ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Oct 4, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #46 of 3,210
I will definitely give some impressions once I get to demo one! I have to resist the urge to use my new credit card lol...

Oct 4, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #48 of 3,210
Colour me interested. Not buying any new headphone for a while, but these (and the probable closed-back version) are near the top of my list.

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #49 of 3,210
What does this mean from the previous page talking about cables it's confused me: "Because planars are in effect a pure resistor, the response is independent of the source and cable resistance". How can any headphone's response be independent from the source feeding it planar or not? Unless i've misunderstood?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #50 of 3,210
What does this mean from the previous page talking about cables it's confused me: "Because planars are in effect a pure resistor, the response is independent of the source and cable resistance". How can any headphone's response be independent from the source feeding it planar or not? Unless i've misunderstood?

If the impedance of the transducer is not flat in the frequency range (i.e. impedance curve from 20Hz to 20000Hz), which is common for dynamic drivers or more so in multiple BA drivers, output impedance of the amp greatly affects the frequency curve of the transducer. Like some high output impedance amp makes some headphone bass heavy than that by other amps.
And the ETHER having flat impedance curve (within frequency range), resulting frequency curve is less affected by variance of the amps.

Oct 4, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #55 of 3,210
If there is ever a closed Ether 2, my wallet will be ready.

Oct 4, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #59 of 3,210

If anyone has product questions I'll be on and off most of the day. Happy to answer what I can...

Dan, can I ask you what the sensitivity is for Ether 2? I'm not worried about how hard they would be to drive, but rather having too much gain (and therefore too little volume control) on a high gain tube amp.

My current Ether is right on the line as it is. More sensitive is usually a good thing, but ironically in this case it isn't for me.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #60 of 3,210
How about some FR graph compared to Ether Flow? I have been hyped since yesterday, but I just realized that I haven't seen a graph yet to get an educated guess of how it sounds like. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back