ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
May 11, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #2,071 of 3,211
I take his reviews with a grain of salt....he thought the IFI Micro DSD BL is better than Chord.....he seems to hype everything up, definitely not Tyll from innfidelity nor very objective in what he does. I honestly thought Josh Velour reviews are better, its not 30 min long, seems like his review is subjective and objective.
In my opinion the Micro BL and Mojo are on pretty much on the same level when you look at sound quality only. Some folks prefer this, some prefer that. I like the Mojo a little more. The main differences are a thicker texture on the BL, especially the bass. The BL's soundstage is wider but not as deep or 3D-like like the Mojo. Mojo also has a more natural and lifelike sound. A few years ago I actually compared them in a review. I said the BL is like a sound system in a cinema: fun, thick, bassy sound. Mojo sounds more like reality.

(While both can probably drive the E2 loud enough, I would definitely go for full desktop gear with them. These portable devices do a decent job for the price but regardless power output a full desktop gear just sounds better.)

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #2,072 of 3,211
HI all, didn't realise this thread was here, got my E2's a couple of weeks ago to go with the QP1R, got a fair collection of FLAC files i listen to as well as the 320's. Guess whatever i say about these cans has already been said in these 139 pages and I WILL be scrolling through them.
I've currently got them hooked up to the WA7 Fireflies and am very impressed with every listening session, some tunes utterly stop me in my tracks......revealing so much i can never go back.
Anyway got the Woo Audio WA7TP tube power supply (replacing the solid power block) hopefully arriving next week with a couple of Siemens NOS 1965 ECC82=12AU7 tubes i'm going to roll in....i'm having such a blast with this set-up its not funny.

May 11, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #2,075 of 3,211
the ifi BL has perhaps the most powerful amp section of any portable option....it is actually good to use as an external amp with the hugo 2 if you have hard to drive HP's ......

there is a slight bass boost (not talking about the xtra bass knob and I cant remember if this is the internal DAC or AMP that is causing that) that I dont particular like, but yes lots of power, I think thats the selling point.
In my opinion the Micro BL and Mojo are on pretty much on the same level when you look at sound quality only. Some folks prefer this, some prefer that. I like the Mojo a little more. The main differences are a thicker texture on the BL, especially the bass. The BL's soundstage is wider but not as deep or 3D-like like the Mojo. Mojo also has a more natural and lifelike sound. A few years ago I actually compared them in a review. I said the BL is like a sound system in a cinema: fun, thick, bassy sound. Mojo sounds more like reality.

(While both can probably drive the E2 loud enough, I would definitely go for full desktop gear with them. These portable devices do a decent job for the price but regardless power output a full desktop gear just sounds better.)

well I guess there is a huge difference between HUGo 1 and Mojo then. I owned the IfI for a week and thought its nothing special, it is cheap, but I can see why its cheap.

May 11, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #2,076 of 3,211
For me, the comfort issue with the stock pads has resolved itself to an ideal conclusion. Initially they were too uncomfortable: it was bad enough that within the first hour or two of getting them, I was thinking of selling them. The clamp force was too much for my jaw and the headband felt too tight on my head. But after some time, I implemented the suggestion of wearing the cups lower on my head (which has no significant impact on sound signature). I don't know if it was this, pad burn-in making the pads softer, brain burn-in, or some combination...but these are now among the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. So for anyone with comfort concerns, I suggest implementing this suggestion and giving them some time.
Somtimes these things are also just a matter of body acclimation. The new phones might be producing slightly different pressure points than what you were used to and your body needed to adapt.

I find the first month of owning literally anything new that I sit on or wear (besides regular clothes) is rough until my body gets used to the new thing. Chairs, glasses....... headphones. :) There is always that initial feeling of panic that I bought the wrong thing, then it goes away in time. My original Ether was like this. I was so frustrated that they were painful to wear despite the light clamp force and low weight compared to the LCD-2. Now I put them on and they disappear. It just took time and patience.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #2,077 of 3,211
I think a good portion of the clamp force that new owners or auditioners experience is due to the low profile, yet firmer foam ear pads. I’d imagine they are there to keep weight down and form factor minimal and that is the sacrifice that is made to achieve the outcome. However, once you wear them for a couple weeks the foam breaks in and the clamp is non existent.

