EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Apr 24, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #76 of 697
Wouldn't mind knowing how these compare to K240s or HD280s or MDR-V6 (which didn't work well for my own personal "studio" application) though I doubt there will be any comparos between these 3 segment choices. The new Audio-Technica M50 is also a new entry in this segment (though I suppose is a more direct competitor with K271S) which I can't find anything about.

Lots of choices and very difficult to find out what the best selection would be. So is the way of headphones I guess...
blink.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #77 of 697
This is the holy grail.

These headphones beat ALL OTHER headphones!

Anyway
biggrin.gif
-ordered a pair (RP-21) -I'm simply to curious on this genetic experiment; half car, half orange, half headphone = 1½ holy grail. Cool
cool.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #79 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't mind knowing how these compare to K240s or ...

hehe. I might pop up to school in the next week or so and see how the 15 fares agains the 240.

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #80 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by niknik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the holy grail.

These headphones beat ALL OTHER headphones!

Anyway
biggrin.gif
-ordered a pair (RP-21) -I'm simply to curious on this genetic experiment; half car, half orange, half headphone = 1½ holy grail. Cool
cool.gif

For being 60-70's camaro, it counts as full 2 holy grail actually.
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #83 of 697
EE_RP_21_8.sized.jpg

That driver looks familiar. Koss, maybe? I'm willing to bet it's not sourced from Senn, AKG, or Beyer. It looks something like an A250 driver, but without the telltale ribs. Same four little holes in the metal backing, though, which similar-looking AT MB, or Ergo drivers don't have. (actually, I bet the Ergo drivers are from MB) Apart from the obviously serious driver, the housing looks pretty rudimentary, standard "DJ" look with bulky plastic hinges and integral headband, no inner damping or clever sonic characteristics. But maybe you don't need them if you've got some really good drivers.

edit: I notice the Equation website says "We don't hide our various national involvements, we celebrate them . ." It also mentions a lot about in-house design of the microphone cartridges. So, hey Dave, are those in-house transducers, or proudly sourced through some sort of international involvement?

Apr 29, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #84 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't mind knowing how these compare to K240s or HD280s or MDR-V6 (which didn't work well for my own personal "studio" application) though I doubt there will be any comparos between these 3 segment choices.

My experience so far would be this: The V6 used to tap me at about 75-90 minutes for the balance of the day, and the RP-21 does not tap me at any point to date (3-4 hours)... and does not need an amp. They do remind me a LOT of my HD600, but any comparisons to estats would be unfair.

I wanted a closed can for travel, that didn't need an amp, and I would not be devastated if TSA (or their foreign counterparts) happened to keep them for a few weeks. This has met my goals to the point I felt comfy adding them to my sig.

BTW, price, delivered (shipped) to me, in state, with sales tax, was an absolute no brainer, cost wise.

Finally, my only design request would be for thicker pads, a la, Sennheiser... which would probably impact the sound, but I'm just so used to the driver spacing off my ears... it would definitely be an option I would pay for.

Apr 29, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #85 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Photos of my Equation RP-21 headphones and my (well-worn) Sennheiser HD600s.

I hesitate to compare them to my Sennheiser HD600s (which cost significantly more), but since you asked...
  1. The RP-21s are brighter than the HD600s but not annoyingly so.
  2. The RP-21s have more oomph at the low end than the HD600s.
  3. The RP-21s are front row at a concert in Blue Man Group's "The Complex" tour; the HD600s are balcony seats at the Boston Philharmonic.
  4. The RP-21s are comfortable; the HD600s are more comfortable.
  5. The RP-21s can survive without an amp; the HD600s definitely can't.
  6. The RP-21s are a bit tacky looking (I call them "the orangephones"); the HD600s are unassuming.

The RP-21s aren't the pinnacle of audio achievement, but I think they are a good value.

x2 - I concur 98% - thanks for saving me the need to post impressions and comparisons.

Apr 29, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #86 of 697
Does anyone know how the rp15's would compare to the k81dj's?
Also, are they circumaural or supra-aural?

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #88 of 697
For once, we don't have to be AS sorry about your wallet...
evil_smiley.gif

Caveat, everyone: I have NOT heard these cans with an amp, so YMMV.

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #89 of 697
Hello to all! Its me Dave.... I am quickly going to answer some questions regarding Equation Audio EarTools Headphone products.

The RP-21 Stereo Reference Headphones feature 50mm proprietary transducers. Made to satisfy pro audio needs for real time monitoring of live stage or studio audio applications. Feel free to duck tape a pair of 4 ohm studio monitors to your head for comparison from our point of view.

Equation proprietary products are currently made by our business partner at their facilities in China and Taiwan. If our EarTools products were someone elses work and being simply re-badged as Equation products, I personally would not be a part of this endeavor.

Our RP-15 MCs are Mid sized Circumaural earcups, ala older military style ovals. They may not cover your entire ear but do provided needed isolation for live music applications, when compared to a Sony 7506. Not as hyped in the 8K- 10K frequency range as the 7506 so you won't get the earburn.

Ear pads are user replacable. We will consider requests for a thicker, velour-type, ear pads for your eargasmic pleasures. May not be soon but definately not out of the picture.

Thanks for your support and questions, gotta run.

Dave Sears - Equation Audio (www.equationaudio.com)

Apr 30, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #90 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experience so far would be this: The V6 used to tap me at about 75-90 minutes for the balance of the day, and the RP-21 does not tap me at any point to date (3-4 hours)... and does not need an amp. They do remind me a LOT of my HD600, but any comparisons to estats would be unfair.

so if your dont tap (i take it to mean grooving with the music) with the rp-21, does that mean you like the v6 better?

btw, do your ears get hot with prolonged use, like 2-3 hours, since they are closed phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back