has anyone compared these to the LCD-X yet and if so how would you say they compare? I have recently tried the utopias and while I can see why most would see them as an amazing headphone I find that I much prefer a warmer planar sound. I am intrigued by the Ether 2 and what people have been saying about their sound signature and how smooth and detailed it is but also how their is a good bit more bass impact. Would love to hear opinions on this.

Dec 2, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #960 of 3,209
This morning has been a nice listening session with ETHER 2. I started off some Classical with a Christmas bent. I'm instantly impressed with the timbre of instruments and especially the speed and decay of complex passages. When the orchestra really digs in with dynamics, the e2 delivers the goods. This has reminded how well rounded ETHER 2 is with so many diverse genres of music. This was from a Classical Christmas 3cd set.

Then I cued up some smooth jazz..Andy Shepard/Espen Eriksen called Home. This is more of a smooth jazz piece and very well recorded. I noticed two things as I floated through the tracks with this one. One, the bass is simply stunning. So tight and extended that you can't help but smile as it exceeds your expectations. I've been down the full home speaker setup a few times before. The bass from e2 with these tracks reminds of two very good subs, expertly tuned in a well treated room. The next thing that jumped out at me was the tone of saxophone and subtle details coming from this instrument. I've played this instrument for 35 years, so I'm somewhat familiar with it. The piano sounds just as tonally natural as the sax. Piano is so hard to get right with tone.

Before I knew it a few hours had passed and it was time to take care of Sunday obligations. But it's enjoyment of listening sessions like this that I'm in this hobby.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back