ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Feb 19, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #1,502 of 3,212
Here is my review of the Ether 2. But let me clear the air first. My first foray into Mr. Speakers didn’t go well. I was very disappointed with my first unit because it sounded bland, over-damped, and very mid bass anemic. But it turned out to be defective. So I now have my second Ether 2, and it is working perfectly and definitely not defective. So here are my sound impressions now that I have been able to hear these the way they’re supposed to sound.

The most important frequency range for me to get right is the treble. I have very sensitive ears to elevated treble. The Ether 2 is the treble that I’ve always wanted. The treble is just perfect for my ears. It is extended, but not elevated. It is detailed and resolving, but never harsh or bright. I don’t do bright. I’m so tired of having to turn down the volume with TOTL headphones because they artificially jack up the treble to give the illusion of greater detail retrieval. That doesn’t happen with the Ether 2. With the Ether 2, I find myself turning up the volume. It’s all there, but it doesn’t mule kick you in the temple and force you to hear it. The treble on the Ether 2, to my ears, is a 10/10. I’d change nothing.

All I ask of my mids is to not be recessed or too forward. The Ether 2 mids sit exactly where I want them. I’d call them mostly linear to slightly forward. Perfect. There’s not much else to say. Vocals are front and center and always in front of the band unless poorly mixed/mastered.

The mid bass on my defective pair was the worst part of the Ether 2. The mid bass on my current, non-defective pair is PERFECT!!! The bass on the Ether 2 is basically a straight line from 10hz to 1K. I love it. It’s present when needed, like if you’re listening to Sia, but it hides in the background when you listen to Willie Nelson. That’s what mid bass should do. It should accurately reflect the mix. It’s very tight, articulate, and accurate. It’s that great planar bass that I just love.

The sub bass is one of my favorite parts of the Ether 2. It’s present and very well extended. It just adds nice body and rumble to the music. It very much reminds of the sub bass on the higher end Hifiman offerings like the HEX V2, HEK V2, and Arya. And in my opinion, those headphones have awesome sub bass.

The soundstage on these is very good. It’s not the widest or largest, but it’s definitely not small either. It sounds very natural and everything has its own space. The layering and imaging is very good to my ears. It never sounds congested, even at louder volumes. In fact, because of the low distortion, incredible balance, and great layering, I prefer to listen to these at louder volumes. I definitely can’t say that about a lot of headphones, including other flagship headphones (which will not be named here).

The build quality to me is excellent. It’s all metal and leather (or maybe synthetic leather) and there are no cheap plastic parts. In spite of the premium build materials, they’re the lightest planar I’ve ever worn. My only criticism is that I do not like earpads that are glued or adhered on. I prefer a magnetic system. But this has already been addressed. There will be newer earpads of various sizes and materials available soon with a new adhesive mounting system that is supposedly able to be changed out multiple times with no problems and no damage to the earpads.

Finally let’s talk about comfort. This is a controversial topic due to widely varying head sizes. I don’t have a large head, so I find these pretty comfortable. I wouldn’t mind about 2 Newton’s less clamping force. And although my ears also fit completely inside the earpads, I wouldn’t mind a little extra wiggle room. So for my average-sized head, I don’t really have any complaints on comfort. But I’m sorry for those of you with big noggins, because these sound fantastic!

So in conclusion, I’d just like to say, I think I know why this headphone is so polarizing. I believe it’s because the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It doesn’t really wow you at first listen, because nothing really stands out, although it sounds really good right out of the box. It’s just so very well balanced from top to bottom, that it takes time to really appreciate it. But after a while, you start to realize that the Ether 2 really has no weaknesses. It presents with honesty, which over time and extended listening, is the best trait a headphone can have. It doesn’t have overtly bright treble which can be painful and annoying. It doesn’t have recessed mids which make vocals sound too distant and sometimes indistinct. It doesn’t have bloated mid bass that can bleed into the mids and mess up the higher frequency ranges. It doesn’t have rolled off or non-existent sub bass which destroys the soul of the music. And it’s not V-shaped which can WOW you at first listen, only to become fatiguing over time. My hyphenated one word description of the Ether 2: SUPERBLY-BALANCED!

So for those that are seeking a neutral to neutral-warm sound signature, then look no further. These will accurately represent the music with very little added “flavor”. So for my tastes and preferences, these check all the boxes. I love them!

My views are the same as yours. Superbly-balanced with exceptional smoothness is how I would describe E2.

