Emu 0404usb vs other usb dac's
Apr 12, 2007 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 126

Valius

New Head-Fier
Hello, I read almoust all threads ragarding dacs I'm interested in, but still can't decide. My sound card(creative sound blaster live value) is very outdated and is not capable of bit-perfect playback. I got impression that external dac is way better than internal SC, thats why I'm considering usb dac. My budget is about 350$. So my question is which one should be better option: emu 0404usb (210$ or 160eur) or musiland md-10(I don't know what the price could be including shipping(Lithuania), but I guess ~350$). I chose those, because they have integrated headphone amplif. Is the sound quality very different from those dacs?
Or should it be better option to by x-fi extreme music and add zhaolu 2.5(I don't consider to mod) ?
I have Ultrasones 2200ule and listen to various kinds of music, except the metal, hard rock, rap etc. Don't play games either, and don't intend to do any records
blink.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 126
The nice thing about the 0404USB is you get a great DAC and a nice headphone amp for one low price. I greatly prefer it for music over plugging my headphones directly into the Xfi card. I've heard the XMeridian sound card makes nice music from headphone connection, but have not used it personally. It seems that you've already done a lot of reading on the subject, and have an ample budget. I would say, start with the 0404USB because it has so many uses and connections. You can always add another headphone amp later. If you have a friend over who has a guitar, you can try some recording-- endless opportunities with the 0404USB audio interface.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 126
The 0404 usb is such a versatile device for me. I can hook my speakers to them (They accept only 1/4" inch so 1/4" balanced outputs from my 0404 usb works out perfect)... I have used its toslink in and out. It's headphone out and its mini out for connecting to my headroom amp at work.

I have an audigy 2 zs in my computer and it surely is at least 20 percent perhaps 30 percent better sounding than it in all areas.

Apr 17, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 126
I bought an 0404 USB due to this thread, and am extremely glad that I did. The sound quality over my audigy 2 zs and xenos amp is very evident, especially in tone, timbre, and the small details - I didn't know that the K501 actually had this much texture. Also, using the ER-4P, I cannot hear any background noise nor any harmonic distortion. Furthermore, I don't feel the need to get an amp because the one built-in to the 0404 drives my K501 better than the xenos amp ever did - the bass is obvious, and the overall sound is extremely balanced and powerful. And the great thing is, I can still use the Audigy 2 ZS for games without switching away from the 0404, thanks to the coaxial input and direct monitoring. Suggested for anyone who wants a high quality source + amp at a low price.

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 126
Recently I compared my 0404usb and x-fi extreme music using Ultrasone 2200ule (impedance 70) headphones, pluged directly to these soundcards. So I'm a little bit disappointed, becauce I bought 0404usb. First annoying thing is that built in headamp. in 0404usb is only moderate. I can't get enough volume lisening some Music DVDs. In fact, I get the same volume level as from x-fi extreme music, which don't has boosted A-class headphone amp. Now as regards sound quality, I couldn't tell a damn difference. They sound the same. My brother also couldn't discern any difference. We also compared these soundcards using KRK Rocket powerd 8 sound monitors - again - no audible difference. Maybe I don't have very good musical ears, but what the heck if it sounds the same for me. I seriously consider to return it back and switch to cheaper x-fi extreme music, and later buy good ampl.

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought an 0404 USB due to this thread, and am extremely glad that I did. The sound quality over my audigy 2 zs and xenos amp is very evident, especially in tone, timbre, and the small details - I didn't know that the K501 actually had this much texture. Also, using the ER-4P, I cannot hear any background noise nor any harmonic distortion. Furthermore, I don't feel the need to get an amp because the one built-in to the 0404 drives my K501 better than the xenos amp ever did - the bass is obvious, and the overall sound is extremely balanced and powerful. And the great thing is, I can still use the Audigy 2 ZS for games without switching away from the 0404, thanks to the coaxial input and direct monitoring. Suggested for anyone who wants a high quality source + amp at a low price.

