EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Aug 13, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #556 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I first tried a pad switch I used the velours from my DT990s. They lasted about 30 seconds. I felt they totally destroyed the RP-21s.

Exactly my experience with the 55x pads.

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #557 of 697
You have to use either the pleather or genuine leather Beyer earpads with the RP21. Thyey will have way too little bass with the velour pads.

Aug 14, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #558 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I came into work today and an RP-21 was sitting on my desk. After listening for a couple of hours, the clamp was starting to hurt behind my ears. I tried ear pads from a pair of MB Quart 55x, which have been compared to Beyer velours, and the bass disappeared. Right now I'm using some pads from an AKG K260, which are the same as the K240. They're more comfortable that the stock pads and sound good. Are people using the pleather Beyer pads or the velours? I'd be afraid the velours would destroy the bass.

I've been using my RP-21 for about a month now. The clamping force is less than when new (a good thing), but it's still clamping harder than I'd like (a bad thing). Overall, I find myself able to use the K240S or the DT880 for much longer periods of time without any discomfort (at most, just some sweat). With the RP-21, I need to take breaks from time to time.

I'm hoping that they will clamp less over time, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if my band is fully broken in already.

Aug 14, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #559 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it very good. I do use the Beyerdynamic earpads but I get good depth and very good separation of vocals and instruments but it also depends upon what is upstream from them.

What about if I used it stock? Would it still be evident?

I'll be using it straight through my ipod. My A700s before were driven so well with the ipod...and I could point out that it had instrument separation and a soundstage (although not that big)...only thing I hated was I had to go 3/4s the ipod's volume.

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #560 of 697
Instrument separation is excellent on the RP-21s. Everything blends together just fine, but if I really want to get into a certain part of a song, it's really easy. The large soundstage is also really cool for pinpointing instrument locations, and pretty good for gaming to boot.
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #561 of 697
I find the sound amazing for headphones costing around 99 dollars. For headphones cost three times that I would still be happy. Mine have smoothed out and I enjoy everything about them. The caveat is that 1) I am using the Beyerdynamic leather earpads and 2) I use a thinner foam over the drivers.

Aug 14, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #562 of 697
The isolation is not what I was hoping for. It doesn't really isolate well enough to wear no the DC Metro, or even walking from my office to the Metro stop. I found myself turning up the volume. So I'm still searching for a nice sounding, very isolating headphone.

As far as comfort goes, my problem is the tabs on face plate (if that's what you call it). They dig into my ear lobes unless I push the headphones way back. The clamp has already eased a lot.

Aug 14, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #563 of 697
Quote:

So I'm still searching for a nice sounding, very isolating headphone.

Ah, the eternal search...
tongue.gif
Sounds like you're looking for a recabled HD25 (unless supra-aural is out of the question...and then the search continues...and continues...)

Quote:

As far as comfort goes, my problem is the tabs on face plate (if that's what you call it). They dig into my ear lobes unless I push the headphones way back. The clamp has already eased a lot.

Reports from more informed sources indicate that the thicker Beyer pads solve this problem. I don't know if you consider it worth the extra expense, but just throwing that out there...

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #564 of 697
Quote:

The isolation is not what I was hoping for. It doesn't really isolate well enough to wear no the DC Metro, or even walking from my office to the Metro stop. I found myself turning up the volume. So I'm still searching for a nice sounding, very isolating headphone.

can you tell me how bad is it? I hated my A700s because it sounded like some open cans when I took them for a bus ride one day.

I think I might just have to really get some IEMs...

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #565 of 697
I find the RP-21's isolate very, very well. So much so that if the person sitting across from me, 3 feet away, talks to me during a quiet section of the music I still do not hear her, which pisses her off. I also find the 21's comfortable for long periods of time.

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #566 of 697
My RP-21s isolate almost too well with music playing. I can't hear what my wife is saying when she talks to me. It drives her bonkers. Now, I'm not saying these are "drive out airline engine noise" type of isolation. If you want that then use IEMs.

Aug 14, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #567 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, the eternal search...
tongue.gif
Sounds like you're looking for a recabled HD25 (unless supra-aural is out of the question...and then the search continues...and continues...)

Reports from more informed sources indicate that the thicker Beyer pads solve this problem. I don't know if you consider it worth the extra expense, but just throwing that out there...

I might try the HD25. The best isolation that I've heard is the HD280, but it doesn't sound great. It isolates better than my IEMs. I can't hear a phone ring. My other option is the AT noise canceling headphones which is about the same price as the HD25.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the RP-21's isolate very, very well. So much so that if the person sitting across from me, 3 feet away, talks to me during a quiet section of the music I still do not hear her, which pisses her off. I also find the 21's comfortable for long periods of time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My RP-21s isolate almost too well with music playing. I can't hear what my wife is saying when she talks to me. It drives her bonkers. Now, I'm not saying these are "drive out airline engine noise" type of isolation. If you want that then use IEMs.

Do you use Beyer pleather pads? I could hear people talking when I walked by them on the street. For me, it isolates fairly well in the high frequencies, but almost not at all on low frequencies. The rumble of traffic or a Metro train was almost as loud with the headphones as without. I'm thinking that maybe Beyer pleather pads might be better.

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #568 of 697
Reading back through the thread, I'm confused. People are using Beyer ear pads from the 770, 880, and 990. I thought the 770 had different ear pads then the 880 and 990. Which is the best fit?

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #569 of 697
Quote:

Reading back through the thread, I'm confused. People are using Beyer ear pads from the 770, 880, and 990. I thought the 770 had different ear pads then the 880 and 990. Which is the best fit?

All three models share the same type of earpads.

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #570 of 697
These phones look like they'll be my very audio purchase

Users who are viewing this thread

Back