EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
May 1, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #106 of 697
confused.gif

May 1, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #108 of 697
Congrats! What this means, of course, is that I will now be listening vicariously through you...
wink.gif
Be sure to post some gratuitous impressions.
rs1smile.gif

Question for you RP-21 owners: I realize they are not billed as "foldable" (while the RP-15MCs explicitly are), but is there any foldability present in the design? The hinges look like they could allow the earcups to swivel into the recess of the headband, but obviously pictures don't tell much of the story.

Also, have any of you taken them on portable duties? How is their weight in such cases? How do they sound unamped?

May 1, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #109 of 697
As I said in my other thread I'm new to this so my opinion won't be worth much, but I'll post what I can. Maybe I should just play some music through them and record it with my PC's mic, then upload the file so everyone can hear how good they are. Of course I'll encode it at a 64kb/s rate to save space :p
eggosmile.gif

May 1, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #110 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by kondor-11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I said in my other thread I'm new to this so my opinion won't be worth much, but I'll post what I can. Maybe I should just play some music through them and record it with my PC's mic, then upload the file so everyone can hear how good they are. Of course I'll encode it at a 64kb/s rate to save space :p
eggosmile.gif

Heh heh. Do it.

I must say, whether you're new to headphonephilia or an old, broke addict up to your knees in cans, your opinions are always appreciated. Contextualizing (as in, "This is the first time I've used my ears. These $7 headphones sound AMAZING!!!!") helps too.

May 1, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #111 of 697
Hi,
RE: amped or un-amped, The Equations are a 32ohm headphone and are driven well from a PCDP. I have the Sony D-33 and 34 both do a nice job driving the Equations. I have amped the Equations with a Grado, iBasso P-1 and a Rockhopper Audio Millett Hybrid. The amps polish every thing up. The amped equation is clean. With the listening parameters, nuance if you will, clarified. Just what you would expect from an amp. IMHO you can expect the Equations to sound very good from a good un-amped source and amped the Equation is just delightful.

RE:electronic/synthpop, no I haven't- perhaps the closest thing to it for me is some Bill Frisell and Paul Motian electronic Jazz stuff. IMHO I think the RP-21 would be a wise choice. I think it's a bit of a miss conception for us to think the X22 has more bass as the distinction between the two (RP-21 and RP-22x) the 21 has some very deep, thundering bass as does the X22. The X22 has a different SQ to it. I think of it as softer smoother more velvet? The X22 is my go to headphone for the music I like 50's Jazz minimal mics. and analogue. The 21 will do everything nicely.I can't really comment on the specific music style.

May 1, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #113 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many thanks for the link, Debaser86. Can anyone provide links to places that sell replacement cables (without listing their prices here, of course
wink.gif
)? If I end up springing for either these or the RP-21s (or both
eek.gif
), looks like I'll need to shorten the cable up for portable use...but I want to have a spare around before I perform any surgery. I wonder, given the miniplug-to-earcup design, if Sennheiser HD485 cables would fit (although they'd need shortening too...just looking at options).

I have a small pile of HD485 cables and i believe they will fit the RP21, but obviously won't twist-lock.

I don't think they'd be in much danger of falling out, either, unless you pull on 'em.

If you want i can actually try plugging them into redbeard's rp21's some day this week.

May 1, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #114 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by dandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RP-21 and RP 22X have ear cups that rotate 90 degrees like a Grado for example. So they lay flat in a suite case, more or less.

I see. But they don't swivel up into the headband (a la the MDR-V6), eh?

EDIT: ericj, yes, please do try the HD485 cables with your RP-21! I'd be interested to hear both how they fit and how they sound (if they fit).

May 1, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #115 of 697
Quote:

I see. But they don't swivel up into the headband (a la the MDR-V6), eh?

EDIT: ericj, yes, please do try the HD485 cables with your RP-21! I'd be interested to hear both how they fit and how they sound (if they fit).

Well, they're not my RP-21. They're redbeardatxm's. He lives a scant 2 miles from me, so i could swing by there after work maybe. I was just over there last night selling him a pair of K141-M's to help finance my QP85 purchase. Gonna try and foist off my old MDR-V600 on ebay, too.

