ENIGMAcoustics Dharma
Jan 22, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #166 of 1,237

It's really kind of a shame that these "Meets" are basically one of the few places many of these new phones are available to listen to them.I realize that "dedicated" retail Audio stores are becoming fewer faster than new Audio components are appearing,

My hope is that these new companies are actively seeking retail network distributors for their products. (I think I'd have to strap my
70 lb Equitech 1.5Q Balanced Audio Transformer along with my Metrum Acoustics Hex NOS DAC (at a minimum) into a backpack of sorts were I interested in going to a "meet"... Well at least the Hex & my Auraliti PK100 .. non of which is portable equipment ,but then
neither is any of my listening...)

My hope for any new "cans" is that they aren't "voiced" to be more "forgiving" of studio recorded music than live large scale , wide
dynamic recordings of Acoustic music. There is a computer saying that I think works for "most" recorded music Garbage In Garbage Out. Most people would "cry about it" if their playback equipment did'nt compensate for all the GIGO they listen to.

It seems there are a lot of people who want to play low integrity recorded music on high integrity equipment. They might be a lot
happier with lower integrity equipment, or learning how to buy higher integrity recordings !

Um, no... I'd just like a headphone that does the best of both worlds... I'd say my collection is about 50/50 and I certainly won't limit myself just to the 'audiophile' tracks because a headphone has problems with less stellar tracks... IMO. YMMV. 
biggrin.gif

All's a very delicate balancing act, but it is achievable.

It really isn't a matter of the resolution of the tracks being listened to . Most headphones "do" favor the broader generally more popular genres of music over others. That is really ok by me. (Many listeners of Rock seem to like Grado, Classical listeners may pick Sennheiser....etc...)

As much as we like to think that our headphones are completely neutral sounding they will sound "better"playing some genres than others. While not many headphones will make any particular genre sound "bad" they may treat some like a "lesser stepchild" as  they are really just "voiced" to make everything sound "good enough". To those who listen to just about everything may think their headphones are "neutral" they are "good enough" to play everything, but they are "inadvertently"are a bit weaker playing some.

While the "Dharma" may not be placed as a "TOTL" headphone just yet. I was saying that I hope that they are "truly" voiced to sound"Neutral"... not the "Industry's" version of neutral....& let the "chips just fall where they may" for all music that is listened to through them..... IMO it seems MMDV    
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #167 of 1,237
  Might end up being the best bang for buck high end TOTL of 2015 seeing that moon audio leaked the price of HE-1000 as $2499.
Taking into account the general consensus that the HE-1000 sound signature lies somewhere in between the LCD3 and the HD800 (Still sound stage king, god when is someone gonna make something with equal or better. Not even the 5k Abyss/SR-009 nore the 16k Orpheus equalled the life like sound stage of the HD800)

Sorry for raving in the end..

Try out the K-1000?

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #169 of 1,237

Try out the K-1000?

K-1000 might have a larger soundstage than the HD800... but that's pretty much all it has going for it lol ...

Interestingly enough, I see that the K-1000 is available for purchase once again. The headphone that really caught my attention on the same page was a hp called the Jecklin Float Qa. I think these may be being produced by Quad.(In which case the 2 flat panel "speakers" being hung on both sides of your head may be ES panels)

Neither of these "cans" are anywhere in the price range that I would consider, I like to "look" anyway. They can be viewed on Stereodesk.com

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #170 of 1,237
  . . . The headphone that really caught my attention on the same page was a hp called the Jecklin Float Qa. I think these may be being produced by Quad.(In which case the 2 flat panel "speakers" being hung on both sides of your head may be ES panels)

I just saw these last week in Munkong Gadget in Bangkok.  It sounded like the guy said `Quad` when I asked which company made them, but I just assume his pronunciation was bad.  Very cool.  But I thought Quad was British? 

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #171 of 1,237

I just saw these last week in Munkong Gadget in Bangkok.  It sounded like the guy said `Quad` when I asked which company made them, but I just assume his pronunciation was bad.  Very cool.  But I thought Quad was British? 

German Quad, also makes the legendary ESL57. This is a remake of the Jörg Jecklin Float - and it pictures both the headphone and the man.

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #172 of 1,237
According to an earlier thread on this website devoted to the Jecklin Float QA it is Quad Germany (who took over servicing of the
ES 57 & ES 63 ESLs ) & not the original British company who is making these phones.

(He says while really enjoying his HE-6 cans, after a few mods to tailor their sound a bit ; Now I need to work on "fixing" their comfort level. ) ( Sorry, I realize this is "Dharma" thread, but I was just enjoying LvB piano sonatas too much to just not mention this)

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #173 of 1,237
I bet the Dharma 2 will use Planarmagnetic/Electrostatic hybrid drivers instead of Dynamic/Electrostatic...
THAT would be something 
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #174 of 1,237
  I bet the Dharma 2 will use Planarmagnetic/Electrostatic hybrid drivers instead of Dynamic/Electrostatic...
THAT would be something 
biggrin.gif

honestly at that point I'd just say make a single well designed planar/stat instead...

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #176 of 1,237

omg lol...I don't care how good those might sound, I'd feel like an abolute tool wearing them. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #178 of 1,237

While you're in Bangkok you should stop by Jet Live Audio. They have all the good stuff and very nice people also.

Actually my apartement is very close to Jet Live.  I agree - good people and a lot of nice `phones.  But the Munkong main store near Arawan is just mind-blowing: every high-end headphone I know of out for you to demo, every Schitt, every Woo (even the mono blocks), the Mytek Manhattan, etc, etc, etc.  There`s gotta be a million dollars worth of gear just sitting out there for people to try. While I was listening to the HE-6 and HE-560 out of the Manhattan, the guy actually went out of the store for about 20 minutes to buy soup or something, left me all alone for ages.  Amazing. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #179 of 1,237
When can we expect the next set of impressions... March right? That's closer to their release date.

EnigmaAcoustics -

May I suggest sending a demo pair to a trustworthy head-fier that can get the ball rolling on some impressions. That has been done several times and seems to help spread the word a bit. I would be very interested in reading them. I have already assigned my geek pulse xfi to die for these if they deliver clarity, bass slam, soundstage, and good mids. I'm sure there are plenty of capable people up for the task. Can these HP's deliver on those fronts? Are they up to the task?

~ Cheers

Grizzly

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #180 of 1,237
When can we expect the next set of impressions... March right? That's closer to their release date.

EnigmaAcoustics -

May I suggest sending a demo pair to a trustworthy head-fier that can get the ball rolling on some impressions. That has been done several times and seems to help spread the word a bit. I would be very interested in reading them. I have already assigned my geek pulse xfi to die for these if they deliver clarity, bass slam, soundstage, and good mids. I'm sure there are plenty of capable people up for the task. Can these HP's deliver on those fronts? Are they up to the task?

~ Cheers

Grizzly

+1 i agree...a loaner pair to go around the more experienced headfi'ers would certainly help to uncover what the dharma is and what she delivers...some of us have very high end rigs to test those headphones out to its extreme and give us all more info about how it sounds and give us more insights what its weaknesnesses are and its strenghts :wink:
I would suggest three loaners to roulate between certain more experienced headfi'ers, one for the americas, one for europe and one for asia (eastern) countries

Does anyone know if they actually know about this thread???????? As i didnt see any post of the manufacturer (or its marketing man) on this thread....maybe an idea to let them know about this thread????

With this said i wouldnt mind hooking the dharma up to my PaG and compare her to my wonderful Code-X.

Anyone knows what connectors they use on the dharma? Mini XLR? Or what hifiman uses?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back