EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Aug 23, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #586 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
leather is better i think..correct me if im wrong

Yes, leather is better, but 2x the price.

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #587 of 697
Hey, I just tried the Beyer leather earpads with the foam that comes with them (the original thick foam was removed). While the comfort was very nice, the sound really changed for the worse. The main difference was a spike in the mid bass and a subsequent loss in low bass which led to an overall boomy sounding bass. I put back on the original pads and the low bass returned while the boom was gone. My guess is that the Beyer pads are less dense than the original pads and that somehow affected the bass. I really liked the way that the Beyer pads feel and they look pretty cool too, but the change in sound was unacceptable. I'll just deal with some discomfort - the original pads aren't too bad, there's just not that comfy.

Anyone else notice the difference is sound using the Beyer pads?

Aug 27, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #588 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I just tried the Beyer leather earpads with the foam that comes with them (the original thick foam was removed). While the comfort was very nice, the sound really changed for the worse. The main difference was a spike in the mid bass and a subsequent loss in low bass which led to an overall boomy sounding bass. I put back on the original pads and the low bass returned while the boom was gone. My guess is that the Beyer pads are less dense than the original pads and that somehow affected the bass. I really liked the way that the Beyer pads feel and they look pretty cool too, but the change in sound was unacceptable. I'll just deal with some discomfort - the original pads aren't too bad, there's just not that comfy.

Anyone else notice the difference is sound using the Beyer pads?

Wow, very interesting. I've briefly listened to my Dad's RP-21 with stock pads (I'm happy to say he has me to thank for that purchasing decision
smily_headphones1.gif
), and though I very much enjoyed their sound, the pads were too shallow for my ears. I've been planning to make an immediate switch to Beyer pads if/when I end up purchasing a set of RP-21s for myself...but a dramatic drop in sound quality would change the whole picture and make me rethink considering the RP-21s at all. With Max F's troubling impressions on the table, can anyone else comment on how their Beyer pads affect SQ? I wonder if there's any difference between the vinyl and leather Beyer pads as well...

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #589 of 697
The leather may sound better if the leather makes the pads more stiffer than the vinyl. I really loved the way the vinyl pad felt though. They were so cushy and kept my ears cooler. Its just that the bass went totally boomy - like a one note subwoofer. I'm curious if anyone else had this problem.

Oh, btw, I just got some used Senn HD-580s and have really found my sound signiture! I'll probably keep the RP-21 as my closed phones, but I probably won't listen to them nearly as much now! I really like the 580s but wish they had a touch more bass and a little less bright - which would mean that the 650s are likely my perfect phones. My wife would kill me though! But I've almost made it to my headphone shangri-la!

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #590 of 697
I just received my leather earpads 4 days ago. I didnt notice a loss of bass. After I read your statement I did try to notice it though. I played some of my bass intensive songs and really tried. They might be a very little bit more "boomy" as you say, but I didnt notice any loss.

On another note I was playing around with sealing the little vent holes on the back side. It does make a change in sound. I haven't had enough time to make a judgment yet. The new baby is taking most of my time. I just used some electrical tape and covered the vents for testing. You might give that a try and see if your "boomyness" goes away.

Aug 27, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #592 of 697
Get the pliable plastic backing that goes in the groove started on one side, hold it with a finger or part of your and and gently work your way around getting the plastic into the slot as you pull the ear pad towards the plastic slot as you go. They will work in as you go around the headphone.

Aug 27, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #593 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Troyhoot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On another note I was playing around with sealing the little vent holes on the back side. It does make a change in sound. I haven't had enough time to make a judgment yet. The new baby is taking most of my time. I just used some electrical tape and covered the vents for testing. You might give that a try and see if your "boomyness" goes away.

You know, I thought about doing the exaact same thing. I'll have to give it a shot.

Hey, and I've got a newborn myself - actually she's 10 months!

edit
opps, i meant she's 10 weeks!

Aug 27, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #594 of 697
Getting the pads on was a chore the first time. I used the dull side of a needle to help guide it in the slot. You have to hold what you get on or it will slip off as you try to get the other side.

