ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Feb 10, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #1,471 of 3,213
Yes, that is definitely the case with the Utopias. You get that sparkle and crunch with the Utopias but after about half an hour, I usually turn down the volume to tolerate it for longer listening sessions. The Abyss, on the other hand, presents even more detail than Utopia, but also has a really huge sound stage so all that detail is so nice and spacey, you really feel like the mix is all around you and it's not fatiguing. The Utopia's detail is much more narrow and right around the head, so I find it fatiguing after a while. I wanted a slightly darker/warmer/laid back headphone in my collection and the E2 seems to be doing that job nicely.

I use Shures instead of Sennheisers as my mid-fi pair, for the closed back bass. Their sound stage is comparable to that of the Clears, at a much lower price point. The level of detail available with Focals makes them all worth what they cost, to me (though I didn't want to spend as much as what the Utopias cost). I will be looking for a warmer pair soon as well to supplement them (because, after all, why should any metal driver not sound cold?). The Audezes I found all had wider sound stages, but those have their own set of issues (like the LCD-X being heavy enough to give me back problems). The E 2 will highlight that problem, all the more.

Abyss had clearly set out to make the world's best headphone, with that model you have.

It would be nice if there was a one size fits all headphone that works well with every piece of music, but as long as there are dark recordings and shouty recording, and brassy recordings, I will continue to prefer owning more than one pair. If only HiFiMan would improve their reliability.

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #1,472 of 3,213
I'm noticing how great the E2 is with vocals. Background vocals and especially harmonies are elevated tastefully and are so enjoyable.

Feb 10, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #1,473 of 3,213
I'm noticing how great the E2 is with vocals

If can swing the $$, might get Ether 2 as secondary headphone for casual general-purpose listening - favoring its unusual light 290 gm comfort factor.
However, the new RAAL Requisite SR-1A headphone at 425 gm weight (possibly driven by a Hypex NC502MP-based amplifier) is now being considered in addition to the Abyss AB-1266φ for critical listening of well-recorded material. Reportedly, the SR1a may have nearly the bass-slam of the Abyss, yet is claimed by many cognoscenti to be substantially better than the Abyss φ. Problem is, there's apparently no way to do a comparative critical audition of the RAAL Requisite SR-1A --- so again, buying without first hearing them: "Danger, danger, Will Robinson" (quote from 1960's 'Lost in Space' TV series).

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #1,474 of 3,213
If can swing the $$, might get Ether 2 as secondary headphone for casual general-purpose listening - favoring its unusual light 290 gm comfort factor.
However, the new RAAL Requisite SR-1A headphone at 425 gm weight (possibly driven by a Hypex NC502MP-based amplifier) is now being considered in addition to the Abyss AB-1266φ for critical listening of well-recorded material. Reportedly, the SR1a may have nearly the bass-slam of the Abyss, yet is claimed by many cognoscenti to be substantially better than the Abyss φ. Problem is, there's apparently no way to do a comparative critical audition of the RAAL Requisite SR-1A --- so again, buying without first hearing them: "Danger, danger, Will Robinson" (quote from 1960's 'Lost in Space' TV series).
The SR1A seems really nice, but those amp requirements are ridiculous! I would try them if they would work with my TT2.

Feb 11, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #1,475 of 3,213
While mulling over the decision to upgrade to E2 this weekend I stumbled upon a tube configuration in the Inspire IHA-1 that works extremely well for the Ether. That was an enjoyable listening session. Instead of helping me make a decision it has ended up making that decision harder. Not a terrible problem to have either way I suppose.

Feb 12, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #1,476 of 3,213
The SR1A seems really nice, but those amp requirements are ridiculous! I would try them if they would work with my TT2.

Yeah the speaker amp requirement is a bit much. I'm sure there's an owner's thread that has recommendations for amps. I got no idea what is good or bad in speaker amps. I would never buy one unless I got to audition it and was so blown away I had no choice but to buy one. I'm just glad that I'm happy with my current collection and I've been using the E2 almost exclusively now.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #1,477 of 3,213
I'm noticing how great the E2 is with vocals. Background vocals and especially harmonies are elevated tastefully and are so enjoyable.

I completely agree. The quality of vocals is superb but possibly even more impressive is their balance against the instruments/music. They are in the exactly perfect place.

My biggest issues with the Ether 2 so far are:

1. Everything sounds so good that I’m constantly wanting to switch from musical genre to genre, track to track to check everything out.

2. I can’t bring myself to burn them in, as I’m enjoying burning them in on my head while listening and hearing the headphones open up more and more over time. I should just give them 100 hours to get to a burnt in spot, but I can’t bring myself to skip over any listening time with them.

Ok, these aren’t actual problems. I love these headphones.

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #1,478 of 3,213
I completely agree. The quality of vocals is superb but possibly even more impressive is their balance against the instruments/music. They are in the exactly perfect place.

My biggest issues with the Ether 2 so far are:

1. Everything sounds so good that I’m constantly wanting to switch from musical genre to genre, track to track to check everything out.

2. I can’t bring myself to burn them in, as I’m enjoying burning them in on my head while listening and hearing the headphones open up more and more over time. I should just give them 100 hours to get to a burnt in spot, but I can’t bring myself to skip over any listening time with them.

I agree with #1.
As to #2, just let your head "burn-in" at the same time. It will improve both.

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #1,479 of 3,213

It's a good thing that after 100 hours of listening you'll be in the same position as if you burned then in :)

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #1,480 of 3,213
Same setting for me, I enjoy that one a lot, especially for older recordings.
How would you rate the synergy of Ether 2 when used with CH TT2 on a scale of 1 to 10? If that's a bit too much of a reductionist question; any comments you would care to make on the pairing? If not the CH TT2 which is your favourite amp for listening to the Ether 2?

Feb 16, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #1,484 of 3,213
No other current amps. I'm looking into getting LP or LG if I can find one for sale that is in great condition and not crazy expensive or my next purchase is a Hugo m scaler.
LP or LG? Not sure what these stand for. I see you own both TT2 and Ether 2. You gave the combo a rating of 8.5 out of 10 which is a very high score. While I appreciate that there is no such thing as perfection in this game can you put your finger on what stops you giving a 9 or even 10 rating?!

Feb 16, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #1,485 of 3,213
Hello everyone.
How Ether 2 sound compare to Focal Elear?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back