Equation Audio RP-21 Review
May 17, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #16 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantmShado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You compare them to the audiophile level ATH-A900. By any chance can you give a more in depth comparison? I've seen a good amount of recomendations for the A900 in an unamped under 200 price range for closed headphones, but I've also heard a good deal about a lacking midrange. How do the eartools fare in that regard?

thanks,
PhantmShado

Ditto. Would love to know the same exact thing.

May 19, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #17 of 72
First off thanks for the great review.

I was just about to get the 770 80's when I came across this, seemed to fit my needs a little bit better as I read the 770's werent great for low level listening, and this review seemed to indicate the RP-21's do a much better job, can you please confirm this for me as its very important for my needs and I'm a bit of a noob :p

Soundstaging is also important to me, would you say its weaker or stronger than the 770's?

I'm looking for headphones I could use for music, movies, gaming and to use whilst drumming, so basically a jack of all trades, do you think these fit the bill?

Sorry if theres too many questions but I've done alot of research now so my first pair of proper headphones do the job, so would really appreciate any feedback to these questions... cheers =)

May 21, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #18 of 72
From what I've gathered, these are comfy, neutral, realistic, and very clear. My only real question is how they handle heavy metal and gaming. My music collection hinges on decent bass and high end, with clarity being a huge bonus. I'm also liable to listen to random stuff, so a fair amount of versatility wouldn't hurt. Also, if the soundstage is as expansive as some reviews made it out to be, these would also be great for gaming. My final question is how much clamping force they have. I'd like something that fully surrounds the ear, makes a good seal, and stays put pretty well.

May 21, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #19 of 72
Yeah! good work!

Do you know something like this for the RP-15MC?

Cheers!

May 21, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #20 of 72
Does anybody have experience with the RP-21's comfort as compared to ATH-Ax00s? I've got a pair of A700s now, and if these are more comfortable, I'd think about selling them. Sound quality is secondary, but not by much.

May 23, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #21 of 72
Crazy88-How is the seal compared to the HD280 and the Beyer 770?

tbonner1-Seal is comparable to the HD 280, which is to say, quite good. But the RP-21 feels more comfortable on my (large) head.

May 23, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #22 of 72
Does anyone know if the coiled cord that comes with the RP 15s is compatible with the RP21s... and if so where can you buy one (specifically on line).

And is any other cord compatible that you know of. 3 meters is kinda long and I plan on traveling with my 21s.

May 23, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #23 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if the coiled cord that comes with the RP 15s is compatible with the RP21s... and if so where can you buy one (specifically on line).

And is any other cord compatible that you know of. 3 meters is kinda long and I plan on traveling with my 21s.

The coiled cord actually comes with the RP-22X, not the RP-15MC (the RP-15 features a slightly thinner straight cord), but, yes, all RP model cords are interchangeable. I believe no online shop lists them separately for sale, but you can contact either one of the dealers named on the Equation Audio website or PM Member of the Trade rep Sybrsound to purchase one.

As far as shorter cords go, I'm not aware of any ready-made third-party options...so what I'm in the process of doing is shortening a Sennheiser HD485 cord and soldering a Neutrik plug on the end (since the HD485 cord fits the EarTools nicely but is also much too long).

May 23, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #24 of 72
Yup. The HD485 cable is a couple inches longer than the RP21 cable. But way cheaper.

I like the HD485 cable pretty well but i wish they'd used an insulation more heat-resistant than they did on the individual wires. Next time i cut into one i'm going to have to try putting eensy heatshrink around them before tinning the ends.

But what do you want for less than $3?

I've heard redbeard complain that he wishes the RP-21 cable draped as well as the cable on the K141-M i sold him does. How's the RP15mc cable that way?

May 23, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #25 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The coiled cord actually comes with the RP-22X, not the RP-15MC (the RP-15 features a slightly thinner straight cord), but, yes, all RP model cords are interchangeable. I believe no online shop lists them separately for sale, but you can contact either one of the dealers named on the Equation Audio website or PM Member of the Trade rep Sybersound to purchase one.

As far as shorter cords go, I'm not aware of any ready-made third-party options...so what I'm in the process of doing is shortening a Sennheiser HD485 cord and soldering a Neutrik plug on the end (since the HD485 cord fits the EarTools nicely but is also much too long).

I have tried to reach the trade rep, so far nothing back. There has gotta be someone selling it.

May 24, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #26 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried to reach the trade rep, so far nothing back. There has gotta be someone selling it.

Not sure if it's 'cuz I misspelled his username (oops)...It should be Sybrsound. Anyways, I suggest giving it a bit more time. My communication with Dave has always been great.

May 24, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #27 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if it's 'cuz I misspelled his username (oops)...It should be Sybrsound. Anyways, I suggest giving it a bit more time. My communication with Dave has always been great.

Epithetless hooked me up with the info to get the cord. If anyone else wants it let me know.

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #29 of 72
Another great review Tbonner1, thanks. I have ordered a pair to check out, since these are fairly inexpensive, and I am always on the prowl for good closed cans.

Jun 3, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #30 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by basmatirice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how deep at the earcups? over and inch?

The earcups are aobut half an inch deep, but there's a pad of foam on the inside. Your ears will probably touch a little, so they can get a little stuffy after 2 or 3 hours of use. At least that's how long it took before they started to bother me. Maybe it's just because I'm new to closed headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back