EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Aug 12, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #541 of 697
Not meaning to dabble in thread necromancy, but I just de-foamed my RP-21's, and I'm very pleased with the results. A lot of my comfort gripes about the RP-21's came from the foam pads pressing on my ears, and that issue is now solved. As for the sound... Wow! It's like these things just chugged a Red Bull, because the sound is about twice as energetic and vibrant as it was before. The treble is very clear now, and everything is a lot less muffled. Thanks for the idea, Head-Fi!

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #542 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Where can I buy Beyer pads?"

http://northern-america.beyerdynamic...05.0.html?&L=1

Yeah, where exactly. I've searched this massive thread and can't find the link. The link here doesn't show any pads. Please help!

Also, I removed the foam on mine too when I started to hear the mids a little too recessed and the bass was a little too much. Removing the foam really helped out alot - especially with the bass which is not so dominant now. The sound was a weee bit edgy so I used the foam from some Delta cheap headphones they give you on the plane. They fit perfectly with no modification (they are very similar to the KSC75 foam). The sound is where I would like it (not perfect but the best its going to get without EQ) and I'm overall happy. Now, I would like for the phones to be more comfortable.

Aug 12, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #543 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, where exactly. I've searched this massive thread and can't find the link. The link here doesn't show any pads. Please help!

From that link. Click dt770, I'm assuming you want the 770pads and not the 880-990 . There will be a pdf file on that page. Open it and it will list the part number for replacement pads. On the bottom of all those pages is the contact information for Beyer-dynamic usa. Phone# fax# and email.
EDT 770 V Ear pads, velours, circumaural, silver-grey . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Order # 926.660
Thats straight from the pdf

Also on sound/removing foam. I removed my foam and had the same basic results as others. I then rewired and recabled mine. I had to put the foam back in after this because the highs were too "in your face". I am very pleased with the outcome after the rewire. They just sound so much more fuller and it seems they have a wider response range. I am horrible at description, I just know I like them better after the change.

Aug 12, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #544 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here you go. Forget about the leather ones. You can only get those with a purchase of Manufaktur special order hps or on the FS board on occasion (which is how I got mine
evil_smiley.gif
). You can contact Beyerdynamic themselves as well which is how I got my replacement driver.

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #545 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here you go. Forget about the leather ones. You can only get those with a purchase of Manufaktur special order hps or on the FS board on occasion (which is how I got mine
evil_smiley.gif
). You can contact Beyerdynamic themselves as well which is how I got my replacement driver.

Yeah, thats what I'm looking for. Had that link at one time and then lost it. Thanks again!
orphsmile.gif

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #546 of 697
How much deeper are those vinyl ones compared to the stock earpads? The stock ones still let my ears touch the grates around the drivers, just a little bit, so if the new pads are deep enough, I'll be very happy.
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #547 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aar0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much deeper are those vinyl ones compared to the stock earpads? The stock ones still let my ears touch the grates around the drivers, just a little bit, so if the new pads are deep enough, I'll be very happy.
biggrin.gif

That is one of the MAJOR advantages of the Beyer pads - they prevent the ear-touch thing from happening.

Aug 12, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #548 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aar0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

I would say it is not quite twice as thick but close to it.

Aug 13, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #551 of 697
I find it very good. I do use the Beyerdynamic earpads but I get good depth and very good separation of vocals and instruments but it also depends upon what is upstream from them.

Aug 13, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #552 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it very good. I do use the Beyerdynamic earpads but I get good depth and very good separation of vocals and instruments but it also depends upon what is upstream from them.

Agree here. Remember, the RP-21s are first and foremost monitors so the ability to separate and hone in on specifics is pretty important. I was surprised at the soundstage myself for a closed can at this price point. Don't expect huge but surprisingly nice.

Aug 13, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #553 of 697
I came into work today and an RP-21 was sitting on my desk. After listening for a couple of hours, the clamp was starting to hurt behind my ears. I tried ear pads from a pair of MB Quart 55x, which have been compared to Beyer velours, and the bass disappeared. Right now I'm using some pads from an AKG K260, which are the same as the K240. They're more comfortable that the stock pads and sound good. Are people using the pleather Beyer pads or the velours? I'd be afraid the velours would destroy the bass.

Aug 13, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #554 of 697
When I first tried a pad switch I used the velours from my DT990s. They lasted about 30 seconds. I felt they totally destroyed the RP-21s. From what I've read, many agree though I know there is at least one Head-Fi'er that actually prefers the velour. Long-winded answer. In other words, I believe most people are using pleather. I happened to be using leather since I scored a pair on the FS board.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #555 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I first tried a pad switch I used the velours from my DT990s. They lasted about 30 seconds. I felt they totally destroyed the RP-21s. From what I've read, many agree though I know there is at least one Head-Fi'er that actually prefers the velour. Long-winded answer. In other words, I believe most people are using pleather. I happened to be using leather since I scored a pair on the FS board.
evil_smiley.gif

You should see his closet, everything's leather! Well there's a bit of Spandex too.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back