Emu 0404usb vs other usb dac's
May 13, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #61 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone care to comment on the 0404's output to active speakers? i'm considering getting one for my audioengine speakers but an unsure whether it's worth upgrading the source(currently mac mini with a radioshack mini to mini
smily_headphones1.gif
)

i'd rarely use it with headphones...

Should be no problem using the 0404 USB to drive any powered load. For me, the position of the main out level knob has been in the 10 o'clock to 12 o'clock range for most material driving my monoblock/speaker rig--right in the same range as with other preamps or sources.

And that's the output that everyone is using to drive external headamps from the 0404, and so far I've heard no complaints about that.

There's no input sensitivity spec on the audioengine site, but if they can be driven by any other soundcard, the 0404 will be fine.

May 13, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #62 of 126
Yes the output on the EMU0404 has quite a bit of range. With the output knob turned to max the source is way too hot to use with my Klipsch computer speakers. Can barely turn the Klipsch's on before the volume is too loud.

I do sometimes wonder if bypassing that volume Pot would mean a cleaner output signal... but better not to think about that stuff and just enjoy the music!

May 13, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #63 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I run the 0404 to my external SR-71, I have the E-Mu volume knob full tilt, then use the volume knob on the SR-71 as actual volume knob. (I assume this to be the correct method)

Using Asio, if my 'phones are directly connected to the 0404 ( like when I'm charging batteries) the volume is probably anywhere between 10 - 12 oclock. It really depends on what material.
Previously when I was using direct-stream, I had the volume knob turned farther during this circumstance.

It may actually be beneficial to set the EMU output knob near the middle of the range (say, around 2 o'clock or so). There should still be plenty of volume headroom on your SR-71 amplifier. The reason for this is that any wiper-based volume pot will track best near the middle of the range (the two channels will be most closely matched). At the extremes, the two channels are probably off by 1 dB or 2, which is barely detectable, but I feel better with the pot in the middle
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #65 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone care to comment on the 0404's output to active speakers? i'm considering getting one for my audioengine speakers but an unsure whether it's worth upgrading the source(currently mac mini with a radioshack mini to mini
smily_headphones1.gif
)

i'd rarely use it with headphones...

I have the 0404 hooked to my Klipschs and IMO they sound pretty good. I also have it hooked up to my PS3 which is a bonus
icon10.gif

May 14, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #66 of 126
I got my 0404usb today in the mail and hooked it up right away. So far I've only been listening for about 20minutes but I love it so far. Even with lower quality mp3s I can tell a difference from my on board sound card and even a greater difference with flac/etc.

I have to go to class (figures its Sound design lol) but I don't wanna!
frown.gif

May 14, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #67 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by b7nguyen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 0404 hooked to my Klipschs and IMO they sound pretty good. I also have it hooked up to my PS3 which is a bonus
icon10.gif

So you are running PS3=>S/PDIF=>0404usb? Does it ever desync? I plan to do the same when I get a PS3, but I had some weird pops occasionally when I had x-fi connected to E-MU via coax.

May 14, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #68 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you are running PS3=>S/PDIF=>0404usb? Does it ever desync? I plan to do the same when I get a PS3, but I had some weird pops occasionally when I had x-fi connected to E-MU via coax.

Yes.

My brother is the one thats usually on the PS3. I'll ask him and get back to you.

May 17, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #70 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He said there were no problems with the sync nor does he hear a pop. Hope this helps.

May 17, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #72 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone gotten this to work in linux?

I'm also very interested in the answer to this question.

I really didn't try the usb since I'd read that the EMU0404usb doesn't use the standard linux usb audio format.

But, as a standalone dac the 0404 SPDIF-in worked fine from the optical out of my Chaintech AV-710 soundcard on my linux box. Produced nice clean sound from the headphone out.

May 17, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #73 of 126
I am a noob and want to get either the 0404 USB or the Total Bithead. What are the differences or similarities? I like the Bithead because it is smaller but the 0404 looks more flexible. I wanted something I could take with me for my PMP as an amp but also use on my laptop. Maybe I need to buy both.
wink.gif

May 18, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #74 of 126
Hi. After seeing all the commotion around 0404 USB, i decided to pick one up next week. But i dont know which cans to pick up to pair it up with. Im considering mainly HD595 or HD580. Straight out of the 0404 USb which one would sound better for classical? Thanks a bunch
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back