ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
May 6, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #2,041 of 3,210
I’ve been listening to my ETHER 2 almost nonstop since I first got mine in our office last month. Brilliant sound, love the tuning. Only complaint is they are very tight against my ears (I have a huge head). The suspension wings on the Empyrean are great for big-headed people like me. But I can still say without a doubt that the ETHER 2 are the best planar magnetics on the market under two grand at this point.
The sound is exemplary. They were tight on my head for a while, also. Either the HPs broke in or my head did: no more problems.

May 6, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #2,042 of 3,210
This is what made the LCD-2 wearable for me. There are sensitive bones behind the ears and shifting the clamp force more onto your cheeks seems to take pressure off of them.

I also find it improves the sound too. Given the location of your ear canal relative to the ear lobe this headphone positioning actually results in the driver being centered more directly over the canal opening.
Also found these observations to be accurate.

May 6, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #2,043 of 3,210
New ear pads reduce pressure, it's simple math. Larger ear hole = larger contact area = less pressure per square area.
"Simple math" he says...
mathjokes-obtuseangles.jpg

May 6, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #2,045 of 3,210
I don't understand Dan's logic here. If there's a larger ear hole that surely means there's less padding in contact with your head and therefore more pressure per sq inch?

I'm not going to go into full details, no time, but it's simple. 100% of the pad does not contact on your head, almost universally due to the curve of the skull the primary contact is the circumference around the ear. The larger the circumference the larger the contact area. Think of putting the pad on a ball and assuming the full pad does not compress to make 100% contact. Other than that, take my word for it. :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 6, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #2,046 of 3,210
I understand. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

And again, I'm sorry to have focussed on the one thing that has, for me, been a negative. With careful placement (forward and up) they're already starting to feel more comfortable and fingers crossed that the new pads will provide the real comfort that you would expect given the remarkably light weight of these cans.

May 6, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #2,047 of 3,210
I understand. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

And again, I'm sorry to have focussed on the one thing that has, for me, been a negative. With careful placement (forward and up) they're already starting to feel more comfortable and fingers crossed that the new pads will provide the real comfort that you would expect given the remarkably light weight of these cans.

No worries. You can also "rotate" the headphone so the headband rests a bit further forward, that moves the "point" of the ear hole further back, which can be more comfy for people with a bigger bone protrusion below the ear.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 6, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #2,049 of 3,210
Does anyone find a more than subtle difference when using the Ether 2 with a single vs balanced cable?

May 7, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #2,050 of 3,210
Does anyone find a more than subtle difference when using the Ether 2 with a single vs balanced cable?

The E2's generally like more power the better, so a balanced cable will give you more juice over a SE cable. Other than that, it all depends on what amp you're using.

May 7, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #2,052 of 3,210
May 8, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #2,053 of 3,210
After the pads arrive and I figure out how they sound with my basic Burson Fun amp (w/ V6 Vivid and Sparko opamps) and Garage 1217 hybrid amp. I may look into trying the Cavelli LP and the Schiit MJ2 to perhaps move up a bit in SQ with the E2's.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #2,055 of 3,210
I think that I've said this before, but I'll say it again: these headphones are surprisingly good for gaming.

Have to agree with you - as of now i am liking them more than my HE1000 in games, still comparing them to my heavily modified HD800.

And by the way, i have them for four days now and am liking them a lot. The question now is which other cans have to go. :)

Can anybody compare the other pads to Dekoni Hybrid pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back