ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Oct 8, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #196 of 3,210
Fair enough then, I do completely support people commenting negatively on products if they have heard it. What I don't like is how a group of people can schiit all over a product they haven't even heard just because of who made it... Apologies if I came across a bit strong.

I have the same impression when I read the comments at the other forum. They really hate the Ether to the point that they seem to hate the brand.

I think the EFO/C are way way better than the HD 650. I have both. Now the E2 is a big question to me as I havent tried them. But I cant wait to get my hands on them

Oct 8, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #197 of 3,210
Can you add a little more to your impressions? I, for one, like to read negative impressions as well as positive ones. Just as we don't all like the same stuff, we don't all dislike the same stuff either. Knowing what you thought of it with a little more context would be very helpful.

Sure, starting from bottom to top:

The bass extended well, impact was soft and decayed instantly. It’s really weird and sounded too diffuse. It’s not as soft as my 007’s impact was, but it’s not too far off. The bass wasn’t as muddy as the Ether Flow’s but still wasn’t as clean as I’d expect for such an expensive headphone. The bass also sounded a bit overdamped in general. It’s something similar to what’s happened when I put too much rear damping on headphones I’ve modded.

Midrange for MrSpeakers stuff has always sounded unnatural for me but the Ether 2 is a step closer. It’s still not what I’d consider accurate timbrally. The upper midrange had some harshness around 4-5k and ~1k. I also heard a bit of a dip at around 3kHz that added depth.

The mid treble was a bit too harsh for me, but I’m pretty sensitive to mid treble. Extension was decent and relatively airy.

It wouldn’t be my pick of the show honestly. I thought the Arya sounded more accurate, but I’d have to compare them back to back with these to see which is better at detail retrieval.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #199 of 3,210
I wouldn't let them touch the gear at the show, take a few sets of handcuffs and tell them you listen with your ears not your hands, half these ppl don't even buy the products.Can I also add when it comes to shows do any headphone companies ever try sound proofed booths or some kind of sound deadening so you can hear how good the products are,hi-fi shows perfect for sound cancelling headphones but far from ideal for open back headphones

They could use Framery, or similar, booths that are made for loud offices, etc.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #200 of 3,210
Sure, starting from bottom to top:

The bass extended well, impact was soft and decayed instantly. It’s really weird and sounded too diffuse. It’s not as soft as my 007’s impact was, but it’s not too far off. The bass wasn’t as muddy as the Ether Flow’s but still wasn’t as clean as I’d expect for such an expensive headphone. The bass also sounded a bit overdamped in general. It’s something similar to what’s happened when I put too much rear damping on headphones I’ve modded.

Midrange for MrSpeakers stuff has always sounded unnatural for me but the Ether 2 is a step closer. It’s still not what I’d consider accurate timbrally. The upper midrange had some harshness around 4-5k and ~1k. I also heard a bit of a dip at around 3kHz that added depth.

The mid treble was a bit too harsh for me, but I’m pretty sensitive to mid treble. Extension was decent and relatively airy.

It wouldn’t be my pick of the show honestly. I thought the Arya sounded more accurate, but I’d have to compare them back to back with these to see which is better at detail retrieval.

II know they are very different beasts but how would you compare them with the T5p?

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #201 of 3,210
The ear pads use an adhesive mounting and are replaceable. They can be removed and replaced a few times but excessive removal will ultimately wear out the adhesive. They are made with the same Japanese synthetic leather we use on our AEONs, which we think is the finest on the market. It's good enough that most people think its lamb-leather, but it allows our pads to be more consistent in dimensions and texture than leather.
Thank you for your honest answer, as always. I just wish they were lamb leather as that's my favourite. Any idea if you plan to manufacture, similar ear pads from various materials that will fit?

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #202 of 3,210
Just spoke to a UK dealer who went to RMAF and he said at least 4 weeks and it should work out at around £1900. Looking forward to giving these a try myself.

Oct 9, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #204 of 3,210
II know they are very different beasts but how would you compare them with the T5p?

The T5p has more bass impact but it’s looser. The midrange is even further from neutral with a huge 5k spike and off timbre in general. The treble also needs a lot of refinement. There’s a pretty good reason that they’ve dropped in price so much. The Ether 2 is easily a good bit better, but frankly, most headphones are.

Did anyone compare the Ether 2 directly with the Empyrean at RMAF? I am sure , that both will sound very good and are extremely comfortable for long lasting sessions.

I didn’t compare back to back, but I did use both within a few minutes of each other. I was disappointed by the Empyrean. They had noticeable bass roll off, super nasal mids, and way more dipped 3kHz that made mids sound quite distant. I was really excited to hear them but I didn’t think they justify even a tenth of the price tag.

Oct 9, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #205 of 3,210
The T5p has more bass impact but it’s looser. The midrange is even further from neutral with a huge 5k spike and off timbre in general. The treble also needs a lot of refinement. There’s a pretty good reason that they’ve dropped in price so much. The Ether 2 is easily a good bit better, but frankly, most headphones are.
/QUOTE]

Are you referring to the T5P 2gen or first?

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #206 of 3,210

Interesting thanks, I use my T5p at work in a loud office so having thumping bass is quite useful and it was less than half the RRP, as you say they have dropped in price massively. Good comparison though as it is a headphone we both have as a reference.

Out of interest if you could have any headphone at $2000 or less what would it be?

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #207 of 3,210
Interesting thanks, I use my T5p at work in a loud office so having thumping bass is quite useful and it was less than half the RRP, as you say they have dropped in price massively. Good comparison though as it is a headphone we both have as a reference.

Out of interest if you could have any headphone at $2000 or less what would it be?

My pick would probably be the HE-6 and a speaker amp. If it were my money though, I'd probably wait for a used Utopia since I've been seeing them approach $2,000. As far as new goes, I was really impressed with the Arya for the price. The Fostex TH909 was better than I expected it to be considering I didn't like the TH900 at all. The ZMF Verite was also quite promising but it's obviously a bit more than $2,000.

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #209 of 3,210
REALLY looking forward for some more in-depth reviews. As far as posted here on head-fi, the Ether 2 is everything and the opposite of it too. I'd love such light headphones for desktop listening, but it's impossible to get an impression regarding the statements that are already made..

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #210 of 3,210
REALLY looking forward for some more in-depth reviews. As far as posted here on head-fi, the Ether 2 is everything and the opposite of it too. I'd love such light headphones for desktop listening, but it's impossible to get an impression regarding the statements that are already made..
For me it's an advantage the Ether 2 is light but let's face it, if we could find the perfect headphone and had to wear a neck collar to listen to it I would still buy it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back