EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Jul 22, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #526 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my velour pads on my RP21, defoamed of course.

seriously? what mod did you do to the rp21 except from removing the foam and using velour, did you use a diy cable?

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #527 of 697
I like my RP-21 better now with the pleather pads from DT880/990. Comfort is up, and sound quality as well (because the beyer pads are "open" into the driver/foam perhaps).

I also think the bass quantity has become better. More bass than my DT880 sure, but I no longer find it intrusive. At least on rather low listening volume it is very enjoyable for me.

A note on my personal preference though:
I might like the bass level slightly lower in a mix than many people. I've often EQ'd my RP21 -4 to -6 db from about 100Hz and below. I hate when the bass stands out in a mix where it is obviously not a main/solo instrument. I hate when the bass becomes even ever-so-slightly boomy. Especially bass with little to no overtones (i.e sounds like a low freq. sine wave).

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #529 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by MentalEclipse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think these may be the phones for me. The only other pair I'm concidering is the hd25-1.

Do the RP-21s have any qualitys that are "better" then the hd25-1s?

Sure - I find circum-aural headphones more comfortable that supra-aural.

In terms of SQ, the HD25-1 is much better in every respect, IMO.

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #530 of 697
I have about 72 hours of burn-in time on my RP-21's so far, which I purchased from Full Compass. Sound does change throughout burn-in, but it's certainly a gradual rather than a drastic change. Here are my observations, many of which may have been posted earlier in this thread.

1. Clamped way too hard out of the box, literally made my head hurt. During burn-in, I laid them flat (with the drivers rotated 90 degrees). As others have mentioned, this stretches out the headband. After about 72 hours of burn-in in this position, they clamp just right -- strong enough to keep the closed design sealed against your head/ears, but not so strong that it hurts. Comfort is very good after this break-in procedure. It's a closed design, so fresh air doesn't get to the ears, and my ears tend to sweat a little bit from getting warm after about 15 minutes of listening.

2. Sound quality is very good for the price paid. Without quoting the dollar amount, I'll say that I paid the same amount for these as I did the AKG K240S from Amazon.com. Both are good headphones, but I would suspect the average HeadFi-er to prefer the sound signature of the RP-21 for the following reasons:

- RP-21 is more netural than the K240S
- RP-21 is more detailed, accurate, and has a better (wider) soundstage than the K240S.
- RP-21 has a Grado-like approach to reproducing guitar-type sounds, whereas the K240S has trouble keeping up with any types of fast rock/guitar music
- RP-21 seems to sound better across a wider range of music types, K240S seems to work best with slower music with strong (but slow) bass
- RP-21 sounds better without a headphone amp than the K240S
- RP-21 sounds more like an open headphone than the K240S (this is striking, because the RP-21 is closed, whereas the K240S is semi-open)

However, one should note that the sound signature does have certain flaws. I think Skylab summarized the flaws best in this thread -- most of the flaws seem to be in the treble range. Also, there may not be enough bass with a weak source (compared to say a Grado), although there is adequate and accurate bass when amped.

3. Construction seems very durable. The materials remind me of the kind of materials used in older Japanese cars. They're not the most fun to look at or touch, but they're sure durable, hard to damage, and function well. They seem to be designed with the studio user in mind, where the cans would be thrown to the side when not in use. This bodes well for the casual user, because they are likely to be more durable than we'd ever need them to be.

4. Isolation seems very good. However, I should note that this is my first full-sized closed can. They certainly have better isolation than the supra-aural Senn PX-200 (although they are generally less comfortable and heavier due to their circum-aural design). For home use, I think they have TOO much isolation. I cannot even hear my cell phone ring, and I wouldn't want to have left something on the stove by accident when wearing these. I think they would be good for use in a library or workplace, since isolation is very high. Although they do not fold into a very compact shape, I would probably not mind rotating the drivers to the flat position and throwing them into my bookbag to use them with my laptop or DAP.

Summary/Conclusion: I was very impressed with the RP-21. Without stating my purchase price, I would say they sound more expensive than they are, which is a compliment for Equation Audio. To summarize my comments above, they are not the most neutral can, nor are they the most fun. Instead, they offer a good balance between the two. They seem accurate enough to be appreciated by audiophiles, but they couldn't be considered true hi-fi headphones. Their strongest attributes are that they are closed, offering good isolation, but with a sound signature that has the feel of an open design. Most importantly, the RP-21 should appeal to value-conscious buyers like students, since they represent good value for money.

So far, I'm satisifed with my purchase, especially with the versatility of these headphones. They sound decent running out of my headphone amp, but they don't sound much worse when running out of the headphone jack of my laptop or E-MU 0404 USB. If anything, my experience with the RP-21 has shown me what a pleasant sound signature is possible from a closed design. I would be in interested in looking into more expensive closed cans in the future (to use at the library or work), such as the Denon D2000 or ATH-A900.

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #531 of 697
Quick note on comfort, to elaborate on my earlier post.

