ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Feb 26, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #2,836 of 3,210
Quick question. Is a new pair of Ether 2's typically packaged in a sealed box wrapped in cellophane, or is the box unsealed? Just trying to determine if I received a new or used pair.
I don't remember a seal on any of their headphones.

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #2,839 of 3,210
Quick question. Is a new pair of Ether 2's typically packaged in a sealed box wrapped in cellophane, or is the box unsealed? Just trying to determine if I received a new or used pair.
I don't believe any of my DCA/MrSpeakers headphones have ever came wrapped in cellophane. Just plain unassuming black boxes (which is fine by me).

Mar 1, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #2,840 of 3,210
We don't plastic wrap the boxes as we try to minimize use of plastics in our products and processes.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 1, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #2,841 of 3,210
While my Ether 2 are not yet fully broken in, my initial impression is rather unexpected. These are far more warm and dark than I expected. Far from the "slightly warmer than neutral" signature the review generally indicate. Would switching to the perforated pads give these a more neutral sound? What about the Voce pads? Anyone try those on the Ether 2?

Mar 1, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #2,842 of 3,210
While my Ether 2 are not yet fully broken in, my initial impression is rather unexpected. These are far more warm and dark than I expected. Far from the "slightly warmer than neutral" signature the review generally indicate. Would switching to the perforated pads give these a more neutral sound? What about the Voce pads? Anyone try those on the Ether 2?
You won’t completely get rid of the warmth by switching pads. Part of the reason is the Ether 2’s are tuned that way. Switching to the perforated pads does open up the sound and let more details and clarity through. Pairing the Ether 2’s with neutral to bright sources also helps.

Mar 1, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #2,844 of 3,210
Perforated pads do open up the sound if you found it too dark. I don't think you can use Voce pads, unless you are willing to modify it.

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #2,845 of 3,210
Perforated pads do open up the sound if you found it too dark. I don't think you can use Voce pads, unless you are willing to modify it.

Sounds like the perforated are worth a try. The DCA web site says the Voce pads will fit Ether 2, but doesn't suggest any specific sound signature. I was hoping someone here had tried them.

These really are not at all as expected. Very warm. Rather veiled too. I'm currently using an SMSL THX amp, which is definitely not a warm sounding amp!

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #2,846 of 3,210
Sounds like the perforated are worth a try. The DCA web site says the Voce pads will fit Ether 2, but doesn't suggest any specific sound signature. I was hoping someone here had tried them.

These really are not at all as expected. Very warm. Rather veiled too. I'm currently using an SMSL THX amp, which is definitely not a warm sounding amp!
I’ve had my ether 2 for a year, during that time I’ve been “improving” my chain and as I do, I hear more of the magic that was always in the recording. So I tend to think it was my chain that was veiled, even though it cost a fortune.
My latest change was to use a matrix spdif to reclock the signal, and this had really allowed the different layers of the track to come through, all playing in unison on e2, it’s amazing to be honest.
I suppose I’m just talking about my own recent experiences then your issue :)
I suppose if you’re hearing less on your ether 2 then you are from your other headphones, then that’s a bummer.

Mar 2, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #2,847 of 3,210

Probably need clarification, but I think they meant the other Ether which don't use adhesive pads. The Ether 2 used (reuseable) adhesive to mount the pads.

Mar 2, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #2,848 of 3,210
I’ve had my ether 2 for a year, during that time I’ve been “improving” my chain and as I do, I hear more of the magic that was always in the recording. So I tend to think it was my chain that was veiled, even though it cost a fortune.
My latest change was to use a matrix spdif to reclock the signal, and this had really allowed the different layers of the track to come through, all playing in unison on e2, it’s amazing to be honest.
I suppose I’m just talking about my own recent experiences then your issue :)
I suppose if you’re hearing less on your ether 2 then you are from your other headphones, then that’s a bummer.
I think you’re on to something because the whole chain does have a direct result on the end sound. I recently added a OPTO-DX between my TT2/HMS and the difference it makes is immediately heard. Music is so clear, precise, defined, and organized. The notes have weight, instrument separation is phenomenal, the music is airy and spacious, the bass is taunt, the midrange is more nuanced, and the treble has incredible clarity. Everything sounds so transparent and resolution is off the charts. Music has more depth and insight to it. Much more than what the HMS was adding on its own.

Listening to the Ether 2’s now really shows off their capabilities. The Ether 2’s tone is beautifully rendered without restriction. Bass hits with serious impact, but it’s the bass texture, definition, and layering that‘s impressive. The midrange and treble of the Ether 2’s also benefits from the performance of having the OPTO-DX in my system. The mids are richer, clearer, and the sound on the whole is full-bodied but very detailed with amazing clarity throughout the entire frequency spectrum.

Hearing the Ether 2’s without any RF noise makes music sounds so revealing, alive, and dynamic. Of course, all of my headphones benefit from this tweak, but the Ether 2’s are even more impressive now.

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #2,849 of 3,210
Got my set of perforated earpads last night and mounted them this morning. There's no denying the comfort and sound of the suede pads, which I really like. After a short listening session to the Ether 2's with the perforated pads all I can say is this is the sound signature for me. The sound is much more lively and detailed than with suede pads. The perforated pads go a long way to let some of those missing treble frequencies through, which was my biggest gripe with the Ether 2's. Not anymore, the Ether 2's sound absolutely sublime with the perforated pads.

I have now also switched from the standard pads to the perforated ones. And I must say, it speaks to me more. It is clearer everything and somehow, the small veiled I felt is gone. Are much better tuned now.
Hadn't known a pad change could make such a significant difference.
(Only unfortunately I have when changing the pads the standard pads easily torn. That annoys me!)

@mrspeakers
Good job Dan.

I fully agree with slim1970.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #2,850 of 3,210
I have now also switched from the standard pads to the perforated ones. And I must say, it speaks to me more. It is clearer everything and somehow, the small veiled I felt is gone. Are much better tuned now.
Hadn't known a pad change could make such a significant difference.
(Only unfortunately I have when changing the pads the standard pads easily torn. That annoys me!)

@mrspeakers
Good job Dan.

I fully agree with slim1970.
Nice, glad to see you are enjoying the Ether 2's now. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back