Feb 19, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #1,503 of 3,212
Here is my review of the Ether 2. But let me clear the air first. My first foray into Mr. Speakers didn’t go well. I was very disappointed with my first unit because it sounded bland, over-damped, and very mid bass anemic. But it turned out to be defective. So I now have my second Ether 2, and it is working perfectly and definitely not defective. So here are my sound impressions now that I have been able to hear these the way they’re supposed to sound.

The most important frequency range for me to get right is the treble. I have very sensitive ears to elevated treble. The Ether 2 is the treble that I’ve always wanted. The treble is just perfect for my ears. It is extended, but not elevated. It is detailed and resolving, but never harsh or bright. I don’t do bright. I’m so tired of having to turn down the volume with TOTL headphones because they artificially jack up the treble to give the illusion of greater detail retrieval. That doesn’t happen with the Ether 2. With the Ether 2, I find myself turning up the volume. It’s all there, but it doesn’t mule kick you in the temple and force you to hear it. The treble on the Ether 2, to my ears, is a 10/10. I’d change nothing.

All I ask of my mids is to not be recessed or too forward. The Ether 2 mids sit exactly where I want them. I’d call them mostly linear to slightly forward. Perfect. There’s not much else to say. Vocals are front and center and always in front of the band unless poorly mixed/mastered.

The mid bass on my defective pair was the worst part of the Ether 2. The mid bass on my current, non-defective pair is PERFECT!!! The bass on the Ether 2 is basically a straight line from 10hz to 1K. I love it. It’s present when needed, like if you’re listening to Sia, but it hides in the background when you listen to Willie Nelson. That’s what mid bass should do. It should accurately reflect the mix. It’s very tight, articulate, and accurate. It’s that great planar bass that I just love.

The sub bass is one of my favorite parts of the Ether 2. It’s present and very well extended. It just adds nice body and rumble to the music. It very much reminds of the sub bass on the higher end Hifiman offerings like the HEX V2, HEK V2, and Arya. And in my opinion, those headphones have awesome sub bass.

The soundstage on these is very good. It’s not the widest or largest, but it’s definitely not small either. It sounds very natural and everything has its own space. The layering and imaging is very good to my ears. It never sounds congested, even at louder volumes. In fact, because of the low distortion, incredible balance, and great layering, I prefer to listen to these at louder volumes. I definitely can’t say that about a lot of headphones, including other flagship headphones (which will not be named here).

The build quality to me is excellent. It’s all metal and leather (or maybe synthetic leather) and there are no cheap plastic parts. In spite of the premium build materials, they’re the lightest planar I’ve ever worn. My only criticism is that I do not like earpads that are glued or adhered on. I prefer a magnetic system. But this has already been addressed. There will be newer earpads of various sizes and materials available soon with a new adhesive mounting system that is supposedly able to be changed out multiple times with no problems and no damage to the earpads.

Finally let’s talk about comfort. This is a controversial topic due to widely varying head sizes. I don’t have a large head, so I find these pretty comfortable. I wouldn’t mind about 2 Newton’s less clamping force. And although my ears also fit completely inside the earpads, I wouldn’t mind a little extra wiggle room. So for my average-sized head, I don’t really have any complaints on comfort. But I’m sorry for those of you with big noggins, because these sound fantastic!

So in conclusion, I’d just like to say, I think I know why this headphone is so polarizing. I believe it’s because the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It doesn’t really wow you at first listen, because nothing really stands out, although it sounds really good right out of the box. It’s just so very well balanced from top to bottom, that it takes time to really appreciate it. But after a while, you start to realize that the Ether 2 really has no weaknesses. It presents with honesty, which over time and extended listening, is the best trait a headphone can have. It doesn’t have overtly bright treble which can be painful and annoying. It doesn’t have recessed mids which make vocals sound too distant and sometimes indistinct. It doesn’t have bloated mid bass that can bleed into the mids and mess up the higher frequency ranges. It doesn’t have rolled off or non-existent sub bass which destroys the soul of the music. And it’s not V-shaped which can WOW you at first listen, only to become fatiguing over time. My hyphenated one word description of the Ether 2: SUPERBLY-BALANCED!

So for those that are seeking a neutral to neutral-warm sound signature, then look no further. These will accurately represent the music with very little added “flavor”. So for my tastes and preferences, these check all the boxes. I love them!
Nice write-up -- I concur. I'm very glad you got past the bad set.

BTW, the only addition I would make would be to emphasize this point:
The soundstage on these is very good. It’s not the widest or largest, but it’s definitely not small either. It sounds very natural and everything has its own space. The layering and imaging is very good to my ears. It never sounds congested, even at louder volumes...
Sizewise, the headstage on E2 is on a par with my Auteur, bigger in every dimension than Utopia, and close to as precise as Utopia -- Utopia's stage has best precision of any can I own or have auditioned extensively. I especially like the 3d imaging of the E2 stage.

