ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Oct 5, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #2,941 of 3,211
Ether 2 getting too much head time

C346BDC7-430D-4690-A97F-48BF6FB6FBF2.jpeg 2787E68C-C978-4807-ABE2-893595F02BC8.jpeg

Ordered replacement OG pads, and also perforated pads. I’d been interested in pad swaps for a while, but didn’t notice how much these had deteriorated until yesterday — I mostly use them at night w/ lights off.

I’m really looking forward to hearing an alternative sound from these.
Fellow Ether 2 fan, rare in these parts :)

How do you like them compared to the HEKse?

Oct 5, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #2,942 of 3,211
I bought my Ether 2 pre-owned about a month or so ago. It came with perfect condition perforated pads installed. Also came with two sets of original pads, one set brand new and one that I assume was on them when shipped, but in like new condition. That said, if somebody has a set of suedes they would like to trade for the original pads I'd consider that. That way I'd have one set of each kind. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM

Oct 6, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #2,943 of 3,211
Hi all. Hope you are doing ok in this current climate. I would like some advice on my set up with Ether 2. My current desktop set up is iMac -> Musician Pegasus R2R -> Violectric v220 -> Ether 2 with suede pads. I love the bass and resolution. However, I listen to mostly metal (and some jazz) and the sound starts to get fatiguing after 15-30 minutes.

I love both my portable set ups. The ultraportable is Earsonics Purple with AK SP1000M and somewhat portable is XDuoo x10Tii to Chord Mojo with 64 Audio Tia Trio with Penon Totem cable (which is my favourite sound signature - lush bass and mids with sparkling but non fatiguing highs)

Any advice is welcome. I have considered swapping the DAC and amp for Sony WM1z but unsure.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #2,944 of 3,211
Hi all. Hope you are doing ok in this current climate. I would like some advice on my set up with Ether 2. My current desktop set up is iMac -> Musician Pegasus R2R -> Violectric v220 -> Ether 2 with suede pads. I love the bass and resolution. However, I listen to mostly metal (and some jazz) and the sound starts to get fatiguing after 15-30 minutes.

I love both my portable set ups. The ultraportable is Earsonics Purple with AK SP1000M and somewhat portable is XDuoo x10Tii to Chord Mojo with 64 Audio Tia Trio with Penon Totem cable (which is my favourite sound signature - lush bass and mids with sparkling but non fatiguing highs)

Any advice is welcome. I have considered swapping the DAC and amp for Sony WM1z but unsure.
Have you tried the Ethers out of the Mojo? If that is not fatiguing then I would look at a new desktop dac.

Oct 6, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #2,946 of 3,211
I haven't as I was not sure if the mojo would be able to drive it properly (and the hassle of finding a 3,5mm cable)
I just tried this myself, as I usually listen to Noire’s with Mojo. I had to get XLR/3.5 and 3,5/2,5 adapters, but Mojo works great and it sounds fantastic, even close to mTT2! The Ethers are easier to drive than the Noire.

Oct 6, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #2,947 of 3,211
Fellow Ether 2 fan, rare in these parts :)

How do you like them compared to the HEKse?
I enjoy them both. I previously owned HEKv2 and EFO 1.1

To my ears, the HEK is brighter and more detailed, but both seem pretty linear in terms of frequency response — I don’t hear significant dips or humps from either, except that the last octave seems a little rolled off from E2.

And that results in the Ether 2 sound being better for night time listening, when I don’t want anything too demanding.

I really enjoy the headstage from both.

The bottom line is that I don’t hear them as very different, and enjoy them both very much.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #2,950 of 3,211
... Ordered replacement OG pads, and also perforated pads ...
Well, they're here.

Can anybody tell me how many times the pads can be swapped before they lose their stickiness? And is there 'replacement stickiness' which can be used if that happens?

I'm looking forward to comparing the sound of the two pad sets, but don't want to swap to the point where they no longer stay attached.

Thanks!

Oct 11, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #2,951 of 3,211
Well, they're here.

Can anybody tell me how many times the pads can be swapped before they lose their stickiness? And is there 'replacement stickiness' which can be used if that happens?

I'm looking forward to comparing the sound of the two pad sets, but don't want to swap to the point where they no longer stay attached.

Thanks!
Sorry if this is ignorant but what does OG stand for when you describe the pads that came with the headphones? As I mentioned above I have 2 extra sets of them. One is new and one slightly used. I'd like to try the suede but can't see paying $90 on a gamble like that. If nobody has any to trade maybe we could temporarily exchange pairs just to try out. Couldn't cost much to ship these almost lighter than air items

Oct 11, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #2,952 of 3,211
Sorry if this is ignorant but what does OG stand for when you describe the pads that came with the headphones? As I mentioned above I have 2 extra sets of them. One is new and one slightly used. I'd like to try the suede but can't see paying $90 on a gamble like that. If nobody has any to trade maybe we could temporarily exchange pairs just to try out. Couldn't cost much to ship these almost lighter than air items
Sorry, OG was an attempt to refer to the original/stock pads.

I guess it's really 'old guy' ... which is me :)

Also sorry, I didn't get the suede pads.

Oct 13, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #2,954 of 3,211
... Can anybody tell me how many times the pads can be swapped before they lose their stickiness? And is there 'replacement stickiness' which can be used if that happens? ...
Found answer in this post from Dan:

When the pad loses tack wipe it with a little alcohol. We have units that have been in use for production testing that have lasted over a year of frequent removals. My personal set has survived multiple trade shows with frequent demos

Meanwhile ...
... Ordered replacement OG pads, and also perforated pads.
I’m really looking forward to hearing an alternative sound from these.
Turns out I like the perforated pads. Put them on last night and have kept them on tonight. I probably won't compare them to the stock pads until the weekend.

But so far, my ears like what they're hearing. They think that the highs are lifted just a bit compared to stock. Listening to this chain:

Digione Signature ==> mScaler ==> TT2 ==> (XLR out, DAC mode) Hattor passive preamp ==> DSHA-3F | Liquid Platinum ==> Ether 2

One question though ...

How long does it take for these new pads to burn in?

Oct 13, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #2,955 of 3,211
Found answer in this post from Dan:

When the pad loses tack wipe it with a little alcohol. We have units that have been in use for production testing that have lasted over a year of frequent removals. My personal set has survived multiple trade shows with frequent demos

Meanwhile ...

Turns out I like the perforated pads. Put them on last night and have kept them on tonight. I probably won't compare them to the stock pads until the weekend.

But so far, my ears like what they're hearing. They think that the highs are lifted just a bit compared to stock. Listening to this chain:

Digione Signature ==> mScaler ==> TT2 ==> (XLR out, DAC mode) Hattor passive preamp ==> DSHA-3F | Liquid Platinum ==> Ether 2

One question though ...

How long does it take for these new pads to burn in?
Do you have a lighter? 🔥

Users who are viewing this thread

Back