Engadget SE535 Review
Aug 26, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #2 of 17
Read this a few moments ago... you beat me to posting!

Interesting comparing the FR graph of the SE530 to Etymotics ER4P... they are quite close, making me wonder why I was so repulsed by the sound of the Shure SE535 at CanJam, when at the same time I appreciated the realism of Etymotics

graphCompare.php

Cable looks superb on the 535... feels a great deal stronger than most, if not all, IEM cables.

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 17
So, based on the review we can conclude that Shure basically did nothing to improve upon the sound of the se530. Same drivers, same sound - all in a market that is only getting more competitive. Yeah, they added replaceable cables, but that's something they should have done a long time ago anyway. And of course they had to make the cables proprietary, so they squeeze every last penny out of customers.

And it still retails for a ridiculous amount of money. Sounds like shure is trying to survive on name alone. Unwise.

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 17
That is really interesting, but we have take into account that numbers and how something sounds to us can be complete unrelated.

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 17
^I tried both the SE535 and the Hf5, and agree with the graph that the SE535 has more bass... terribly plain, but more. The numbers add up for me, since the Hf5 and the ER4P have nearly identical frequency response.

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
^I tried both the SE535 and the Hf5, and agree with the graph that the SE535 has more bass... terribly plain, but more. The numbers add up for me, since the Hf5 and the ER4P have nearly identical frequency response.

535 has more bass compared to the hf5 or more compared to the older se530? ?

have always wanted to try the se530 should i or go 535.

and a little more bass can mean a lot at times especially when u add some eq into the equations... how well do the respond to eq? particularly in the lower bands??

thanks

Aug 26, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
Read this a few moments ago... you beat me to posting!

Interesting comparing the FR graph of the SE530 to Etymotics ER4P... they are quite close, making me wonder why I was so repulsed by the sound of the Shure SE535 at CanJam, when at the same time I appreciated the realism of Etymotics

graphCompare.php

Cable looks superb on the 535... feels a great deal stronger than most, if not all, IEM cables.

First off, that's not a 535 graph and secondly, people read into reviews what they like. Here's the quote "-- as far as we can tell, Shure is using exactly the same triple-driver setup to produce an insane dynamic range that's crisp, clear, and full from top to bottom with no perceptible break-in period (it's open to debate, but armature drivers are often considered to not need any break-in time). In fact, if anything, we'd actually argue that the sound is too perfect, which makes it adept at calling out imperfections in lossy formats" Nothing but opinion about changes and then that they're too perfect. Seems many prefer to dwell on the opinion that not much has changed and ignore the qualitative statement. We've had some shure correspondence in another thread that does say they've been sonically adjusted. I agree that an HF5 is probably the best value in detail and naturalness. You'll find it matches the 530 curve even better than the 4p but there's more to the sound than frequency response.

No one has ever called the HF2 middy or lacking highs. Those here that have owned both the 530 and 535 have all preferred the 535 sonically.m If I was going to buy some new phones I'd probably get the HF5's at 1/2 the price or some JH5s at this price so it's not about what I personally prefer. 

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 17
That review spends WAAAY to much talking about ergonomics and only a couple sentences about SQ...and basically saying it sounds the same as SE530?  Not very helpful IMHO.  There are clearly sonic improvements in treble and soundstage.

Yes, the SE530 (and SE535) has loads more bass, fullness and visiceral impact than any Ety product period.  No contest.

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
That review spends WAAAY to much talking about ergonomics and only a couple sentences about SQ...and basically saying it sounds the same as SE530?  Not very helpful IMHO.  There are clearly sonic improvements in treble and soundstage.

Yes, the SE530 (and SE535) has loads more bass, fullness and visiceral impact than any Ety product period.  No contest.

It is Engadget after all :D

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:

Loads more bass = overstatement tbh but yeah, agree with ya apart from that.

Aug 26, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #11 of 17
Yeah I got pretty much the same out of that review. Lots and lots of time comparing the differences in packaging and how much better built the SE535 is and then the fit. There's like a sentence or two on sound which the SE535 is apparently a more refined SE530 according to that review but that doesn't help much if you have no idea what a SE530 sounds like.

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 17
Well, fit is important. I'm finding myself getting annoyed at the fit of the 535, which I find is much more complicated than the 530's.

Sound is better IMO, particularly in the treble.

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #14 of 17
$649.00 rrp in Australia for the SE535 is atrocious. Just listening to my SE530's right now (which my friend gave me) and the bass doesn't extend enough and the treble feels a bit harsh - high hats and the slam of a drum can sound very sibilant. The vocals also feel a bit sibilant at times, especially when the singer screams or raises their voice in the song.

Honestly, I am shocked that an iem with it's own driver dedicated to high frequencies could sound so rolled off and harsh. I mean I don't mind the rolled off treble after a while but for the love of god, there is no excuse for treble being so harsh.

It would be unwise to think that the SE535 and SE530 won't sound very very similar and probably exactly the same to a lot of people.

If I paid anything more than $200 for these I would feel pretty ripped off. Shame on Shure for not doing much to the SE535 except for jacking up the price and throwing in a few little tweaks. Another thing that bugs me is that Shure reduced their warranty in Australia for these from 2 years to only 1 year...another reason to tell Shure to go shove it.

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #15 of 17
@projectdenz..are you sure you have a good seal?  what is your system?   I am getting a hard time to believe that any of the top shure iem's would have sibilance or be harsh in any way in the highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back