hey Ferraro which Xenos portable amp did you compare to.thanks

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently I compared my 0404usb and x-fi extreme music using Ultrasone 2200ule (impedance 70) headphones, pluged directly to these soundcards. So I'm a little bit disappointed, becauce I bought 0404usb. First annoying thing is that built in headamp. in 0404usb is only moderate. I can't get enough volume lisening some Music DVDs. In fact, I get the same volume level as from x-fi extreme music, which don't has boosted A-class headphone amp. Now as regards sound quality, I couldn't tell a damn difference. They sound the same. My brother also couldn't discern any difference. We also compared these soundcards using KRK Rocket powerd 8 sound monitors - again - no audible difference. Maybe I don't have very good musical ears, but what the heck if it sounds the same for me. I seriously consider to return it back and switch to cheaper x-fi extreme music, and later buy good ampl.

dude, upgrade your cans
smily_headphones1.gif
In all seriousness, if you have enough time left on your 0404 return period, get yourself some hd650's from amazon or headphone.com (both have 30 day return) and try them with the 0404usb and then come back and say that you dont like it. Your wallet will not be happy with you in the end if you do.

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #10 of 126
Yeah I've never heard an X-Fi so I really can't tell you how it compares to that. If you can't tell the difference and have no use for the utility of the EMU 0404 usb (The portability/usbness/inputs/outputs) then by all means you should return it asap.

Spend the money on better headphones is not a bad suggestion at all... though whether HD650s are right for you no idea. I am a firm believer that headphones come before source as this has heavily been my experience.

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #11 of 126
Quote:

I've heard somebody said 0404 is a good match with grado...
why not give it a try since u have SR225...
i used 0404 bofore, due to the incompatible with my speaker...hv changed
but no doubt, it is a nice card which worth for wat u paid..
600smile.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #12 of 126
Quote:

In my experience, the 0404 USB's amp has just barely enough power to have a sense of what the K501 is capable of, and this is at its almost maximum volume. It gets completely slaughtered by the K340, which is quite unfortunate for me. Exactly which Xenos amp did you have? Now I'll know to avoid it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't have an HD650 but I doubt it is easier to drive than the K501, based on posts here.

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #13 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, I read almoust all threads ragarding dacs I'm interested in, but still can't decide. My sound card(creative sound blaster live value) is very outdated and is not capable of bit-perfect playback. I got impression that external dac is way better than internal SC, thats why I'm considering usb dac. My budget is about 350$. So my question is which one should be better option: emu 0404usb (210$ or 160eur) or musiland md-10(I don't know what the price could be including shipping(Lithuania), but I guess ~350$). I chose those, because they have integrated headphone amplif. Is the sound quality very different from those dacs?
Or should it be better option to by x-fi extreme music and add zhaolu 2.5(I don't consider to mod) ?
I have Ultrasones 2200ule and listen to various kinds of music, except the metal, hard rock, rap etc. Don't play games either, and don't intend to do any records
blink.gif

bro...u can try zhaolu D2.5A actually....i have used the emu0404...which i think is inferior than zhaolu(in my opinion), in term of the sound-stage and traspency, zhaolu have bit 0404 in every aspect...

jz my opinion...
basshead.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 126
Opinions differ so much when it comes to audio. I'm beginning to think audio quality is a black art and purely a matter of personal prefernce and not a science at all because there is a person on these forums who claims the EMU 0404 USB sounds better than both a $1000.00 and $20000.00 DAC he had and that's with HD650's using the EMU 0404 amp too. <shrug>

Apr 20, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #15 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Opinions differ so much when it comes to audio. I'm beginning to think audio quality is a black art and purely a matter of personal prefernce and not a science at all because there is a person on these forums who claims the EMU 0404 USB sounds better than both a $1000.00 and $20000.00 DAC he had and that's with HD650's using the EMU 0404 amp too. <shrug>

How true, opinions do differ.

OTOH, I have never owned the highest end gear, but much of what I have owned in the past 30+ years in the hobby has been Stereophile Class B or better at some point (likely a year before I bought it used at a large discount from the highly-hyped initial market value!) And I stand by my previously stated opinion that the 0404 USB is the most insane value in audio that I have experienced, ever.

I think somehow AKM got it extraordinarily right with this DAC, more than anything else. The natural timbre of instruments and detail is amazing, even though (based on the pics in the other thread about the innards of the 0404 USB) it apparently contains rather run-of-the-mill components.

Or perhaps it proves that the design is more important than some of the details of the execution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back