Also, the wearing suggestions (extra give on suspension strap, band forward on top of head, ears touching back of ear holes) also helps a lot.

I absolutely love these headphones. I picked up an M Scaler this week and the Ether 2s just keep showing me that they have more left in the tank Than I realized.

May 12, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #2,078 of 3,211
Hey guys just wanted to share this here for anyone trying to decide whether or not to get the Ether 2. I have owned the Audeze LCD-X, LCD-MX4, and now the LCD-4 along with some other planars. I thought the $4000 LCD-4 was the best planar on the planet when I got it. I actually had the Focal Utopia at the time and eventually sold that because I just liked the LCD-4 better. I had the Ether 2 for a while after it first came out and loved it to death but ultimately sold it to audition more headphones. I recently decided to get the E2's again as a secondary planar to the 4. To make a long story short I decided to sell the LCD-4's after going back and forth between the two over and over again trying to find some reason the 4 cost twice as much. I couldn't come up with any reasons, in fact I felt the E2 may have been more enjoyable overall.

I was a bit disappointed in Audeze after this. At the same time I was just crazy impressed with Dan Clark and this creation. I mean unless I got a factory freak that just sounds better than the rest which I doubt since Clark and team are pretty particular about their cans being properly measured across the board. I gotta say don't waste your time with paying double for the higher end Audeze's When you can get this and enjoy it just as much if not more. Thats a statement I never thought I would make having been a huge Audeze fanboy for so long. But thats what my ears hear.

Anyway thats my two cents save yourself some money and get the Ether 2.

May 12, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #2,079 of 3,211
I think a good portion of the clamp force that new owners or auditioners experience is due to the low profile, yet firmer foam ear pads. I’d imagine they are there to keep weight down and form factor minimal and that is the sacrifice that is made to achieve the outcome. However, once you wear them for a couple weeks the foam breaks in and the clamp is non existent.

Also, the wearing suggestions (extra give on suspension strap, band forward on top of head, ears touching back of ear holes) also helps a lot.

I absolutely love these headphones. I picked up an M Scaler this week and the Ether 2s just keep showing me that they have more left in the tank Than I realized.

I rather it weight another 200g tbh...I never had problem with Ether C or Alpha clamping force. they were heavier, but never uncomfortable even on a 10 hours listening session.

May 12, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #2,080 of 3,211
Hey guys just wanted to share this here for anyone trying to decide whether or not to get the Ether 2. I have owned the Audeze LCD-X, LCD-MX4, and now the LCD-4 along with some other planars. I thought the $4000 LCD-4 was the best planar on the planet when I got it. I actually had the Focal Utopia at the time and eventually sold that because I just liked the LCD-4 better. I had the Ether 2 for a while after it first came out and loved it to death but ultimately sold it to audition more headphones. I recently decided to get the E2's again as a secondary planar to the 4. To make a long story short I decided to sell the LCD-4's after going back and forth between the two over and over again trying to find some reason the 4 cost twice as much. I couldn't come up with any reasons, in fact I felt the E2 may have been more enjoyable overall.

I was a bit disappointed in Audeze after this. At the same time I was just crazy impressed with Dan Clark and this creation. I mean unless I got a factory freak that just sounds better than the rest which I doubt since Clark and team are pretty particular about their cans being properly measured across the board. I gotta say don't waste your time with paying double for the higher end Audeze's When you can get this and enjoy it just as much if not more. Thats a statement I never thought I would make having been a huge Audeze fanboy for so long. But thats what my ears hear.

Anyway thats my two cents save yourself some money and get the Ether 2.
For me, Mr Speakers is the best value in high end headphones. I, too, have recently been going between the LCD-4 and the Ether2. To my ears, these two HPs are my favorite "smooth" presentation HPs. The Ether2s are easier to listen to for extended periods. So sweet and accurate.

May 12, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #2,081 of 3,211
The Ether 2 feels really comfortable when I'm sitting at my desk, but when I use them as a portable the clamping force starts to become an issue for me.

May 13, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #2,084 of 3,211
So, has anyone get their earpads order shipped yet?

May 13, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #2,085 of 3,211
The only cables that I never felt the need to upgrade are the new LCD series cable and now the Ether 2 cable.. I'm going to be praising this headphone a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back