EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Aug 15, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #571 of 697
Quote:

Do you use Beyer pleather pads? I could hear people talking when I walked by them on the street. For me, it isolates fairly well in the high frequencies, but almost not at all on low frequencies. The rumble of traffic or a Metro train was almost as loud with the headphones as without

Yup, same question.

I want the isolation to be good enough to block out the bus engine's sound or the cars outside - I'll be using these in my commute often. I hated on how I had to scroll up to 3/4s of the ipod's volume with my A700s, those killed my ears.

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #572 of 697
Get some Mylar X3s for isolation. I wouldn't be caught dead with these on outside, but that's just me
wink.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #573 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The isolation is not what I was hoping for. It doesn't really isolate well enough to wear no the DC Metro, or even walking from my office to the Metro stop. I found myself turning up the volume. So I'm still searching for a nice sounding, very isolating headphone.

If the RP-21s are not isolating enough for you, then I have a feeling you will not ever find a full sized pair of (passive) closed phones that will satisfy you for both isolating purposes AND sound quality. You sound like a good candidate for custom fited IEMs. And if IEMs still isn't enough isolation for you, then I suppose you could wear a pair of passive noise blocking muffs, like these over top of the IEMs. At that point, you are probably blocking out upwards of 60+ DBs of outside noise. If that still isn't enough for you, then you may well be s**t out of luck!

Perhaps active noise canceling phones may be worth a look for you. Just know that I haven't seen very many reports of good sounding quality coming out of active noise canceling phones.

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #574 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the RP-21s are not isolating enough for you, then I have a feeling you will not ever find a full sized pair of (passive) closed phones that will satisfy you for both isolating purposes AND sound quality. You sound like a good candidate for custom fited IEMs. And if IEMs still isn't enough isolation for you, then I suppose you could wear a pair of passive noise blocking muffs, like these over top of the IEMs. At that point, you are probably blocking out upwards of 60+ DBs of outside noise. If that still isn't enough for you, then you may well be s**t out of luck!

Perhaps active noise canceling phones may be worth a look for you. Just know that I haven't seen very many reports of good sounding quality coming out of active noise canceling phones.

I use IEMs now, both the UM1 and the im716. I love both of them, but this summer the lack of rain has caused my allergies go get pretty bad and made my ear canals a little sensitive.

I've thought about customs. I'm not sure how much of a break they'll give my ear canal. It should be some since it's not something I'm sticking in there that is expanding into the wall of my ear canal.

I've been looking for some non-IEM isolating cans to give my ears a little break. The DC Metro is so noisy that I feel the need for hearing protection riding it every day, so even though they bother my ears, I'm still using the IEMs. I was hoping the RP-21 would do it, but they don't. I'm now considering the HD-25 or ATH-ANC7. I tried the ATH-ANC7 and they were pretty isolating at a meet. I might try the HD-25 first, because if they don't work, I should be able to resell them.

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #576 of 697
Only the HD25-1's offer near-IEM isolation, in my experience.

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #578 of 697
I'm on the verge of ordering those headphones,but my problem is that i cannot really decide between rp21 and rp22x....I guess isolation is same for both of them,so my question is about the bass difference :
Is electronic music going to sound better with the rp22x or the rp21??
Cause I listen ONLY to electronic music (that is electro,progressive house and trance) and i really LOVE rich and heavy BASS!!!
Name one and i buy it
cool.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #581 of 697
I'm wading through this thread but am about halfway and haven't seen anything about this yet, so I'll risk it and ask: my head is pretty small (I am 5' tall), to the point where almost any headphone I buy slips down a bit on my head even at the shortest headband length, and earpads are always circumaural for me no matter what. This also minimizes clamp, and I think that's a problem I'm having with my RP-21s. Sound, particularly bass, seems the slightest bit more robust and isolated when I push the phones into my head a bit manually, but that's really not great for sitting and listening. Does anybody have any ideas on how to improve the clamp on these? Would Beyer leather pads help at all? Or is this all just in my mind and the reason it sounds "better" when I physically apply pressure and hold them into my skull is because the drivers are then the tiniest bit closer to my ears?
smily_headphones1.gif

Looking forward to any suggestions.

Aug 22, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #582 of 697
I think the Beyer Pleather earpads would help increase isolation, and thus improve the bass.

Aug 22, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #583 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope- not just you. I think they do it right in the bass dept.

How would you compare the bass to AKG K81DJ? Anyone experience both?

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #585 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Beyer Pleather earpads would help increase isolation, and thus improve the bass.

leather is better i think..correct me if im wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back