Here's something I wrote about E2, stage, Liquid Platinum synergy...:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ether-2-impressions-and-discussion.890282/page-78#post-14699324

BTW, my Seimens E88CC are a small step up from the Amperex 6922 PQ in terms of 3d staging.

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #1,506 of 3,212
The most important frequency range for me to get right is the treble. I have very sensitive ears to elevated treble. The Ether 2 is the treble that I’ve always wanted. The treble is just perfect for my ears. It is extended, but not elevated. It is detailed and resolving, but never harsh or bright. I don’t do bright. I’m so tired of having to turn down the volume with TOTL headphones because they artificially jack up the treble to give the illusion of greater detail retrieval. That doesn’t happen with the Ether 2.

Amen, brother. My feelings exactly. The Ether 2 is a wonderful headphone.

Feb 20, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #1,507 of 3,212

What amp and dac do you use? I'm only asking because there's people that have given the E2 a poor review and it's because they are pairing a 2k headphone with a $300 budget massdrop amp.

Feb 21, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #1,509 of 3,212

Your impressions are spot on. I got my Ether 2's a couple of months ago and was initially not blown away by them after coming from my more "fun" D8000. Nothing about the sound stands out. But after spending several weeks with them, you notice that everything you play on them just sounds "correct." The frequency response is so precise without a hair out of place. Going back to some of my other cans, I find myself frustrated by some of their peaks and valleys, or lack of neutrality, etc. Ether 2 just does everything right, and they are so, so, good.

Feb 21, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #1,510 of 3,212
I tried these and liked the sound - but the fit for me is not right. Too tight on my large head. I look forward to when they have the different pads so will wait until then, as at the moment I think the pads are glued in ?? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Feb 21, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #1,511 of 3,212
Your impressions are spot on. I got my Ether 2's a couple of months ago and was initially not blown away by them after coming from my more "fun" D8000. Nothing about the sound stands out. But after spending several weeks with them, you notice that everything you play on them just sounds "correct." The frequency response is so precise without a hair out of place. Going back to some of my other cans, I find myself frustrated by some of their peaks and valleys, or lack of neutrality, etc. Ether 2 just does everything right, and they are so, so, good.

Thank you sir. I’m very glad you’re enjoying them.

Feb 21, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #1,512 of 3,212
My Ether 2s have been confirmed defective by A2A Melbourne and are going back for replacement. They kept cutting out when the pads were moved slightly. Not sure if there was also some sonic deficiency, they sounded a bit bland and lacking punch at first. Having said that, I have now gone back to my Ether Flows and despite them serving me well for the past year or so, they now sound horrible after getting used to the Ether 2. Sure there’s more impact, but everything is shrill and strident; detail, separation is gone, gosh they even feel uncomfortable. I have a small/ medium head and I like the way the greater clamping force of the 2s seals the pads around the ears.

Oh, and while I was at A2A I took the opportunity to demo the Focal Utopia, sounded fantastic, I can see now how people end up with a collection of headphones!

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #1,513 of 3,212
My Ether 2s have been confirmed defective by A2A Melbourne and are going back for replacement. They kept cutting out when the pads were moved slightly. Not sure if there was also some sonic deficiency, they sounded a bit bland and lacking punch at first. Having said that, I have now gone back to my Ether Flows and despite them serving me well for the past year or so, they now sound horrible after getting used to the Ether 2. Sure there’s more impact, but everything is shrill and strident; detail, separation is gone, gosh they even feel uncomfortable. I have a small/ medium head and I like the way the greater clamping force of the 2s seals the pads around the ears.

Oh, and while I was at A2A I took the opportunity to demo the Focal Utopia, sounded fantastic, I can see now how people end up with a collection of headphones!

That also happened to me. I think it is the power of brain burn-in. Everything including ether c flow and aeon flow open sounded harsh once my ears adapted to ether 2.

Feb 22, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #1,514 of 3,212
A great review just came out on enjoythemusic.com here.

"When factoring in their $2000 price while most competitors ask two to three times for their offerings, which puts the Ether 2 in a league of its own."

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 22, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #1,515 of 3,212
A great review just came out on enjoythemusic.com here.

"When factoring in their $2000 price while most competitors ask two to three times for their offerings, which puts the Ether 2 in a league of its own."
Well-earned praise. The Ether2 is just as exciting (or boring) as the music you feed it. So listen only to good quality music and you will never be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back