ENIGMAcoustics Dharma
Feb 12, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #1,141 of 1,237
@knowwhatimean:

OT, but I was looking at the Rothwell Attenuators, it seems most believe they make no or very little sonic impact, whereas I read another review that seemed to indicate they change the sound quite a bit (taking away highs).  Did you compare the Rothwell's versus attenuation in software (through iTunes or other audio software)?

I can only go by the results that I've had using them , which I feel have been a help in my regaining a bit more volume wiggle from my headphone amp.

Before using the Attentuators I normally ran out of useable volume by the time I moved my volume control to 9 o'Clock or so before I would be listening to music that Is a bit louder than I care to listen to. 95% of the time I'm listening to Acoustic music that contains a high amount of dynamic contrast in it. Your stuck between listening at at a slightly reduced listening level if you want to avoid becoming ear fatigued sooner than you'd prefer when you're listening to Orchestral music.

With the Rothwells in place I'm able to advance the volume up to anywhere between 11 to 1 o'Clock in most cases. More importantly I may have a half to 3/4 inch of fine adjustment volume control travel available to
work with, rather than the 1/8 to 1/16 " of adjustment I had previously. I do have to be honest here though & admit that that I ended up getting a second set of the Attentuators as the -12db(or were they -15) was'nt quite enough. I believe I'm using about -32db attentuation between the additional pair which I've piggybacked to the first set. I don't know how well this would be working if I didn't have a very low noisefloor to my playback system In place. ( I'm not sure I would have even tried using these without this very dead silent noisefloor in front of everything)

I ended up spending a bit over $100 on the two sets, but I've spent more on NOS tube sets that weren't nearly as sucessful upgrades as these turn out to be. They really aren't intended to have much "sonic impact" they'r.more about having more the ability to make much finer incremental adjustments where needed. I'm not using a qPC playback frontend so a software solution would be pretty difficult to use for my playback chain.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #1,143 of 1,237
Much as I like this headphone and I'm surprised at how well it holds up against a bevy of others, I do wonder if they hit their peak rather quickly and easily. Early impressions are that the Dharma is not only relatively easy to drive, but stays pretty much in character. In other words, differences were not immediately striking from a portable to a desktop setup, where often they are. The Dharma would be in solid company, as the LCD series remain the standard bearer (imo) of quick peaking,

*Grain of salt and all that, as I've only listened briefly on a pair of setups (CLAS Solo DB > Duet, WA7, Lampi 5> ECBA).

Feb 20, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #1,144 of 1,237
The Dharma with Dekoni premium pads for Beyerdynamic (with the inner cloth filter of the pads removed -- cut off actually). This really improves the comfort of the Dharma and, IMO, make the low-end sounds a bit better and more controlled.

Now I'm enjoying this headphone even more. One of my best cans, definitely.

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #1,145 of 1,237
  The Dharma with Dekoni premium pads for Beyerdynamic (with the inner cloth filter of the pads removed -- cut off actually). This really improves the comfort of the Dharma and, IMO, make the low-end sounds a bit better and more controlled.

Now I'm enjoying this headphone even more. One of my best cans, definitely.

Nice work.  I would say that's the one thing the Dharma needs - better, deeper pads.  I have tried four others on my pair - HM5, HM5 angled, Alpha's and Audeze lambskin (which is my favorite).  All aftermarket pads definitely helped the bass on this excellent headphone. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #1,146 of 1,237
Oregonian:

I continue to enjoy my Enigmacoustic Dharma headphones using a Synergistic Research headphone cable A major improvement over the stock cable. I want to try your ear pad upgrade. Do I order the Audeze black lambskin pads? I would appreciate any instructions  on taking off the old pads and putting new pads on.