Generally, I think the RP-21 are adequately comfortable. But after 2-3 songs (roughly 15 minutes or so), I do start to notice the warmth on my ears and a little bit of sweat. I feel the urge to take off the headphones for a few seconds to cool off, and then put them back on. I'm uncertain whether this is a feature of all closed headphones, but I suspect not, because of the differences in the sizes of various closed headphones.

Surprisingly, my semi-open K240S are more comfortable in the long haul. Both of these cans are relatively small for circumaural headphones, but the RP-21 seem to be slightly smaller, with less breathing room for the outer ear compared to the K240S. In fact, as others have posted, it's common for the outer ear to be touching the inside of the foam headphone pad, which may add to long-term discomfort. Some have complained about this with the K240S as well, but I personally haven't had that problem. So the K240S wins on long-term comfort.

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #533 of 697
I just bought my RP-21s today, and so far I'm "very" impressed. I'm glad I went with these phones for mixing because they have terrific isolation and I can really "get into" my music while I'm working on it. The soundstage is also very nice right out of the box, and I've been enjoying listening to a mix of "Hard Jungle/DN'B" and some "Classical". I'm really enjoying these phones but I'm going to wait till they are more "burned-in" before I give an in-depth analysis of them.

Jul 25, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #534 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by MentalEclipse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought my RP-21s today, and so far I'm "very" impressed. I'm glad I went with these phones for mixing because they have terrific isolation and I can really "get into" my music while I'm working on it. The soundstage is also very nice right out of the box, and I've been enjoying listening to a mix of "Hard Jungle/DN'B" and some "Classical". I'm really enjoying these phones but I'm going to wait till they are more "burned-in" before I give an in-depth analysis of them.

I agree. I think that their strengths would be for recording/mixing/playback, portable listening, and possibly work/library (although people might look at you funny). I would also say they are not audiophile, but they were never intended to be audiophile.

I was thinking about buying a more expensive, more audiophile-quality closed headphone, but then I thought about all the advantages of going with a lower cost headphone. With the RP-21, I can throw em in my backpack, accidentally scratch the plastic housing, and not have a heart attack if they were ever lost or stolen. I can't say the same for any of the other cans I own. Although the design of the Grados are similar (swiveling drivers), I don't feel comfortable putting them in my backpack with books for fear of damaging them, either cosmetically or mechanically.

Jul 27, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #535 of 697
I’ve had the RP-21s for a few days now and I thought I’d give my own take on these phones…

First off, these phones have excellent soundstage for closed phones. This makes it perfect for producers and mixers because it makes all the tiny details and panning very clear. Since I work with “panning” sounds often in my own tracks, I’ve been really impressed with the clarity in which sounds “move” from the right to left speaker. The isolation is also excellent.

The bass on these phones is perhaps what I like most. It’s very accurate to the source with only a tiny “kick” to make things more noticeable. Most of the sound is pretty flat and neutral, however that’s exactly what I wanted in these phones.The upper-mids may be a “little” suppressed, however they make the listening and mixing experience a bit more comforting for my ears. The highs sound nice and clear without being overly “bright”. I consider myself more of a “basshead”, so I'm really drawn to the sound of these.

The feel and comfort of these phones will strongly depend on the person. I’ve never worn a pair of “Around the Ear” phones before so it took a while to get used to them. After a few days, these seem much more comfortable. They don’t clamp "to hard" on the head, but I may get the “Bayer” pads simply for my own personal comfort. Overall though, I’m impressed with the feel of these phones even if they do make my ears a little hot after a few “hours” of mixing.

Jul 27, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #536 of 697
im eyeing the denon d1000s or these ones...but for my budget, it looks like these headphones are getting my attention.

...i just hoped they changed that mettalic orange color into some more neutral color :/

Jul 27, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #537 of 697
The orange is not nearly as offensive in person as it looks in the photos.

Well OK, the box is, but the cans themselves aren't.
smily_headphones1.gif

You could always paint them if you don't like it.

Aug 2, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #539 of 697
Just wanted to post an update to my OP and say what great good fun this post has been. When I did the original review I was really excited about finding the Equation Audio line of headphones. I continue to spend a lot of time listening and enjoying much more than I ever have. Not to say that the Equations are the Holy Grail but just that they have given me great satisfaction and that my impressions have been verified and refined by everyone here at Head-Fi is quite gratifying.

Has anyone noticed how popular the Copper color used on the RP-21 and 15 has become. Since getting the 21's I have been seeing this color on many new vehicles.

This post has been remarkable in it's positivity and intelligent dialogs. I hope that the Equation Audio headphones are here to stay as a viable musical addition to this hobby/obsession
smily_headphones1.gif
. It has been several months so I guess the FOTM designation given to the RP-21's and Equation Audio as new comers to the scene can be up-graded to: a name to consider when thinking about headphones.With that I would like to be the first, as far as I know, to add 'Team Equation Audio' to my signature.

As far as my current experience with the Equations: My music listen time has increased many fold and music appreciation is better than ever. This credited I believe to the overall excellent presentation and performance from my Equations. As I have said in other posts, I have listened to several good headphones over the years but my Equations somehow just do it for me, capture me with their performance. They seem to offer the right 'Equation' for my ear.

Go Team Equation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back