On the vent hole covering... I am also debating about maybe blue tacking or sound dampening in the black cover to help Isolation. I dunno yet, still toying with the idea.

My daughter is 3 weeks old. So we still arent getting much sleep
blink.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #595 of 697
Success! Thanks for the reassurance, I was on the right track, just impatient. I haven't glued the Beyer foam down or anything, just shoved it in there. Seems pretty good. And I've now taken the pads on and off a couple times, much easier.

Now I just need my head to grow a few inches. :/ Still gapping a tiny bit from my jawline back around behind my ears.

(On the plus side, the husband just "remembered" an Audigy ZS Notebook he had sitting around from a year or two ago when he played WOW for three days. Mine now.)

Aug 30, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #596 of 697
Got my RP-21s today from DaNuS (Thanks!!) here on head-fi, and currently enjoying them. Will wait for more songs to be played, and more hours of burn in before I post my opinions.

Sep 1, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #597 of 697
Still enjoying the RP-21s!!! I sure love them more than the Sony MDR-7506s, those have way too much treble. They definitely beat the AKG K81DJs in most areas. And since I am a basshead, I'm loving the bass outta these headphones. Not too overpowering, just right. But I think my amp boosts the bass just a bit where I like it. Haven't put enough hours on the phones to say that they are being burnt in, so I will continue to listen and enjoy music with these phones.

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #599 of 697
Great review by OP! I had planned on buying some and this just reaffirms my decision. Hopefully I can get a response from a seller on the FS forums, but if not, I'll just order them new because I don't want to wait
tongue.gif
My PMX100's allow way too much sound to leak in when I'm on campus and it is one of the most annoying things that could possibly happen when listening to music......

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #600 of 697
Hokay. I was waiting to see how things would resolve before making a post about it, and ~now the time has come.~

My RP-15mc broke on me a couple months back, and Equation kindly replaced them. They treated me pretty well. I hope that in the future they will make the folding joints thicker than 1.5mm, but yeah.

I also own an RP-21, and a little while after making a post here that my RP-21's headband was initially painfully tight but had loosened up nicely over time, I started noticing that the headband was now far too loose. Upon inspection, I find:

rp21-break.jpg

Gah.

So the tech support dance begins:

Quote:

Wow, what a sad day.

I should start by saying that I received the replacement RP-15mc that you sent out in mid-July. It's still sitting unopened in the shipping box, and I'll be giving it to my dad as a birthday gift soon. I'll still be sending the original broken one back to you for inspection and/or refurbishment, HOWEVER, now we have a new casualty:

http://psiga.mp3.googlepages.com/rp21-break.jpg

I sincerely thought that my RP-21 was going to last me for years and years without trouble.

Sure, I could nit-pick. It arrived from the factory with finish problems on the headband:
http://psiga.mp3.googlepages.com/rp21-factorydamage.jpg

Strike one. But that didn't affect the fit or the sound, so I didn't mind enough to complain.

Then a little piece of metal in the left earcup started clicking around. At first it only did so sometimes when the cup swiveled, but after a couple months it began making a rattle whenever I'd tilt my head up or down. It wasn't so bad that I'd feel the need to complain to you about it, but it really shouldn't happen at all. Strike two.

Finally, today, I notice that the headband has loosened up a lot since I first got it. A little...too much, actually. And it's not properly resting on my left ear anymore. So I go to inspect the left side, and, tadaa, it's starting to crack along the inside. Strike three. : (

I figure that I'm already in the minority for having the RP-15mc break within its first week, but now the flagship RP-21 as well? These are indoor headphones that go from my desk to my head to my desk again; I don't drop them, I don't share them, but I do use them for several hours a day. What can I do? Am I just not cut out for Equation headphones?

Thank you very much for your time (and otherwise delightful-sounding headphones),
Patrick M.