Thank you for your help

David Pritchard

Feb 25, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #1,147 of 1,237
While I have enjoyed my time with my Dharmas, I have decided not to keep them.  Even with the Audeze pads, I find the bass not as satisfying as the bass from my TH-900s and I prefer the midrange and treble of my HE-1000s so my set has been collecting dust.  This does not take away from the fact that these are excellent headphones, however, and for some, perhaps the perfect headphone.  If anyone is interested in my Dharma, which are barely 2 months old and in mint condition, feel free to PM me.  I will include the Audeze pads in my asking price.

For those looking to buy the Audeze pads for less than what Audeze is charging, try bhphoto.com.

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #1,148 of 1,237
The black lambskin ear pads shipped today. I look forward to the modded sound of the Enigmacoustic Dharma headphones.

As it is, the sound with a Zanna Deux tube amp, Synergistic Research headphone cable, and Marantz SA11-S2 sacd is very satisfying.

David Pritchard

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #1,149 of 1,237
I joined the Headfi community in 2012 with the purchase of a Grado 225. Since then, I've slowly put together and upgraded my dedicated 2 channel speaker rig. With the addition of a Nuprime DAC 10h (DAC, pre and headphone amp with balanced and unbalanced outs) I knew it was time to step up my headphone game. A speaker upgrade later. I'm ready. 1 K'ish range.

After endless debating....LCD series, HE 560, Ether, I'm jumping in.  I should have my new Dharma by the end of the weak. This is my first big boy can. Super excited.

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #1,150 of 1,237
  The black lambskin ear pads shipped today. I look forward to the modded sound of the Enigmacoustic Dharma headphones.

As it is, the sound with a Zanna Deux tube amp, Synergistic Research headphone cable, and Marantz SA11-S2 sacd is very satisfying.

David Pritchard

My Audeze pads came yesterday. I'm using the stock cable connected to Mojo and my MacBook, and I really think the pads take the Dharma to a whole new level. Now I just need a new cable. I bought the Silver Dragon's from moon audio, but for some reason the right cup does not produce any sound when connected to a DAC or an AMP. It is fine when connected right to a DAP though.

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #1,151 of 1,237
  I joined the Headfi community in 2012 with the purchase of a Grado 225. Since then, I've slowly put together and upgraded my dedicated 2 channel speaker rig. With the addition of a Nuprime DAC 10h (DAC, pre and headphone amp with balanced and unbalanced outs) I knew it was time to step up my headphone game. A speaker upgrade later. I'm ready. 1 K'ish range.

After endless debating....LCD series, HE 560, Ether, I'm jumping in.  I should have my new Dharma by the end of the weak. This is my first big boy can. Super excited.

Methinks you're going to like them...................

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #1,152 of 1,237
Dharma arrived today. My first significant HP purchase. Gulp. Using in my main system with a Nuprime DAC 10-h. Liking them so far. Throwing different genres. everything from classical to jazz to rock and metal.

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #1,153 of 1,237
This will be a fun weekend as I put in the new Audeze black lambskin earpads.
I continue to be very happy with the addition of the Synergistic Research Headphone Cable mated to this headphone.
The depth and width of the soundstage is significantly improved. There is more detail to the instruments and much better conveyed emotion.
I think this cable and the Enigmacoustic Dharma headphone is a great combination.

David Pritchard

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #1,154 of 1,237
Dharma arrived today. My first significant HP purchase. Gulp. Using in my main system with a Nuprime DAC 10-h. Liking them so far. Throwing different genres. everything from classical to jazz to rock and metal.

They are a great headphone and can handle most genres with ease. I really liked how they sound even at low volumes and they paired really good with the iFi Micro DSD.

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #1,155 of 1,237
Yes, I'm getting grilled by my metal listening on-line friends about how it handles sibilance such as the cross over to cymbals in 80's metal, sibilant, harsh sounds in poorly recorded black metal, etc. I actually think so far it handles such grating sounds quite well. Soothes them out a bit. But, I'm still listening and thinking. Overall, I'm very impressed with everything except perhaps music that focus primarily on sub base sounds with limited treble information. I think this is going to be a great headphone across genres for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back