EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Apr 30, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #91 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so if your dont tap (i take it to mean grooving with the music) with the rp-21, does that mean you like the v6 better?

I think he means listening fatigue, but I'm not sure. I do know from the wording that he's not talking in the foot-tapping sense though.

May 1, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #94 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to the RP21 last Saturday for a second time and I can say that they sound fantastic and give the HD600 a run for the half the cost.

Whoa! Now there's quite a statement!

May 1, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #95 of 697
I ordered a pair of RP-15MCs about two weeks ago and I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival! It's almost too much, I'm so used to the ultra-fast shipping of Amazon and fellow Head-Fiers on the FS forum that actually having to wait the standard "2-3 weeks" for delivery is killing me
frown.gif

May 1, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #97 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered a pair of RP-15MCs about two weeks ago and I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival! It's almost too much, I'm so used to the ultra-fast shipping of Amazon and fellow Head-Fiers on the FS forum that actually having to wait the standard "2-3 weeks" for delivery is killing me
frown.gif

Where did you order from? I'm having a bit of trouble finding online vendors for the RP-15 model.

May 1, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #98 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you order from? I'm having a bit of trouble finding online vendors for the RP-15 model.

I ordered them from Morrison Brothers Music. Do a search for Equation Audio and they should show up as the only result.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #99 of 697
Hello All ..... Dave here again.
Quick reminder to please not post your purchase prices in this forum. Our retail price catalog is downloadable from a link I posted ealieir in this forum. I can appreciate your great deals from our dealers, please keep our dealers out of trouble by NOT posting your purchase price. We have a Dealer MAP policy. You can also email dsears@equationaudio.com for a dealer nearest you. Thanks for your cooperation. Happy Listening!
Dave Sears - Equation Audio

May 1, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #100 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered them from Morrison Brothers Music. It was also the cheapest place I could find that sold them, as they are currently on sale there for only $xx.xx. Do a search for Equation Audio and they should show up as the only result.
smily_headphones1.gif

Many thanks for the link, Debaser86. Can anyone provide links to places that sell replacement cables (without listing their prices here, of course
wink.gif
)? If I end up springing for either these or the RP-21s (or both
eek.gif
), looks like I'll need to shorten the cable up for portable use...but I want to have a spare around before I perform any surgery. I wonder, given the miniplug-to-earcup design, if Sennheiser HD485 cables would fit (although they'd need shortening too...just looking at options).

May 1, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #101 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many thanks for the link, Debaser86. Can anyone provide links to places that sell replacement cables (without listing their prices here, of course
wink.gif
)? If I end up springing for either these or the RP-21s (or both
eek.gif
), looks like I'll need to shorten the cable up for portable use...but I want to have a spare around before I perform any surgery. I wonder, given the miniplug-to-earcup design, if Sennheiser HD485 cables would fit (although they'd need shortening too...just looking at options).

Why not just buy a $4 cable turtle?

May 1, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #102 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just buy a $4 cable turtle?

I believe there is a proprietary "snapping" mechanism that connects the end of the cable to the headphones, and that's where the problem lies as far as I can gather.

Man, I had my mind set on the RP21s, but with the RP15s having some good deals around I don't know what to get now. Can someone please compare the two?

May 1, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #103 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by kondor-11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe there is a proprietary "snapping" mechanism that connects the end of the cable to the headphones, and that's where the problem lies as far as I can gather.

Man, I had my mind set on the RP21s, but with the RP15s having some good deals around I don't know what to get now. Can someone please compare the two?

Yes, please...(in addition to dandi, whose efforts are greatly appreciated and the reason we're all here)...

kondor-11, I was looking at some pics, and I wondered if the shape of the connector would be an issue. I suppose that means any cable modifications will be limited to the stock cables themselves. As for the cable turtle possibility, I'm not a fan. Too much bulk and heft at an awkward location for non-stationary listening. I tried one with my K81DJ and it bounced with my steps far too much, and wasn't appropriately pocketable, so I ended up going with a velcro cable tie instead. Now that I own the ATH-SJ5, its portable-friendly cable length has made me appreciate having a properly-sized cable to begin with. Simply less of a hassle.

May 1, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #104 of 697
Hi Kondor-11, Please read back to my postings in the earlier pages of this forum. If you like the hyped brightness of a Sony 7506 try the RP-15 and save your ears for future use. If you intend to use headphones for recording/music instruction from CD/live monitoring applications or just want something you will not be dissapointed with then go with the RP-21. If you prefer a smaller mid-sized ear cup go with the RP-15MC, the RP-21 is a full circumaural heaphone. Both offer great isolation. Both will not dissapoint you or your wallet.

May 1, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #105 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sybrsound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Kondor-11, Please read back to my postings in the earlier pages of this forum. If you like the hyped brightness of a Sony 7506 try the RP-15 and save your ears for future use. If you intend to use headphones for recording/music instruction from CD/live monitoring applications or just want something you will not be dissapointed with then go with the RP-21. If you prefer a smaller mid-sized ear cup go with the RP-15MC, the RP-21 is a full circumaural heaphone. Both offer great isolation. Both will not dissapoint you or your wallet.

I've never heard the 7506s, since I'm completely new to "real" audio quality. What do you mean by saving ears for future use though?

Right now I'm leaning towards getting the RP-21s.

I am curious though. From what I can gather, these cans are relatively low-resistance (also referred to as low impedance?) rated at what was it 32 ohms? I'm assuming this means they are easier to drive and wouldn't need an amp in applications where other higher resistance phones would? That said, has anyone done a comparison with the 21s amped and unamped? What's a good entry-level amp for portable use? So much too learn, so little patience. I want hifi SQ now!!
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back