ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Nov 23, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #886 of 3,209
Where The River Goes
by Wolfgang Muthspiel, Ambrose Akinmusire, Brad Mehldau, Larry Grenadier, Eric Harland
This a great new album to try out on the Ether2. It runs the gambit of testing out a HP.
Thanks — very nice listen.

Album review here: https://jazztrail.net/blog/2018/10/1/wolfgang-muthspiel-where-river-goes-album-review

Made me jump to Rising Grace, which also great.

And it turns out this is music I prefer from E2 vs Utopia. Too analytic on Utopia — loses the ‘flow’.

E2 pretty much a dead heat vs Auteur for this. Slightly more energy from Auteur, slightly smoother from E2. Auteur makes me pay a little more attention, while the sound washes over me from E2.

HEKv2 is well back as sound is just too smooth from them — about tied vs Utopia, although obviously from completely opposite ends.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #887 of 3,209
Thanks — very nice listen.

Album review here: https://jazztrail.net/blog/2018/10/1/wolfgang-muthspiel-where-river-goes-album-review

Made me jump to Rising Grace, which also great.

And it turns out this is music I prefer from E2 vs Utopia. Too analytic on Utopia — loses the ‘flow’.

E2 pretty much a dead heat vs Auteur for this. Slightly more energy from Auteur, slightly smoother from E2. Auteur makes me pay a little more attention, while the sound washes over me from E2.

HEKv2 is well back as sound is just too smooth from them — about tied vs Utopia, although obviously from completely opposite ends.
You are so right; Rising Grace is a great Album. You are also spot-on about the HEKv2. With that added smoothness you lose a lot of the delicate separation of the notes on both the piano and guitar.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #888 of 3,209
Nov 23, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #889 of 3,209
Giving this a go now with my newly arrived telefunken 7dj8s. Nice recommendation!

Are you using electro harmonix tubes? I tired those out again today, and they actually pair well with E2.
Could you let me know how those Telefunken sound? Really tempted to grab myself a pair as well.

Nov 23, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #890 of 3,209
I wish I had bought them from the start, would have been a lot cheaper. I am not the best at describing sound, but I will give it a go. Lots of space, great extension without being harsh, just effortless music reproduction. Bass seems perfect. It is the first tube that I have tried that pairs very well with my E2 and th900s. They even seem to tame the sibilance of the th900. Highly recommended.

Nov 24, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #892 of 3,209
Giving this a go now with my newly arrived telefunken 7dj8s. Nice recommendation!

Are you using electro harmonix tubes? I tired those out again today, and they actually pair well with E2.
I used the harmonix for about 2 weeks with the E2 before I got the Genalex Gold Lions.
The Harmonix paired well, but I think the Gold Lions are much better. They extend the bass and treble. They are more transparent. I have not had the opportunity to try the telefunken 7dj8s.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #893 of 3,209
I used the harmonix for about 2 weeks with the E2 before I got the Genalex Gold Lions.
The Harmonix paired well, but I think the Gold Lions are much better. They extend the bass and treble. They are more transparent. I have not had the opportunity to try the telefunken 7dj8s.

I need to audition the genalex gold lions again because my remembered impressions were with my th900. I just remember that it emphasized the bass, and was a no go with th900. It also seems impressions for that tube are all over the place with one site listing it as 4/5 bright, and others saying 'relaxed top end'. I tend to agree with you though, its probably v shaped and will not pair well with headphones that are already tuned that way. Too much of a good thing. Might be really good with E2, need to try it again!

That said, I spent all night with the telefunkens and they are great, but I think there is a better pairing for E2 out there. Because of this I am going to spend today with the Matsushita tubes I have. Of course I will need to burn them over time, but I am hoping that the telefunken and matsushitas will be my 1-2 punch for any headphone I might own.

Nov 24, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #894 of 3,209
I need to audition the genalex gold lions again because my remembered impressions were with my th900. I just remember that it emphasized the bass, and was a no go with th900. It also seems impressions for that tube are all over the place with one site listing it as 4/5 bright, and others saying 'relaxed top end'. I tend to agree with you though, its probably v shaped and will not pair well with headphones that are already tuned that way. Too much of a good thing. Might be really good with E2, need to try it again!

That said, I spent all night with the telefunkens and they are great, but I think there is a better pairing for E2 out there. Because of this I am going to spend today with the Matsu****a tubes I have. Of course I will need to burn them over time, but I am hoping that the telefunken and matsu****as will be my 1-2 punch for any headphone I might own.
Good luck on your journey.

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #895 of 3,209
Do you have any suggestions about DACs that pair well with ether 2? I guess something transparent/neutral goes well with it.
I heard that Dan hooked e2 to liquid platinum in an audio show, so I assume that liquid platinum would be a good pairing with e2.
Still searching for a good DAC. I guess I have to spend at least around 2k to hear notable difference, but something around 10k is out of reach at this time, probably until the stock markets go well again..

Nov 24, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #896 of 3,209
Do you have any suggestions about DACs that pair well with ether 2? I guess something transparent/neutral goes well with it.
I heard that Dan hooked e2 to liquid platinum in an audio show, so I assume that liquid platinum would be a good pairing with e2.
Still searching for a good DAC. I guess I have to spend at least around 2k to hear notable difference, but something around 10k is out of reach at this time, probably until the stock markets go well again..
I find a small difference in E2 sound from my 2 DACs. Pontus (especially in NOS mode) accentuates smoothness and warm tilt. Sonica adds a bit of detail and lifts the treble a hair. Depending on my mood and what I’m listening to, there are times for each of them. All through my Bryston amp.

Hoe that helps a little.

BTW ‘...notable difference...’ vs what?

Nov 24, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #897 of 3,209
I have the Liquid Platinum,also. The E2 pairs with it beautifully. Silky smooth with extended highs and lows.

Nov 24, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #898 of 3,209

That said, I spent all night with the telefunkens and they are great, but I think there is a better pairing for E2 out there. Because of this I am going to spend today with the Matsu****a tubes I have. Of course I will need to burn them over time, but I am hoping that the telefunken and matsu****as will be my 1-2 punch for any headphone I might own.
RE: ECM by Ricardo Villalobos, Max Loderbauer is an interesting Electronic album. The first track "Reblop" has some bass that you "feel" , as well as, hear. Very deep and physical. The E2 reproduces it clearly and precisely.

Nov 24, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #899 of 3,209
I find a small difference in E2 sound from my 2 DACs. Pontus (especially in NOS mode) accentuates smoothness and warm tilt. Sonica adds a bit of detail and lifts the treble a hair. Depending on my mood and what I’m listening to, there are times for each of them. All through my Bryston amp.

Hoe that helps a little.

BTW ‘...notable difference...’ vs what?

Thanks for your comparisons. I meant notable difference vs the Q5. It has slightly rolled-off treble with 2x ak4490 dac. I sold my Hugo 1 happily after I got it. I am thinking about getting a new DAC. Guessing some stretch should be made to hear 'notable' difference. Maybe not with e2. Don't know.

Nov 24, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #900 of 3,209
RE: ECM by Ricardo Villalobos, Max Loderbauer is an interesting Electronic album. The first track "Reblop" has some bass that you "feel" , as well as, hear. Very deep and physical. The E2 reproduces it clearly and precisely.
Taboo (Music From The Original TV Series) by Max Richter is a truly immersive album with the E2. Haunting lows and eerie highs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back