This whole concept of *selling headphones is unsettling, but the east berlin spy network showed me where i could get a once-in-a-lifetime deal on the QP85, and i just bought a Stax SR-84 Pro kit last week.

Edit: Oh, and don't expect me to say they sound different. I listen to amps (that i built), not to cables.

May 1, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #116 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: Oh, and don't expect me to say they sound different. I listen to amps (that i built), not to cables.

All right then. I just wasn't sure how high- or low-quality the HD485 cable might actually be. I have no problems with it (I'm not a cable-listener myself...hell, I'm hardly an amp-listener
eek.gif
), but I figured if a difference was noticeable it would be something worth relating. Congrats on the QP85!

May 1, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #117 of 697
Wow! Great timing this morning by the UPS guy. So this morning I'm leaving to go on campus a little early because I had a midterm, but right as I'm putting my stuff in the car I see a UPS truck come around the corner. So I think to myself "hmm... should I risk being late to my midterm and see if my RP-15MCs came today...?" Well, I wouldn't be a true Head-Fier unless I stayed, so after he pulled over to the side and went to make his first delivery I wait around for him to get back and, sure enough, there's a package for me. So I sign for it and run back to my apartment quickly and crack them open, put them on my head, then run back to my car and go to school.

Ok, so, I got on campus just in time for my midterm, which I just finished about half an hour ago, so I haven't had much time with my new cans yet but my initial impressions are that these are really awesome headphones for the price. Of course, I'll wait until they burn-in some more before I make any definite conclusions on them, but, man, they sound great right out of the box being run straight from my Ipod's headphone jack. Mids and bass are great, not muddy like K81djs, but the highs do seem to roll off (cymbals don't sound as good as they could, but maybe burn-in will fix this). Soundstage is similar in size to K81djs, maybe a little bigger, I'll need to do some comparisons later. One thing I keep noticing is how great percussion instruments sound; drums sound very clear and have a lot of oomph. I'm really impressed with these.

Oh, and I love how they fold up into such a tiny little ball. The detachable cable is great too. And the build quality seems very sturdy, so I wouldn't need to worry at all about just folding them up and sticking them into my backpack. This is especially good, because they aren't very neck-able. They even fit in my jacket pocket. These could become my new main portable cans, though I'll need to do something about the length of the cord.

May 1, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #118 of 697
RE: after market cable. Audio Advisor has the Audioquest mini 1 and mini 2 ipod cable FS very cheap. I bought the 3 meter mini 2 thinking it might just pop into the Equation but no it did not. If I wasn't so cheap I would have taken out my knife and tried to carve down the covering over the connector to get it to fit. How would it sound??? It is an IC cable so perhaps I was just barking up the wrong tree any way. I returned the cable to AA.

May 1, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #119 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I'll wait until they burn-in some more before I make any definite conclusions on them, but, man, they sound great right out of the box being run straight from my Ipod's headphone jack. Mids and bass are great, not muddy like K81djs, but the highs do seem to roll off (cymbals don't sound as good as they could, but maybe burn-in will fix this)...

It's interesting that a couple of users now have commented on the RP-15MCs lacking highs, despite them being marketed as the EA model with hyped highs...I wonder if an underpowered source might be a factor? I'd be curious to see how they improve both with burn-in (unamped) as well as with an amp.

May 2, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #120 of 697
Quote:

Many thanks for the link, Debaser86. Can anyone provide links to places that sell replacement cables (without listing their prices here, of course
wink.gif
)? If I end up springing for either these or the RP-21s (or both
eek.gif
), looks like I'll need to shorten the cable up for portable use...but I want to have a spare around before I perform any surgery. I wonder, given the miniplug-to-earcup design, if Sennheiser HD485 cables would fit (although they'd need shortening too...just looking at options).

Send a PM to Fitz, he can build you a nice 1.5 meter (or whatever length) you want. I am thinking of getting and asking Fitz to build a 1.5 meter silver plated copper cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back