Emu 0404usb vs other usb dac's
May 10, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #46 of 126
Thanks so much for this thread guys. I purchased an EMU today with just the modest goal of eliminating the distortion that comes along with onboard audio (the cracks and pops and hiss), and it sounds terrific. Everything sounds so clean through my SR-80s. I feel my system is now worthy of the 325is that should appear on my doorstep tomorrow.

May 10, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #47 of 126
I'm absolutely loving my 0404 USB. Using it with HD650 and the amp is more than adequate for me, volume currently at 10 o'clock.
580smile.gif
The unit is currently not even connected to my computer with USB, but with optical cable from my Nvidia Soundstorm. It's working fine as stand alone DAC, once configured to use external source.

May 10, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #48 of 126
I tried them with my 325is this morning. I can't get over how smooth everything sounds. My ears are crying for a break. They really need a day or two off, but it's hard to stop listening.

May 11, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #49 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by wlz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm absolutely loving my 0404 USB...........

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
......I can't get over how smooth everything sounds.......it's hard to stop listening.

Two more believers in the most insane value in audio!

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

May 11, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #50 of 126
Just a quick question. I own a pair of HD595s. I ordered an EMU 0404usb today and will hopefully get it early next week
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway, I was wondering if it would be worth purchasing an internal sound card. I am running off of an onboard (real tek) sound card right now. The reason I ask is because newegg currently has their Xtreme Gamer X-Fi card on sale for $90 (with mail in rebate). Would it really be worth getting the sound card?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #51 of 126
Well I should be getting my income tax check soon and have decided to buy a 0404. What is the best place to get it that will ship to canada and preferabely take paypal?

May 11, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #52 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtheby05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick question. I own a pair of HD595s. I ordered an EMU 0404usb today and will hopefully get it early next week
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway, I was wondering if it would be worth purchasing an internal sound card. I am running off of an onboard (real tek) sound card right now. The reason I ask is because newegg currently has their Xtreme Gamer X-Fi card on sale for $90 (with mail in rebate). Would it really be worth getting the sound card?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

no need unless you really need EAX from the x-fi series. otherwise, stick with the emu

May 11, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #53 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtheby05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

If your main usage is music listening, then 0404 USB is definately better than X-Fi Xtreme Gamer, IMHO.

May 11, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #54 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I run the 0404 to my external SR-71, I have the E-Mu volume knob full tilt, then use the volume knob on the SR-71 as actual volume knob. (I assume this to be the correct method)

Using Asio, if my 'phones are directly connected to the 0404 ( like when I'm charging batteries) the volume is probably anywhere between 10 - 12 oclock. It really depends on what material.
Previously when I was using direct-stream, I had the volume knob turned farther during this circumstance.

Are you connecting the 0404 from the line out to the SR71's line in? If thats true then I have the following confusions.

1. Isn't that line from the 0404 amped, and if so, wouldn't the sound be only as good as that produced by the 0404's internal amp?
2. If 1 is true, then wouldn't be better to just use the headphone jack of the 0404 instead of going through another amp? (Asume that the volume is sufficient out of the 0404's headphone jack)

I guess my ultimate question is, how does the SR71 improve (not just make louder) the SQ?

May 11, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #55 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by b7nguyen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you connecting the 0404 from the line out to the SR71's line in? If thats true then I have the following confusions.

1. Isn't that line from the 0404 amped, and if so, wouldn't the sound be only as good as that produced by the 0404's internal amp?
2. If 1 is true, then wouldn't be better to just use the headphone jack of the 0404 instead of going through another amp? (Asume that the volume is sufficient out of the 0404's headphone jack)

I guess my ultimate question is, how does the SR71 improve (not just make louder) the SQ?

Yes, the line out is amplified from the output of the DAC, but separately from the internal headamp, for a good reason.

A way of thinking about it is that a line output is designed to accurately amplify voltage but not necessarily provide a lot of current in doing so.....leaving that job up to a headamp, in the case of headphone listening, or a preamp stage in the case of a speaker rig. Line outputs are typically designed and specified to drive loads (impedances typically 10,000 to 50,000 ohms) that only pull a small fraction of the current that would be drawn by headphones (of 32 to 600 ohms.)

The gain stage that drives the 0404 USB line outs has to be separate from the internal headamp--considering that the line outs are actually balanced outputs.

So, the stage that drives the headphone jack on the 0404 USB is not in the chain when the line outs drive the SR-71.

May 11, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #56 of 126
Thanks for the explanation! Now I can enjoy my 0404 + SR71 knowing that I have it properly configured.

May 12, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #57 of 126
To be honest I have done this both ways. I have had my HD650s directly into the headphone amp of the Emu in the front, and through the same port w/SR71, and finally the output in the back w/ the SR71. The back is the best, no doubt about it. But changing the rechargeable batteries in my amp is getting to be a major nuisance. I'm used to akalines that go for like 50 hours, but the rechargeables only do around 5 hours. It is during the recharging that I run the headphones without the SR71. But there have been a few times where I got lazy and left them there for a few extra hours.
Recently I found another alkaline set I never used, so I'm giving the rechargeables a break, and now they are connected the correct way to the mini-line out in the rear. I have the "Main Output" knob maxed for this configuration. Sounds terrific.

But to make a long story short, use the back if you have an amp. Also make sure NOT to use the back without an amp, as I imagine that could ruin your headphones, due to too strong a current.

May 12, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #58 of 126
Here's a no-brainer in terms of value: Monica2 DAC + USB converter + SMPS = 180$
A few extra bucks for connectors, a simple, cheap and cheerful case (I've put mine in a 10$ jewelery box) and you get an amazingly musical little DAC.
Free from digititis, more transparent and more refined than any other source I've listened to at this sort of money.

May 13, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #60 of 126
anyone care to comment on the 0404's output to active speakers? i'm considering getting one for my audioengine speakers but an unsure whether it's worth upgrading the source(currently mac mini with a radioshack mini to mini
smily_headphones1.gif
)

i'd rarely use it with headphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back