EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Sep 14, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #601 of 697
Dear Psiga, thank you for again a wealth of information!

On my part I bought a RP22 today in the Montreal area and the dealer told me there was a 10$ rebate on the headphones, authorized by the Equation representative, and that on the next shipping he is receiving of RP21 and RP-15 next week the same rebate is applying.

Looks like the Equation headquarters are in a promoting mode of their line.

I might get a RP21 next week, depending of my liking or not the 22s.

My 22 are presently "bathed" in pink noise...

regards,

Sep 15, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #602 of 697
Hey Psiga, thank you for the great read on your experience with Equation Audio's tech support. It reassures the fact that I shouldn't have a problem, if, hopefully never, with my RP-21s. I love 'em!

Sep 15, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #604 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmmm.

Would the Rp21 be an upgrade from my MS1's?

I haven't heard the MS1s, but would you be ok with closed, over-the-ear headphones?

Sep 15, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #605 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the MS1s, but would you be ok with closed, over-the-ear headphones?

That would be better than the MS1's.

While I have no issue with the comfort of the MS1's while they are on my head, once i take them off my ears hurt quite a bit.

Having closed would be usefull too, since the MS1's are VERY un isolating...

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #606 of 697
Hey congratulations on the RP-22X purchase Caribou679!!
I hope you will share your impressions here. I really like what the 22X does with live performance and 1950's recorded Jass. The RP-21 IMHO is still a more all around good can for every thing but the 22X has a nice warm rich quality.

fraseyboy: I have owned the MS1, a very nice listen. The RP-21 is a closed can but many have expressed it has an openish quality. This is my experience also. I spend much more time with the Equations on my head than I ever did with the MS 1's, just much more charming to me. I don't know if I would call the RP-21 an upgrade to the MS 1. The RP-21 is a different kind of headphone all together and for me a more involving, accurate and balanced presentation. The MS 1 is a champ in the open, 32ohm arena for sure.

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #607 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by dandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey congratulations on the RP-22X purchase Caribou679!!
I hope you will share your impressions here. I really like what the 22X does with live performance and 1950's recorded Jass. The RP-21 IMHO is still a more all around good can for every thing but the 22X has a nice warm rich quality.

Well thank you!
I sure will let you know my impressions!

After 15 hrs of pink noise I am listening now to Miles Davis Live at the Plugged Nickel ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #608 of 697
If Equation is reading this, then allow me to summarize one man's opinion of the RP21s:

Pros
1) Great headphone overall
2) Amazing synergy with the Lunchbox II amp makes for a real budget yowsa!

For improvement
1) Stock pads could be more plush
2) Foam could be less dense
3) Resonance could be dampened slightly to reduce plasticy sound in highs

We just received the Senn HD280s at work and I think Equation clearly kicks their butt.

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #610 of 697
The HD580s are clearly more refined and to be blunt much better phone for music. The bass is a little weak but present at all frequencies - very neutral actually (I prefer a little more bass - the HD650 are probably my perfect phone altough i've never heard them before). Also the 580s are much more comfortable. HD580s clearly win on soundstage (not really fair since they are open) and highs, mids are much smoother and realistic sounding (i.e., vocals), but the bass is not quite as punchy as the RP21s. The RP21s are still a very nice closed phone and its not really fair to compare a closed vs open phone. Also, the RP21s don't really require an amp either. I totally agree with bebanovich on what he suggests on improving the RP21s.

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #611 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD580s are clearly more refined and to be blunt much better phone for music. The bass is a little weak but present at all frequencies - very neutral actually (I prefer a little more bass - the HD650 are probably my perfect phone altough i've never heard them before). Also the 580s are much more comfortable. HD580s clearly win on soundstage (not really fair since they are open) and highs, mids are much smoother and realistic sounding (i.e., vocals), but the bass is not quite as punchy as the RP21s. The RP21s are still a very nice closed phone and its not really fair to compare a closed vs open phone. Also, the RP21s don't really require an amp either. I totally agree with bebanovich on what he suggests on improving the RP21s.

Well in that case...

Mm.

Would my GoVibe V6 be good enough to power the HD580 to its full potential? If not, I think I might just get the RP21.

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #612 of 697
I honestly do not feel like reading the whole thread. So here are my questions:

1. sound signature? i.e. warm, bright, aggressive

2. instrument separation - is it that evident or does it only separate the "easy instruments" such as the drums and cymbals

3. sound stage - is it wide enough? (im not expecting some K701s space, but I'd like a good spacing in my songs)

4. isolation: how much does it isolate? is it good for a bus commute?

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #613 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Psiga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The replacements arrived with thin white foam wrappings around the swivel joints that I don't remember seeing when I opened the box of the original. C.P. assured me that the foam should be there, and sounded certain that the cosmetic damage on the top of the original would not have passed through quality control at the factory, so perhaps something happened at the store where I purchased them.

I bought my RP-21s online and they arrived with the exact same finish issue on the headband. Like you, i figured it was nitpicking and it didnt affect the phones sonically.

Sep 16, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #614 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmike34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought my RP-21s online and they arrived with the exact same finish issue on the headband. Like you, i figured it was nitpicking and it didnt affect the phones sonically.

While we're keeping track, my dad's RP-21 (the last one available at his local dealer in Michigan) also had this headband finish issue at the time of purchase...

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #615 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by bebanovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If Equation is reading this, then allow me to summarize one man's opinion of the RP21s:

Pros
1) Great headphone overall
2) Amazing synergy with the Lunchbox II amp makes for a real budget yowsa!

For improvement
1) Stock pads could be more plush
2) Foam could be less dense
3) Resonance could be dampened slightly to reduce plasticy sound in highs

We just received the Senn HD280s at work and I think Equation clearly kicks their butt.

Excellent points. I have yet to save up for the Lunchbox II amp though!
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back