Equation Audio RP-21 Review
Sep 17, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #61 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogurt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well this is a bit of bringing up an old topic but better then starting a new one. I'm looking for a headphone that will compliment my Ipod touch coming in october and I have a few questions for owners...

How's the noise isolation this is a sell point for me, i can't allow music to leak.

How's the quality without an amp, i don't intend to buy one.

I have long hair, especially around my ears, will this headset cause me problems?

The other pair of phones im considering is Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. Which is better for Ipod use/the above scenarios.

Any responses of VERY welcomed.

At normal levels, music leakage is very low. My wife tried on a borrowed pair and I could barely hear anything and we have a very quiet house.

The 21s are easy to drive and perform very well without an amp.

Can't help you with the hair question since I keep my hair about 1/2" long.
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #62 of 72
I agree about the isolation. Even at quite loud volumes, the leaking is very minimal (someone would need to be within 1 or 2 feet of you to hear any type of noise and it would still be very quiet). I find them very comfortable and have been able to listen to them for long periods of time without discomfort. Out of the box they do clamp, but it wasn't uncomfortable for me and it decreased considerably after 2 days of use. Great sound, much better than my MS-1's for classical, good for my small amount of FPS gaming. I got them new at a music store near me for $89 and I'm very very happy.

Sep 23, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #64 of 72
I posted about this in the Sale thread, but it will probably get more (appropriate) exposure in the Equation Audio threads:

I just paid for a set of used Equation Audio RP-21s from which the original thick foam circles were removed. I know a number of you RP-21 owners have done the same procedure (to improve sound quality), so I thought I'd check to see if anyone has a set of the original foam circles lying around that they don't want. I'd like to have a full array of choices when my RP-21s arrive so I can decide which way I prefer them. Let me know if we can work something out! Thanks!

Sep 30, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #65 of 72
ive a query related to my personal use.. for below 100$, to be run from ipod and providing some noise isolation.. are these the best closed headphones available in market??
how do they compare against akg 240s.. (92$)

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #66 of 72
I just got a pair of these from kpeezy and I absolutely love how they sound!! They are quite a bit warmer than my MDR-7506's which seem a bit sterile and hissy.

I had a quick question though.....it comes with a cable that has a straight jack and an angled one. I figured the straight jack would go into the headphone, and the angled into the source, but I hardly get any sound that way. If I plug it in the other way, it sounds great! Even stranger still seeing as the angled plug has the threading for the 1/4" adapter....

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #71 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, that's funny about 10 minutes before I read the post above me I was thinking the same thing.

The RP-21's just sound like how the producer intended the music to sound. They're very well rounded, enjoyable, and just sound great. Regarding the bass in comparison to 990's, I'd say that the 990's go deeper and have a more extended range but the rp-21's pack a tighter punch. They're very satisfying, I've been listening to some VERY VEERRRRY bassy down tempo chillout and all sounds well on these. The 990's highs are more audible (don't know if I'd consider that a good or bad thing though, that's more preference really IMO). I try to avoid too many highs, they can be fatiguing (especially in the music I listen to). I do preference the overall sound of the 990's more... Is it worth 100 dollars more? For some/head-fiers maybe but probably not everyone.

To my surprise they're VERY airy for closed headphones too. Something I wasn't expecting. Isolation is fantastic, they don't leak much at all (if that's something you need).

Bottom line is RP-21 is a winner.

What types of music do you listen to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back