Equation Audio RP-21 Review
Jun 20, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #31 of 72
Comfort does improve by replacing the stock pads with the Beyers.

I wear them loosely so my skin can breathe a bit even with the stock pads. You can roll some cotten (from socks) around the stock earpads to help allow the pleather pads to breathe better.

Jun 20, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #32 of 72
I am using the Beyer velour pads and the confort is so much better. I used to sweat witht he pleather pads. Well, no more.
icon10.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #34 of 72
I am a conspiracy theorist and believe EVERYTHING alters the sound.

The Beyer grey velour pads reduce the bass and change the sound, many say, for the worse.

Jun 25, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #35 of 72
Good review, I have four RP-21 on the way (Ok only two of them are for myself.) Happy to see you think they are accurate sounding, can't wait to hear. And you're even comparing the sound to Genelec - don't get me too hyped now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Side note while we're talking studio phones: Auditioned Audio-Technica ATHM40FS today - i was not impressed. Midrange was highly nasal/tin can sounding. Bass sounded really rolled off and treble was pretty laid back too. They had decent detail though, a sound technician I know like them because they are easy to spot errors with due to the pronounced mid range.

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #36 of 72
Okay, I'm not ganna lie...

These truly without a doubt are the best headphones I've ever heard for 100 dollars. I paid twice as much for my 990's and I only preference them slightly more... Heck, actually in some ways I like these better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #38 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EsthetiX
How would you compare the bass of the RP-21 to the DT-990's?

Before I comment on that I'm going to let them burn in a bit more... (don't know if it seriously helps much but I'd hate for my opinion to be bias).

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #39 of 72
The RP-21 sound very, very fine with tube amplification. As the Woo 6 has settled in after around 200 hours the sound the RP-21's produce is very good. Solid bass, open and airy with good depth and width. My Xin Reference Micro also does an excellent job of driving them and the 21's sound very good with this combination also. I am using the Beyer leather ear pads and some airliner earphone foams.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #40 of 72
guys can u help me compare RP-21 with MS-1? aside from the open vs closed
and what kind of music RP-1 shines at?
thanks

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #41 of 72
I have been using them with clasical, jazz, rock, well to be honest a speaker system or headphones, if they are doing the right thing, should reproduce ANY music correctly. The notion that Beyerdynamics are better for this type of music and the Grado's with a different type doesn't wash with me. Either it reproduces the signal put into it as close as possible presented to it or I don't use it and this means all types of music should be reproduced in a truthful and engrossing manner.

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #42 of 72
Heh, that's funny about 10 minutes before I read the post above me I was thinking the same thing.

The RP-21's just sound like how the producer intended the music to sound. They're very well rounded, enjoyable, and just sound great. Regarding the bass in comparison to 990's, I'd say that the 990's go deeper and have a more extended range but the rp-21's pack a tighter punch. They're very satisfying, I've been listening to some VERY VEERRRRY bassy down tempo chillout and all sounds well on these. The 990's highs are more audible (don't know if I'd consider that a good or bad thing though, that's more preference really IMO). I try to avoid too many highs, they can be fatiguing (especially in the music I listen to). I do preference the overall sound of the 990's more... Is it worth 100 dollars more? For some/head-fiers maybe but probably not everyone.

To my surprise they're VERY airy for closed headphones too. Something I wasn't expecting. Isolation is fantastic, they don't leak much at all (if that's something you need).

Bottom line is RP-21 is a winner.

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #43 of 72
so to put it simple rp-21 is all-round cans? sorry if i missed to read the price, is it $99?

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #44 of 72
Yeah, most stores sell them for 99$. Here in Oregon there is no tax and the shipping is included.

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #45 of 72
i'm not in us, but here we got 1 dealer that sells WA,maybe i'll try contact them, btw how about the build quality, from the outside EA looks sturdy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back