Equation Audio RP-21 Review
Jun 28, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #46 of 72
Well they are pretty much plastic but seem to hold up fine and I guess that is what counts. I like Leica cameras so that is what I really like in quality and feel but I don't want to pay a Leica price.

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #47 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well they are pretty much plastic but seem to hold up fine and I guess that is what counts. I like Leica cameras so that is what I really like in quality and feel but I don't want to pay a Leica price.

They do have 2 year warranty which is great! plus you can extebnd it by another year!

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #48 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm not in us, but here we got 1 dealer that sells WA,maybe i'll try contact them, btw how about the build quality, from the outside EA looks sturdy

They are very sturdy with hard plastics and strong hinges. Maybe can take more beating than your MS1. I can say that the RP21 is a very well rounded cans. There is noticeable flaw in the sound except that they don't have that airiness and speed of grados. SR60/80, MS1 works better for rock music to my ears.

Pasti sesuai dengan standar pak direktur
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #49 of 72
hehehe, seems like the world is small,
i'm thinking of trying variety of cans, wants to know the sigs of each cans

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #50 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pasti sesuai dengan standar pak direktur
tongue.gif

Indonesian?

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #52 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes he is

lol...and my guess you are too? what a small world...

Jun 28, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #53 of 72
yep hehehe, btw can i PM u, wanna ask about darth beyers
thanks

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #56 of 72
Just got my pair of RP-21. I'm satisfied so far. Tested and A/B compared with Genelec 8030A near field monitors, Beyerdynamic DT880, and the RP-21. Also A/B'd the DT's and RP with pads switched with each other (velour vs pleather). Amps used: Behringer mixer headphone out, Go-Vibe v5.

Initial impressions, use a grain of salt since I've only heard them for 1-2 hours:
First I was thinking of a recessed midrange on the RP, but after an hour of listening I can't find this anymore.

With stock pads the RP-21 sounds good with most tracks. Detailed and pretty accurate from what I can hear. Bass might be slightly too much sounding with the stock pads. I'm used to the open air sound though. Isolation is good.

With the velour pads from the DT880 the RP sounds really thin and wimpy. Not nice at all, although very comfy. Can also say the DT880 with the RP pleather pads sound horrible. Boxy and boomy with midrange like a transistor radio. Although they looked pretty cool. I have beyer synthetic leather on the way from Germany, will try them on later.

Did not sound too bad at all even when run side by side with the Genelec (L monitor + R phone and reversed, both stereo/mono). No disturbing colorations noted (albeit I only compared a few tracks), definitely great performance for the price.

Music tested:
Allan Holdsworth - Secrets
Dolly Parton - Halos and Horns
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the key of life (2000 re-master)

Jul 11, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #57 of 72
Thanks for the reference with the mighty Genelec 803A's.

We need more of this type of comparisons. I think speakers(like the Genelecs) are a much tougher test than other headphones.

Sep 11, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #58 of 72
Very good review, i took the decision to buy these for replace the DT770pro/80 that i have. I want more bass impact and a airy soundstage (the boxed sound is stressing) and i want to make the most of my PA2V2 amp, because it work a lot better with very low impedance Headphones than with a higher ones. The sound get distorted with my DT770 (also the DT990) in the bass (and the bass slam is lean) and treble with higher volumes. With low impedance sounds very good.

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #59 of 72
I've been using my RP-21 for about 2 months, and would like to add to the above discussion. All in all, I agree with the OP and most of the posts in this thread.

The RP-21 is a very good all-around headphone, especially for the street price of roughly $99. It's not audiophile quality, but is very good value for money. I do agree that the presentation is pretty neutral, and the music sounds "like the producer intended it to sound." They are relatively unfatiguing from an acoustic standpoint, I can listen to them for about 3-4 hours at a time until my hearing tires of them. This is better than any other headphone I own except for the AKG K240S.

Its greatest strengths are the fact that they are closed, easy to drive, have fairly good detail/resolution, and adequate bass. I feel its greatest weakness is an inaccuracy in the treble that is hard to describe, but Skylab has posted on this before and can describe it better than I can.

Since it is not audiophile quality, closed, and easy to drive, I feel they are best suited to studio use, portable use (sound TERRIFIC directly out of an iPod), and work use (if you don't have hair that will get all messed up from the headband). They don't scale as well as most other quality phones. The worse your sound system, the better these headphones are a match for them. The better your sound system, the more likely you are to find another pair of phones that will do your system justice.

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #60 of 72
Well this is a bit of bringing up an old topic but better then starting a new one. I'm looking for a headphone that will compliment my Ipod touch coming in october and I have a few questions for owners...

How's the noise isolation this is a sell point for me, i can't allow music to leak.

How's the quality without an amp, i don't intend to buy one.

I have long hair, especially around my ears, will this headset cause me problems?

The other pair of phones im considering is Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. Which is better for Ipod use/the above scenarios.

Any responses of VERY welcomed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back