ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Oct 3, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #16 of 3,207
Fanboys sticking their heads up manufacturers asses.... always amusing. Oops, I meant to say asinine.

Well compared to every other planar magnetic producer Mr. Speakers is far more deserving.

Less driver failures than Audeze and Hifiman, lower weight than Audeze, better build construction than Hifiman, equal or better product support to both, vastly superior upgrade support than Hifiman (ethers were not rendered immediately redundant by the ether flows, flow 1.1 upgrade is user installable to all flow headphones) and the fact that it is $1k-3k cheaper than its direct flagship competition....

I dont have a problem with my super budget build HE500s but comparing weight and build quality there's no competition.
There's a summit-fi thread dedicated to tracking LCD3 driver failures and that's still a more expensive AND heavier headphone.

Lastly, Abyss phi 1266 cc. $5k for a torture device that needs a speaker amp to drive it...

Oct 3, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #17 of 3,207
I imagine a closed version will come out later

Oct 3, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #18 of 3,207
Following this thread to see if a lot of Ether Flow owners would upgrade to the new Ether 2.

Oct 3, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #19 of 3,207
Following this thread to see if a lot of Ether Flow owners would upgrade to the new Ether 2.

I think the crazy low weight on the 2's will encourage that. Headphones have been getting better and better (and more expensive) for years but I've always thought the first really light weight headphone from a TOTL company would be a huge seller. I guess we'll see.

Oct 3, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #20 of 3,207
I think the crazy low weight on the 2's will encourage that. Headphones have been getting better and better (and more expensive) for years but I've always thought the first really light weight headphone from a TOTL company would be a huge seller. I guess we'll see.

I sort of agree. While Ether C Flow is comfortable than most other headphones, I always wish it was lighter, as I wear it long hours while I work. HD800S (350g) was the most comfortable among others in my book.
280g is crazy light I never heard before.

Oct 3, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #22 of 3,207

Im not so sure about the weight for my personal preferences the Ether Flow is already light.
Maybe sound quality between the EFO and E2 would be a major factor. Will it be worth the upgrade?

1. Weight - neutral
2. Looks and build quality - yes
3. Sound quality - i dont know yet.

If I find the sound quality really really good, like what Jude mentioned on his RMAF video where the E2 reminds him of the the Stax 007, then yeah its worth it for me.

But of course Im a wait and see kind of guy. See how many current EFO owner would upgrade (minus the fanboys)

Oct 3, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #23 of 3,207
I feel like Mr. Speakers charges less than other boutique or small business headphones companies. I'm interested in picking up the Ether 2, especially based on early impressions, but avoided them in the past since the sound lacked body on headphones that i demo'ed.

Oct 3, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #25 of 3,207
Will this be debuted at RMAF?
Hi everyone! We'll have 10 ETHER 2s at the show. Check them out in our booth 64.65, our quiet(er) room 538, and at Chord Audio, Ampsandsound, WooAudio, and others. And the price is lower than I think people expected, $1,999.99.

Oct 3, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #26 of 3,207
I have owned three sets of Audeze headphones, lcd-2/lcd-2c and lcd-3. There is plenty to complain about.

I understand but I've never had a problem and I've owned more than that.

Every manufacturer has hiccups, including Hifiman, Audeze, Focal, Sennheiser, and... Mr Speakers.

Just trying to bring to light that nobody is perfect and it's a matter of opinion on which cans are your favorite and which sound the best TO YOU.

All of our ears are different as well as our taste in what we like in a headphone.

We appreciate your post on the Ether 2 Matt.

Don't take our comments the wrong way... This forum is for fun mainly and there's always a few folks with an agenda on here because there's $$$ involved. I'm not saying that's you but you get what I'm hinting at.

Luckily, we're all consumers in a capitalism-based country where we have plenty of choices on what we choose to spend our cash on...

Happy listening!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #27 of 3,207
I feel like a lot people don't understand the R&D costs and other expenses required to make a new headphone from scratch while still turning a profit in order to fund further growth. Places like MrSpeakers and ZMF are small boutique shops. They are not multi-million dollar companies like Focal or Sennheiser. Yet they are still cheaper than a lot of the competition. (Utopia - $4k, LCD4 - $4k, HEK - $3k, Susvara - $6k.)

Does it suck it's not cheaper? Sure, but it is understandable and reasonable once you understand a little bit of the business/financial side of it. Nobody is forcing you to buy $2k headphones to get good sound. The budget minded consumer has more options today than they ever have in order to get excellent sound, big money not required. Hell, my hd580 probably gets 30% of my head time despite owning an HD800 and Auteur.

+1

Well said.

Oct 3, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #28 of 3,207
Ether 2-009.jpg

Will this be debuted at RMAF?

Absolutely!

If anyone has product questions I'll be on and off most of the day. Happy to answer what I can...

And in a bit of shameless merchandising, here's a photo of the new VIVO cable, I hope people really enjoy this cable. this is no re-branded cable, we spent a year developing it and it's 100% fully custom.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 0
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 3, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #30 of 3,207
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back