Equation's maestro of tech support responds to me thusly:

Quote:

Hello Patrick,

I am sorry that you have had this problem with the RP-21 and appreciate your sending the photos. As a product that we’ve now been shipping for over a year and a half (over two years with the current headband, including the later RP-20’s) we can clearly say that the problem that you have is very unusual. Of those that we’ve seen, the problem has been right at the yoke connection to the strap, where your problem appears to be a little higher up on the strap. The fact that it is a very rare occurrence might not be that assuring to you, as you had already had the problem with the RP-15MC, but it’s just not something we seen more than a handful of times.

I’ll check to see if engineering needs to see them here, but we will send a replacement.

As for the damage on the top of the strap…..let’s just say it would not have been nit-picking to have said something when you received it. And whether it was damaged in shipping, or at the dealer, we would not knowingly ship a product that looked like that. I’d call this a bit more than just finish problems and wish you had said something when you received it originally.
Now, I wasn’t able to see from the angle of the picture, was this on the same or the opposite side from the one that is breaking? Just wondering if it suffered from some rough handling before you received. I’m just trying to understand what might have happened to them.

As I think of it, I’d say we will want to look at your set anyway, because of the rattle that you’re talking about. Early in their production we became aware of a rattle in a few units, with some broadcasters who were using them. We were able to determine that if they tipped their head forward the transducer leads on one side were too long and would hit the housing, but there is not much else that can cause this problem…..So please send them back when you can.

Again, I'm very sorry that you've had this problem. We do support our products and hope you receive many years of enjoyment from them. We'll send the replacement set of RP-21's to the same address as earlier, unless you tell us differently.

C.P. Pores

I appreciate the hell out of getting robust and personalized tech support. It's also worth mentioning that his response was on Sunday the 2nd, which was Labor Day weekend. So this is well beyond my expectations.

We had a little bit more email banter, as well as a phone conversation the day that my replacement arrived.

To be honest, I had been losing my zeal for the Equation line, and was considering just flipping the new-in-box replacements when they arrived. But I didn't, and frankly am glad that I didn't. The replacements were comfortable right out of the box, with none of the initial tightness that I felt with the original set. The original set needed a week or so of having its cups swiveled flat when not in use, to stretch the band a little. The replacement set does not need this at all. C.P. said that they have not changed the design, to his knowledge, so there shouldn't be a difference between them.

The model numbers are 03K06 for the original set, and 04K07 for the replacement, so I take it to mean there is about a year difference between them. Whether there is or is not a difference in how the factory makes the headbands, I don't know.

Sonically, it's mostly the same. Same white/dry/hissy treble that I want to see them fix in the future. Still benefits extremely from the reversible foam mod. Its bass has the same range (approximately 100% at 50Hz, 80% at 40Hz, 50% at 30Hz, 10% at 20Hz, through my Turtle Beach USB Micro doohicky). The timbre sounds a little different, but I can't say 'better or worse' because I'm comparing a fresh pair to one with hundreds of hours on them.

The replacements arrived with thin white foam wrappings around the swivel joints that I don't remember seeing when I opened the box of the original. C.P. assured me that the foam should be there, and sounded certain that the cosmetic damage on the top of the original would not have passed through quality control at the factory, so perhaps something happened at the store where I purchased them.

The RP-21 boxes are not sealed in any way, not even with a tamper-proof sticker, so it's hard to say if it had been opened before I got them. But this is probably a rare enough case that it would not justify the cost of adding another step to the boxing process. S'alright. These are affordable for a reason.

Bottom line, I am keeping my RP-21, my dad is happy with the RP-15mc that I gave him, and I am extremely satisfied with Equation's customer service. ...If perhaps not build quality.

Bonus content:
C.P. mentioned that Equation is loving this thread, because most "Pro Audio" headphones never receive 30+ pages of discussion. 15mc, 21, and 22 are their first foray into "Hi Fi" and it has been rewarding for them. They are learning from our commentaries, dissecting Beyer pads, and so forth.

I asked if, perhaps, they had any plans to make an open-type headphone in the future. He said that there is currently no plan for an open-type, but they are doing research and design for the next model. Considering the use of memory foam pads in the future. Nothing conclusive yet, but they are looking to the future.

RP-23 has a nice ring to it, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back